From: Anonymous on
In article <b7r6261l0be9cs8krh2qpra305ddn6arp0(a)4ax.com>,
SkippyPB <swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:
>On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 18:22:48 +0000 (UTC), docdwarf(a)panix.com () wrote:
>
>>In article <mpi4265ie87cupsc2j5p15gi7v5448fucm(a)4ax.com>,
>>SkippyPB <swiegand(a)Nospam.neo.rr.com> wrote:

[snip]

>>>Isn't all racism "irrational"?
>>
>>Whether it is or it isn't, attempting rational discourse with a certified
>>paranoid schizophrenic might not be considered the most fruitful of
>>passtimes.
>
>Well I suppose it depends on which personality you are having a
>discourse with.

I believe, Mr Wiegand, that you are making the common-yet-inaccurate
equivalence between 'multiple personality syndrome' and 'schizophrenia'
(lit. 'fractured personality').

DD

From: Alistair on
On Jun 23, 10:07 pm, Michael Wojcik <mwoj...(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
>
> > There are limits to free speech.
>
> And whom can we trust to set them, and assign penalties for trespass?

Whom? None other than myself. :-)
From: Alistair on
On Jun 23, 6:44 pm, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> Mr Maclean, if he is a certified paranoid schizophrenic then his views
> might be seen less as subject to 'hyporcisy' and more as subject to
> 'irrationality'.  You might want to websearch the punchline 'dead men do
> bleed' for an example.
>
> DD

My friend (let me point out that this one is not my boozy chum) would
root his hatred in the fact that his grandmother was hospitalised
after being mugged by a black man.

As for the dead men do bleed, that does depend upon the definition of
dead and/or bleed.
From: Bill Klein on
My guess is that this answer was intended to say "do your own homework" -
but in a more "obscure" way.

If, however, one were really trying to provide a "user-friendly" solution
for the MVS (z/OS) environment, I would point them to using ISPF sefrvices.
In particular, see
LMQUERY

at:

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ISPZSG80/2.47

* * * *

With all the replies, I haven't seen the OP come back, but the real answer
is, as others have said, that this depends on compiler, operating system,
and "API's" that are available. It also, obviously, depends on the type of
file being queried, i.e. is it an "O/S" file" (e.g. line sequential on
Windows ofr Linux) or is it a "COBOl-specific" file thype (such as Indexed
files on Windows - not using a product like C-ISAM)(.

P.S. Personally, I do NOT think this is a "homework" type question as it is
NOT something covered in most classes and does requrie some "research" into
facilities availab le in various plattforms, but then again without the OP
coming back, who knows?

From: Howard Brazee on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 11:04:46 -0500, "Bill Klein"
<wmklein(a)noreply.ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>P.S. Personally, I do NOT think this is a "homework" type question as it is
>NOT something covered in most classes and does requrie some "research" into
>facilities availab le in various plattforms, but then again without the OP
>coming back, who knows?

>> :>Does any body know how a routine in cobol that will display the
>> :>information of the input/ outpout file, for example if my input file
>> :>is A then it will display information like creation date, number of
>> :>records etc.

Possibly not. But we really don't know enough to say.

One would think that a professional would give us more information
about his environment before being asked.

- James Madison