From: Tim Perry on

"murfit" <darren.murf(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi guys, I play in a rock band playing covers in pubs and clubs. we
> play zeppelin, stones, clash, various blues rhcp etc tunes. the band
> consists of drums, bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and four
> vocals with keys on occasion. the venues we play in hold between two
> and four hundred people
>
> Our pa is getting a bit ancient and we recently decided to upgrade to
> a new setup. could anyone suggest a good setup for around the three to
> four grand mark?
>
> we're looking for something that will give good clear vocals and a
> powerful drum sound.
>
> any feedback would be greatly appreciated
> Thanks
> Darren Murphy

2 Yorkville USC1P subs

2 Yorkville U215P tops

Probably closer to $5k depending on how hard you shop or if you can get B
stock.

From: sluggo on
On Jul 4, 8:52 am, "Tim Perry" <timpe...(a)nospammeadelphia.net> wrote:
> "murfit" <darren.m...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Hi guys, I play in a rock band playing covers in pubs and clubs. we
> > play zeppelin, stones, clash, various blues rhcp etc tunes. the band
> > consists of drums, bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar and four
> > vocals with keys on occasion. the venues we play in hold between two
> > and four hundred people
>
> > Our pa is getting a bit ancient and we recently decided to upgrade to
> > a new setup. could anyone suggest a good setup for around the three to
> > four grand mark?
>
> > we're looking for something that will give good clear vocals and a
> > powerful drum sound.
>
> > any feedback would be greatly appreciated
> > Thanks
> > Darren Murphy
>
> 2 Yorkville USC1P subs
>
> 2 Yorkville U215P tops
>
> Probably closer to $5k depending on how hard you shop or if you can get B
> stock.- Hide quoted text -

There's no such thing as a U215P as of yet... Just the passive duel
15" U215's or the powered, single 15", U15P. I know because I own 2
USC1P's and 2 U15P tops and they sound amazing. Excellent vocal
clarity and you can't get closer to plug and play than with this
setup. However, as easy and tempting as it is to just use the built in
processor on the U15P's and run a jumper to the subs, I tried it a
couple of times when I got them and I still prefer running the subs
off an aux send, because even using all your HPF on everything but
kick, bass, keys, and tunes, I still get a way cleaner, punchier
bottom end running aux subs with just the afformentioned channels in
them. Not to mention way more headroom on the subs...

As for what they'll cover, with your music, I have no qualms telling
you they will cover any situation up to 200-250, because I do it
regularly, with hard rock, with ease. But, 400 would be pushing it
depending on the room and how loud you relly want to go. I will tell
you, the sound of the horn loaded subs takes some getting used to if
you're used to front loaded; they deliver a way better sounding, deep,
full bottom end, but not that in your face kick thump, at least not
with just one a side. I find they start limiting before the tops, but
HPFing them at 35 or 40 Hz seems to help gain some headroom on them,
with little audible loss...

Mine cost just under $5000 with my 12% Canadian taxes.

From: George's ProSound Company on
I will tell
you, the sound of the horn loaded subs takes some getting used to if
you're used to front loaded; they deliver a way better sounding, deep,
full bottom end, but not that in your face kick thump, at least not
with just one a side. I find they start limiting before the tops, but
HPFing them at 35 or 40 Hz seems to help gain some headroom on them,
with little audible loss...

Mine cost just under $5000 with my 12% Canadian taxes.

so sloggo what subs are you running that put out anything under 35 in any
quantity?
and what instrument is feeding them substantial sub 35 Hz signal?
george

From: Eeyore on

sluggo wrote:

> I will tell you, the sound of the horn loaded subs takes some getting used to
> if
> you're used to front loaded; they deliver a way better sounding, deep,
> full bottom end, but not that in your face kick thump, at least not
> with just one a side. I find they start limiting before the tops, but
> HPFing them at 35 or 40 Hz seems to help gain some headroom on them,
> with little audible loss...

There's a very good reason for that. Most of today's subs are merely highly
tuned cabinets with barely a couple of octaves of bandwidth. And it falls off
pretty sharp either side.

Horn loading can cover a far wider bandwidth and be far flatter in response.
They do need to be big to go low though. Like this for example.
http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/pa/2X15-folded.cfm

These are what I used to use. Couple two, side by side and it's -3dB @ 35Hz.
http://www.rainbowmusicomaha.com/evwbinsubs12dualaltecpair888.jpg

These were classics too
http://www.martin-audio.com/specifications/oldproducts/DataSheet/ModularPAdatasheet.zip

Graham

From: Philipp Wachtel on
Joe Kotroczo:

> Ron Capik
>
>> One doesn't replace stuff just because it's old, as in:
>> my Stratovarius is ancient and I'd like to replace it with
>> something modern. <G>
>
> Is that a cross between a stratocaster and a stradivari?
>
> ;-)

AFAIK, Stratovarius is a metal band from Finland. ;-)
http://stratovarius.com

Phil

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6