From: George's ProSound Company on

"sluggo" <sluggo7(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
On Jul 6, 4:06 pm, "George's ProSound Company" <bm...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> I will tell
> you, the sound of the horn loaded subs takes some getting used to if
> you're used to front loaded; they deliver a way better sounding, deep,
> full bottom end, but not that in your face kick thump, at least not
> with just one a side. I find they start limiting before the tops, but
> HPFing them at 35 or 40 Hz seems to help gain some headroom on them,
> with little audible loss...
>
> Mine cost just under $5000 with my 12% Canadian taxes.
>
> so sloggo what subs are you running that put out anything under 35 in any
> quantity?
> and what instrument is feeding them substantial sub 35 Hz signal?
> george

I realize that George and you're right. I guess I should clarify for
my application... With the harder rock I'm usually mixing, I tend to
boost 75Hz rather sharply on the kick to get some of that rock kick
drum thump I mentioned. I started off doing it without a HPF below
that boost and it was tending to make the USC1P's go into limit on
every hit. I imagine what was happening was that the slope of that
heavy 75Hz boost was extending down into that 35Hz range and eating up
power on stuff that is really barely in the kick to boost anyway. When
I started placing a steep HPF at 40 Hz, to better isolate that 75Hz
boost, there was a dramatic increase in the headroom I now had
available before limiting. I admit to being a relative newb, but I've
been experimenting constantly with these relatively new subs to try
and get more umph out of them and these are my observations to date...
Any further advice is welcome.

And I thought you filtered Google Group posts? ;-)

I would take the HPF up even higher to maybe 50

or better yet use a aux to feed the subs if your not already doing that
this is one thing I love about "better" dsks , is the variable HPF on every
channel so each input can be optimized for the cleanest sound

and no I do noy filter google
I filter indviduals
george

From: Joe Kotroczo on
On 7/07/08 5:18, in article 48718AEE.6A3866C5(a)hotmail.com, "Eeyore"
<rabbitsfriendsandrelations(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

(...)

>> If it was the best system you ever heard, I guess you never heard the
>> Grateful Dead/Ultrasound/Meyer rig. I was one of those people who loved
>> to hate the Grateful Dead until I heard that rig. I could go on-and-on
>> about the GD's sound. But that's for another thread...
>
> Ah no, but I did see, Oh who was it ? The German early techno style band's rig
> which was not
> unsimilar. Kraftwerk ? 'We are the Robots' etc. Or was it Can ? Can't temember
> which now.

Kraftwerk.

Can was psychedelic rock.

--
Joe Kotroczo kotroczo(a)mac.com

From: sluggo on
On Jul 7, 5:42 am, "George's ProSound Company" <bm...(a)yahoo.com>
wrote:
> "sluggo" <slug...(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jul 6, 4:06 pm, "George's ProSound Company" <bm...(a)yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I will tell
> > you, the sound of the horn loaded subs takes some getting used to if
> > you're used to front loaded; they deliver a way better sounding, deep,
> > full bottom end, but not that in your face kick thump, at least not
> > with just one a side. I find they start limiting before the tops, but
> > HPFing them at 35 or 40 Hz seems to help gain some headroom on them,
> > with little audible loss...
>
> > Mine cost just under $5000 with my 12% Canadian taxes.
>
> > so sloggo what subs are you running that put out anything under 35 in any
> > quantity?
> > and what instrument is feeding them substantial sub 35 Hz signal?
> > george
>
> I realize that George and you're right. I guess I should clarify for
> my application... With the harder rock I'm usually mixing, I tend to
> boost 75Hz rather sharply on the kick to get some of that rock kick
> drum thump I mentioned. I started off doing it without a HPF below
> that boost and it was tending to make the USC1P's go into limit on
> every hit. I imagine what was happening was that the slope of that
> heavy 75Hz boost was extending down into that 35Hz range and eating up
> power on stuff that is really barely in the kick to boost anyway. When
> I started placing a steep HPF at 40 Hz, to better isolate that 75Hz
> boost, there was a dramatic increase in the headroom I now had
> available before limiting. I admit to being a relative newb, but I've
> been experimenting constantly with these relatively new subs to try
> and get more umph out of them and these are my observations to date...
> Any further advice is welcome.
>
> And I thought you filtered Google Group posts? ;-)
>
> I would take the HPF up even higher to maybe 50
>
> or better yet use a aux to feed the subs if your not already doing that
> this is one thing I love about "better" dsks , is the variable HPF on every
> channel so each  input can be optimized for the cleanest sound
>
> and no I do noy filter google
> I filter indviduals
> george

Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try... I did mention running aux
subs and fyi, I'm running these cabs via an O1v96, so I have lots of
eq available. My thing right now is I seem to have to dial in some
pretty extreme eq on the kick to get the sound I want, which works,
but it makes me a bit uneasy as far as the +/- 6db "rule of thumb" of
judicious eq'ing goes. I'm using a D6 just inside the hole, but I
can't seem to achieve that "I barely have to use any eq with a D6"
rant I always hear.
From: Denny Strauser on
George's ProSound Company wrote:
> I would take the HPF up even higher to maybe 50
>
> or better yet use a aux to feed the subs if your not already doing that
> this is one thing I love about "better" dsks , is the variable HPF on every
> channel so each input can be optimized for the cleanest sound

If he is running Bass in the system, I'd run the HP filter at 40Hz. The
lowest note of a 4 string bass is around 40Hz; a 5 string bass goes down
to 31Hz.

But, then again, if the bassist uses an Ampeg SVT (or many other bass
rigs), they rarely put out accurate sound below 40Hz. So, 50Hz might
reproduce what the musician hears onstage. Few bass guitar rigs can
faithfully reproduce anything below 40Hz. Some SWR & Bag End systems can.

Just my opinion. I like a system that goes down LOW. I have a dbx120. I
like a system that goes down to 20Hz, but rarely see one.

Your advice is reasonably good for this thread.

-Denny
From: Tim Perry on

>Thanks for the advice, I'll give it a try... I did mention running aux
subs and fyi, I'm running these cabs via an O1v96, so I have lots of
eq available. My thing right now is I seem to have to dial in some
pretty extreme eq on the kick to get the sound I want, which works,
but it makes me a bit uneasy as far as the +/- 6db "rule of thumb" of
judicious eq'ing goes. I'm using a D6 just inside the hole, but I
can't seem to achieve that "I barely have to use any eq with a D6"
rant I always hear.

My present rig, while modest compared to Georges seems to work best with the
HPF at 50 Hz.
My much maligned subs proved adequate to cover an entire campground this
weekend.
I use a D-6 on kick and barely have to use any EQ <g> Just a little boost
at 80 Hz with the sweepable mid. Oh, and a modified kick preset on the dbx
DDP.