From: mjt on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 19:02:10 +0200
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:

> mjt <myswtestYOURSHOES(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd like to add one other option for "du" ... the "-h" option,
> > which prints out the sizes in a human-readable format :)
>
> But then the "| sort -n" will not work anymore (20M will sort as
> larger then 10G)....

Yea ...David and Ulick already harassed me about that :)

--
Fifth Law of Procrastination:
Procrastination avoids boredom; one never has the feeling that

From: mjt on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:28:18 +0100
David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> >> Now there's something interesting. Not knowing where webpin was hosted,
> >> I had to do a Google search. End results of that were:
> >
> > Yast -> Software -> Package Search (webpin)
>
> Not here it isn't.

At a CLI, you could:

mtobler(a)ren:~> sudo zypper install yast2-packager-webpin

.... or via the GUI:

Yast -> Software Management ... Search: webpin

You should see:
yast2-packager-webpin - YaST2 - Webpin package search client

This package contains a client for searching packages in online repositories
(webpin) and installing them via OneClickInstall

Select to install it :)

--
Come I to make this gig at Caesar's laying down.
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: mjt on
On Wed, 30 Jun 2010 18:08:24 +0000 (UTC)
J G Miller <miller(a)yoyo.ORG> wrote:

> On Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 at 18:19:48h +0100, David Bolt explained:
>
> > both end up at:
> >
> > <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/ccze.html>
>
> The mistake on FreshMeat is that that URL should be
>
> <http://packages.debian.org/unstable/utils/ccze>
>
> sans/zonder/ohne ".html"

Regardless, it's still stale according to the changelog: Sep 2007
That's a 0.2.1-2 release. At rpmfind.net, I see a 0.2.1-5 version.
http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=ccze

--
The mosquito is the state bird of New Jersey.
-- Andy Warhol

From: David Bolt on
On Wednesday 30 Jun 2010 19:37, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
mjt painted this mural:

>> > Yast -> Software -> Package Search (webpin)
>>
>> Not here it isn't.
>
> At a CLI, you could:
>
> mtobler(a)ren:~> sudo zypper install yast2-packager-webpin

That would be my preferred way, although I would use:

sudo zypper -v in -y yast2-packager-webpin

because I'm nosey, like to see what's going on, and I don't get a
"are you sure?" type question before it actually does the installation.

> ... or via the GUI:
>
> Yast -> Software Management ... Search: webpin

Or just click on:

Software Management -> Configuration -> Search Packages On Web

which would then offer to install the module for me.

> You should see:
> yast2-packager-webpin - YaST2 - Webpin package search client
>
> This package contains a client for searching packages in online repositories
> (webpin) and installing them via OneClickInstall
>
> Select to install it :)

I could, but I don't really see the point. For starters, I already have
bookmarks for Packman and the openSUSE search page and, if a package
isn't found using either of those, I'd just do a search of Freshmeat
and/or Sourceforge for the sources. If what I'm looking for turns up
there, I try and package it up. If I can, and local test builds are
successful, I add it to either my home project or one of my
sub-projects. That way the next person that searches for it will be
able to find it on the build service and not have to go through the
same download -> build -> package -> install process.

This is a part of the reason ccze ended up on my home project[0]. The
same applies to virtually[1] all the other packages under my various
projects. If I'm going to build a package, I might as well share it
with the rest of the world.

[0] The other part is because, IIRC, someone was having problems
building it, the build service didn't (doesn't?) allow collaboration
and so it was quicker to build it in my own project and fix the builds
there.

[1] There are a few that are there because other packages I've built
rely on them, and they weren't available elsewhere on the build
service, and there are others that are there specifically because
I've been asked if I could build them.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
openSUSE 11.0 32b | | | openSUSE 11.3RC1 32b

From: David Bolt on
On Thursday 01 Jul 2010 10:29, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>>> It does not say anything there. All I can see is that is is pulled from
>>> software.opensuse.org and downloaded from download.opensuse.org
>>
>> Does this mean there should be some form of disclaimer added, maybe
>> saying it's not an official repo? Personally, I don't think so. It's
>> pretty clear that projects under home: are able to be created by anyone
>> and everyone, and can host (virtually) any package the user wishes to
>> build.
>
> It is pretty clear for those who understand what everything in the URL
> means. There where talks about security (and for Novell also very
> importand) responsability for hosted packages.

You any idea where/when this took place? I would be interested in
reviewing the conversation, if it is possible to do so.

> The decision was made that availability was at that point very important
> and that if some rogue stuff would be hosted it would be known and the
> person and package would be dropped pretty fast.

I would hope that they would at least check to see if only the one
package contained malware, or was compromised in some way, or if more
than one of the users packages contained malware or were compromised.
Otherwise, it could be that someone takes a compromised source archive
and ends up losing their account because of it.

> I am still in doubt if that was the right choice.

I would hope that, initially at least, the package is removed and the
source archives authenticity is verified to find out if it's an issue
with the upstream or just the packager. If it's upstream, notify them
so the issue is fixed. If it's the packager, then I would be inclined
to say delete their account and all their packages.

> Security or
> availability?

That's a hard one to answer. For Novell, security must be the top
priority as anything else and it could tarnish their reputation.

Regards,
David Bolt