From: Pete Dashwood on
SkippyPB wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 17:04:23 -0400, Michael Wojcik
> <mwojcik(a)newsguy.com> wrote:
>
>> SkippyPB wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't all racism "irrational"?
>>
>> No; that's partly what makes it so dangerous. Much of so-called
>> "scientific racism", for example, is quite rational: it consists of a
>> set of premises, and conclusions formulated by the application of
>> logic to those premises.
>>
>> The premises are ill-founded, and the conclusions abhorrent, but that
>> doesn't make it irrational, however dangerous and wrong.
>>
>> "Rational" is not a synonym for "good" or even for "well thought
>> out".
>
> BS. There is nothing rational about judging a person because they
> happen to have a different pigment in their skin than you do.

Is it rational to judge a person who happens to have the SAME pigment in
their skin as you do?

Perhaps the argument here is with Judgement, rather than Racism.

> At the
> core, all human beings have the same building blocks - they are all
> flesh and blood and sentient.

Yes, Steve, we are, but Racists and bigots lose sight of the similarities
and see only differences.

> Racism is a learned behavior and is
> illogical and irrational.

I agree it is a learned behaviour; kids seem to play quite happily together
no matter what their backgrounds, up to a certain age where social mores
become recognised and important. However, I have to agree with Michael here
that Racism is not necessarily irrational, or even illogical.

However, I think those of us who are not schizophenic or otherwise mentally
challenged would agree it does not make the world a better place for either
the perpetrators or the victims of it, or for anyone else. We could all
agree it is undesirable. Excluding sections of the human race based purely
on non-behavioural grounds, and real or imagined shortcomings which stem
from the frailty of the observer, simply holds back the advance of Mankind.

We are all diminished by Racism.

Nobody wins.

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Pete Dashwood wrote:
>>
>> Imagine for a moment what it must be like to be him/her... All that
>> hatred just burning you up. I have to believe this is not a happy
>> person.
>
> It could just as easily be a troll looking to get a rise out of
> someone. Best to ignore posts like this.

Yes, I believe I said as much...

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Alistair wrote:
> On Jun 23, 3:45 am, "Pete Dashwood"
> <dashw...(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:
>> Nevertheless, I'd rather see even hateful mail like his
>> occasionally, than have posts here censored.
>>
>> I think your point about contacting the domain is a good one,
>> Alistair. But he can argue it is an unmoderated forum and he can say
>> whatever he likes.
>
> I have contacted the people at NETREGISTRY. . . something and am in
> communication with them. According to google, lots of offensive
> emails/ postings are coming from Reece.net.au.
>
> There are limits to free speech.

Not for me.

There we have to differ. I see it as sacrosanct. As long as speech is free
and it is safe for people to speak their minds, we can know what is in those
minds and we can deal with it. It is only words. Grown ups can deal with
words. It is when we seek to stop the words that the world goes to Hell in a
handcart.

Let's say you are successful and close him down. (It obviously won't change
his mind about anything.)

How long will it be before someone decides to close YOU down...?

Who will be next? Who decides what can and can't be said?

If someone tells lies about you, you can refute it. If someone abuses you,
you can deal with it. But not if you are gagged.

Words can be hurtful, but only if you let them be. I see the tirade from
this person and the bitterness and hatred and I see a person consumed by
demons of their own making. Serves them right.

It isn't my place to judge or proscribe anybody.

Don't like what he says? Kill his mail.

No one has to give or receive communication unless they want to.

Pete.

From: Pete Dashwood on
Michael Wojcik wrote:
> Alistair wrote:
>>
>> There are limits to free speech.
>
> And whom can we trust to set them, and assign penalties for trespass?

Exactly :-)

From: Howard Brazee on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 04:16:05 +1200, "Pete Dashwood"
<dashwood(a)removethis.enternet.co.nz> wrote:

>Yes, Steve, we are, but Racists and bigots lose sight of the similarities
>and see only differences.

I'm not sure this is true. We see people picking buddies because of
their similarities. And stereotyping others because of apparent
similarities with each other.

- James Madison