From: Pete Puma on
My root partition keeps getting larger every day and while I'm not
installing new software to account for this growth, I wonder what's causing
it to balloon like this.

The default sizing for the openSuse installation was a 20-gig partition. I
expanded it to 32 gigs to keep the system from freezing and provide some
room for temp files, etc. Running fine now, but today, I noticed it's over
21 gigs.

Sound like a virus?
From: Vahis on
On 2010-06-29, Pete Puma <pete(a)puma.org> wrote:
> My root partition keeps getting larger every day and while I'm not
> installing new software to account for this growth, I wonder what's causing
> it to balloon like this.
>
> The default sizing for the openSuse installation was a 20-gig partition. I
> expanded it to 32 gigs to keep the system from freezing and provide some
> room for temp files, etc. Running fine now, but today, I noticed it's over
> 21 gigs.
>
> Sound like a virus?

I don't think so.
Sounds like something is written to the logs a lot...

Check your logs to find out what the reason is and fix it.

This probably will give some indication:

#tail -f /var/log/messages

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.2 (x86_64) 2.6.31.12-0.2-default
From: Ulick Magee on
Pete Puma wrote:
> My root partition keeps getting larger every day and while I'm not
> installing new software to account for this growth, I wonder what's causing
> it to balloon like this.
>
> The default sizing for the openSuse installation was a 20-gig partition.

That's more than generous, provided /home is on a separate partition
(which it is by default), most people would not use up 10GB for
everything else.

> expanded it to 32 gigs to keep the system from freezing and provide some
> room for temp files, etc. Running fine now, but today, I noticed it's over
> 21 gigs.
>
> Sound like a virus?

Sounds like some logfile growing out of control.

On a console, su to root and try this:

find /var -mtime -1 -exec ls -ld {} \;

This will show you all the files/directories modified in /var within the
last 24 hours. You can repeat this for the other directories in / except
for /home - but /var/log is probably the problem.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:34:29 -0400
Pete Puma <pete(a)puma.org> wrote:

> My root partition keeps getting larger every day and while I'm not
> installing new software to account for this growth, I wonder what's causing
> it to balloon like this.
>
> The default sizing for the openSuse installation was a 20-gig partition. I
> expanded it to 32 gigs to keep the system from freezing and provide some
> room for temp files, etc. Running fine now, but today, I noticed it's over
> 21 gigs.

> Sound like a virus?

It's a possibility. You might consider getting the
SystemRescueCd CD - it has ClamAV on it ... boot
from the CD and run a scan.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware#Anti-virus_applications

Do you periodically clean up /temp and /var/tmp?
Do you have loglevel set to a high level of reporting?
Do you have Yast software management set to archive
updated software packages? That can significantly
increase disk usage.

You should consider checking the entries in the
System->Chron branch in /etc/sysconfig, such as
MAX_DAYS_IN_TMP, CLEAR_TMP_DIRS_AT_BOOTUP, and so on.

--
So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in
praise of intelligence.

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 14:02:35 -0500
mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you periodically clean up /temp and /var/tmp?

Of course, we all know I meant, "/tmp" :)

--
She's genuinely bogus.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>