From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 29 Jun 2010 19:34, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
Pete Puma painted this mural:

> My root partition keeps getting larger every day and while I'm not
> installing new software to account for this growth, I wonder what's causing
> it to balloon like this.
>
> The default sizing for the openSuse installation was a 20-gig partition. I
> expanded it to 32 gigs to keep the system from freezing and provide some
> room for temp files, etc. Running fine now, but today, I noticed it's over
> 21 gigs.
>
> Sound like a virus?

Not to me it doesn't. As root, open a console and use:

du / --max-depth=1 --one-file-system --exclude=/proc \
--exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys | sort -nr

This will tell you which directories are using the most space, sorted
so the one taking up the most space is at the top. This should help
point you towards the directories you'll probably need to clear out. My
guess would be that /tmp isn't separate from / and that is where the
space is being used up. If it is, and you're using KDE, one probable
space hog will be /tmp/kde-$username as this stores a lot of temporary
files that don't seem to be deleted, unless you manually delete them.

Another place to check is /var/log as the logrotate script compresses
logfiles when they exceed a certain size, but leaves the compressed
files in /var/log[0].

One last place to check is /var/tmp, which is a little like /tmp, in
that it stores temporary files.

[0] /var/log and /tmp are two file systems I always make sure aren't
left under / as runaway processes can either start dumping loads of
entries into their log files, which would quickly fill up / and make
things a little difficult to deal with, or it could dump loads of stuff
to /tmp which would have a similar effect. Having them as separate file
systems reduces the risks of this happening, at least a little bit.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:50:53 +0100
Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:

> find /var -mtime -1 -exec ls -ld {} \;

Shouldn't the braces be single-quoted?

> This will show you all the files/directories modified in /var within the
> last 24 hours. You can repeat this for the other directories in / except
> for /home - but /var/log is probably the problem.

The only issue with that find is that it will spit out an
*overwhelming* amount of file data - if a person doesn't
know what to, and what not to, delete [from the listing],
then the information is unusable.

--
The goal of Computer Science is to build something that will last at
least until we've finished building it.

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:30:50 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> du / --max-depth=1 --one-file-system --exclude=/proc \
> --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys | sort -nr

Might want to run that as "sudo" :)

--
In a museum in Havana, there are two skulls of Christopher Columbus,
"one when he was a boy and one when he was a man."

From: David Bolt on
On Tuesday 29 Jun 2010 20:43, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
mjt painted this mural:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:30:50 +0100
> David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:
>
>> du / --max-depth=1 --one-file-system --exclude=/proc \
>> --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys | sort -nr
>
> Might want to run that as "sudo" :)

Well, you could do, but why would you? Personally, I would open up a
console[0], use "su -" to become root and then use the command. I can
then do whatever I need to do without having to keep adding "sudo" to
the command and, thanks to a rather bright spark who managed to get
Novell to see things his way, the prompt is a nice red colour so I know
I'm not my normal user.

[0] Well, almost. I usually have at least one root console open, tucked
away one one of my desktops, just for the odd occasion where I suddenly
have a need for a root console[1]. However, it's not something I'd
recommend others do.

[1] For instance, running the build script to locally build packages
before uploading (some of) them to the build service. It creates a
clean chroot environment to build within, and it can't do this as a
normal user.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 20:58:54 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> >> du / --max-depth=1 --one-file-system --exclude=/proc \
> >> --exclude=/dev --exclude=/sys | sort -nr
> >
> > Might want to run that as "sudo" :)
>
> Well, you could do, but why would you? Personally, I would open up a
> console[0], use "su -" to become root and then use the command.

Either way (sudo or su) ... my point is that the results
of the "du" will be different if you running it as your
regular user or if running as the root user.

I'd like to add one other option for "du" ... the "-h" option,
which prints out the sizes in a human-readable format :)

--
The USA is so enormous, and so numerous are its schools, colleges and
religious seminaries, many devoted to special religious beliefs ranging