From: Ulick Magee on
mjt wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 19:50:53 +0100
> Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:
>
>> find /var -mtime -1 -exec ls -ld {} \;
>
> Shouldn't the braces be single-quoted?

Maybe.
It's always worked for me without them (and on Unix boxes as well as Linux)

> The only issue with that find is that it will spit out an
> *overwhelming* amount of file data - if a person doesn't
> know what to, and what not to, delete [from the listing],
> then the information is unusable.

Last time I used it in /var it didn't spit out all that much. I didn't
have ntp running then on this laptop.
I didn't realise until now that ntp creates an incredible amount of
stuff in /var/log/ntp/proc ...

And it really wasn't helpful of you to suggest to the OP that he may
have a virus. Can you show me ONE virus spreading in the wild for Linux?

Of course any machine can trick the user into installing a trojan, but
that's not the same thing.

--

Ulick Magee

Free software and free formats for free information for free people.
Open Office for Windows/OSX/Linux: http://www.openoffice.org
openSUSE Linux: http://en.opensuse.org
From: Ulick Magee on
mjt wrote:

> I'd like to add one other option for "du" ... the "-h" option,
> which prints out the sizes in a human-readable format :)

Yeah, but then the

| sort -nr

bit doesn't work properly.

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:05:42 +0100
Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:

> And it really wasn't helpful of you to suggest to the OP that he may
> have a virus. Can you show me ONE virus spreading in the wild for Linux?

I've been contracted on 5 separate occasions, in the
past 2-3 years, to check on the status of machines
(corporate I might add) for unexplained disk usage.

I'm sure you're familiar with rootkits? If you think
Linux-distro users are immune from rootkits and other
strains of malware, you're rwong [sic].

In the 5 cases (5 different clients) mentioned,
rootkits were discovered - their machines were
being used as interim storage

--
Kin, n.:
An affliction of the blood

From: Ulick Magee on
mjt wrote:

> I'm sure you're familiar with rootkits? If you think
> Linux-distro users are immune from rootkits and other
> strains of malware, you're rwong [sic].

Sure but there's a world of difference between linux and its largest
competitor, the home user putting their linux box on the net for the
first time is going to have (almost) everything closed by default
instead of open by default.

If you're going to run a server and open ports you had better know what
you're doing.

From: mjt on
On Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:53:06 +0100
Ulick Magee <ulickatmaildotcom(a)feckoff.invalid> wrote:

> mjt wrote:
> >
> > I'm sure you're familiar with rootkits? If you think
> > Linux-distro users are immune from rootkits and other
> > strains of malware, you're rwong [sic].
>
> Sure but there's a world of difference between linux and its largest
> competitor, the home user putting their linux box on the net for the
> first time is going to have (almost) everything closed by default
> instead of open by default.
>
> If you're going to run a server and open ports you had better know what
> you're doing.

Agreed.

I'm sure you're familiar with how many users run as root as
their "regular user" cause they tire of having to go through
the "supply root user password" every time they need to do
something as root.

Just recently (in a usenet group), someone posted the results
of a CLI command they executed ... I looked at it and noticed
they were running as the root user ... the command they executed
did not require root privileges ... anyway, I inquired about
their usage of the root account and how they shouldn't be doing
that ... never got a reply, though. This seems to be a frequent
occurrence where someone is moving from the M$ world.

--
Under a government which imprisons any unjustly, the true place for a
just man is also in prison.