From: J G Miller on
Op woensdag, 30 juni 2010, 07:51:28h +0200, Houghi wrote:

> So can you tell me if you trust the following One-CLick-Install url:
> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home:bitshuffler/openSUSE_11.2/ccze.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.2&query=ccze

Well it does say

<description>My personal playground. No warranty for anything.</description>

I would tend to stay with the official version of ccze since it would tend
to be used in situations where the user has elevated privileges.

My preference is that if the program is not available from the official
repository or well known respository (eg packman), then build it from source
downloaded from the official home page (usually via Sourceforge).
From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 30 Jun 2010 11:33, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> J G Miller wrote:
>> Op woensdag, 30 juni 2010, 07:51:28h +0200, Houghi wrote:
>>
>>> So can you tell me if you trust the following One-CLick-Install url:
>>> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home:bitshuffler/openSUSE_11.2/ccze.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.2&query=ccze

I would, because I know that if I can't trust packages from
bitshufflers home project, I can't trust packages from some of the KDE
or Gnome repos. However, I only know that because I also maintain a
package in one of the KDE repos and so get to see all the
obs-submit-requests approved, denied or revoked, who it was that
created the requests, and who responded to them.

>> Well it does say
>>
>> <description>My personal playground. No warranty for anything.</description>
>
> OK, how about
> http://software.opensuse.org/ymp/home:davjam79:console/openSUSE_11.2/ccze.ymp?base=openSUSE%3A11.2&query=ccze
>
> It does not say anything there. All I can see is that is is pulled from
> software.opensuse.org and downloaded from download.opensuse.org

Does this mean there should be some form of disclaimer added, maybe
saying it's not an official repo? Personally, I don't think so. It's
pretty clear that projects under home: are able to be created by anyone
and everyone, and can host (virtually) any package the user wishes to
build.

> So it must be good, right? That is at least what the majority of the
> people would think.
>
>> I would tend to stay with the official version of ccze

Good luck on that. The sources haven't been updated in something like
seven years, and the packages home page has gone. The freshmeat page
points to Debian, who now appear not to have it in their package list.
End results are there are no official versions to find. And as for
finding the sources to build your own, the only place I could find
them was under the FreeBSD ports. Can't recall where I found the
sources, so that could be where I found them.

>> since it would tend
>> to be used in situations where the user has elevated privileges.
>
> The risk is luckily not with you or with me or anybody else here.
>
>> My preference is that if the program is not available from the official
>> repository or well known respository (eg packman), then build it from source
>> downloaded from the official home page (usually via Sourceforge).
>
> I first look on the standard locations from openSUSE (webpin, thank you)

Now there's something interesting. Not knowing where webpin was hosted,
I had to do a Google search. End results of that were:

<http://www.google.co.uk/interstitial?url=http://packages.opensuse-community.org/>

Not sure why Google thinks it's downloading and installing malicious
software as all I can see is normal HTML when using curl to fetch the
page while faking the user-agent as IE 8.0.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: J G Miller on
On Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 at 16:52:01h +0100, David Bolt declared:

> The sources haven't been updated in something like seven years,
> and the packages home page has gone. The freshmeat page points
> to Debian, who now appear not to have it in their package list.

I do not understand why you think that.

ccze is still present stable, testing, and in sid.

<http://packages.debian.ORG/sid/ccze>
From: Eef Hartman on
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to add one other option for "du" ... the "-h" option,
> which prints out the sizes in a human-readable format :)

But then the "| sort -n" will not work anymore (20M will sort as
larger then 10G)....
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: mjt on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 16:52:01 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> > I first look on the standard locations from openSUSE (webpin, thank you)
>
> Now there's something interesting. Not knowing where webpin was hosted,
> I had to do a Google search. End results of that were:

Yast -> Software -> Package Search (webpin)

--
There's a fine line between courage and foolishness. Too bad it's not
a fence.