From: Douglas Ofner Douglas on
Hi Folks:

I am adding a new SBS to an existing Win2k3 domain with 2 AD servers sharing
all network roles, really like having 2 PDC's. During the addiyion of the
new SBS server to the domain i am realizing that the SBS server must be the
ONLY:

Global Catalog
FSMO
PDC Emulator
Operations Master in numerous places....
Licensing..
And on and on.

After this is all completed, will my entire domain be relying on a single
PDC, and if the SBS server goes down are we down?

Ultimately all I want is to use exchange with 7 users. Should i just put
the SBS server on its own domain and setup a trust so i can use it for more
than just exchange? I don't mind if we have to configure e-mail user names
and passwords separately, only 7 users...

Any help/advice would be great as i have pause this install.

Thanks,

Doug

PS - Yes, i realize we should be dealing with 2008 but 03 seems to work fine
for our small environment. We still have NT4 SP4 running - LOL
From: Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] on
You also can't establish trusts with SBS

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

From: Douglas Ofner on
Yes, i realize that after reading some other forums.

From: Susan Bradley on

7 users and you want two PDCs?

Take this in the respectful small business manner in which it is given.
Leave the enterprise brain at the big business. You are in small
business now. Get over these PDCs ideas as they don't scale down here.

The DC doesn't go down when you buy good hardware ...and when it does we
have cached credentials.

I can have addition domain controllers if I want to but I'd rather spend
my money on an addition image based backup.

You are better served killing off that NT4 than worrying about two PDCs.

From: Larry Struckmeyer[SBS-MVP] on
Just to reinforce, I have been supporting SBS since v 4.0 and have *never*
lost a server. Not even for a few hours. I have shut some down to replace
full or failing drives, but trust me, on quality hardware, it just works.

having said that, you can have additional DC's in an SBS domain, and there
can be a few valid reasons for doing so, such as branch offices. But if
you have a power failure or some such that blows up your SBS, your efforts
will be better spent in bringing it back that going through the excercizes
of making everything wonderful without it.

-Larry

-Please post the resolution to your issue so others may benefit.

-Get Your SBS Health Check at www.sbsbpa.com

> 7 users and you want two PDCs?
>
> Take this in the respectful small business manner in which it is
> given. Leave the enterprise brain at the big business. You are in
> small business now. Get over these PDCs ideas as they don't scale
> down here.
>
> The DC doesn't go down when you buy good hardware ...and when it does
> we have cached credentials.
>
> I can have addition domain controllers if I want to but I'd rather
> spend my money on an addition image based backup.
>
> You are better served killing off that NT4 than worrying about two
> PDCs.
>
> Douglas Ofner wrote:
>
>> Yes, i realize that after reading some other forums.
>>
>> "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> You also can't establish trusts with SBS
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
>>>
>>> Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Small-Business-Server-Unleashed/dp/067
>>> 2329573/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217269967&sr=8-1
>>>
>>> Owner, CPU Services, Belleville, IL
>>>
>>> A Microsoft Registered Partner
>>>
>>> ------------------------------------
>>>
>>> MVPs do not work for Microsoft
>>>
>>> Please do not submit questions directly to me.
>>>
>>> "Douglas Ofner" <Douglas Ofner(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>>> message news:4401D0B9-BC64-479E-98DD-DD1FFDD6F3BB(a)microsoft.com...
>>>
>>> Hi Folks:
>>>
>>> I am adding a new SBS to an existing Win2k3 domain with 2 AD servers
>>> sharing all network roles, really like having 2 PDC's. During the
>>> addiyion of the new SBS server to the domain i am realizing that the
>>> SBS server must be the ONLY:
>>>
>>> Global Catalog
>>> FSMO
>>> PDC Emulator
>>> Operations Master in numerous places....
>>> Licensing..
>>> And on and on.
>>> After this is all completed, will my entire domain be relying on a
>>> single PDC, and if the SBS server goes down are we down?
>>>
>>> Ultimately all I want is to use exchange with 7 users. Should i
>>> just put the SBS server on its own domain and setup a trust so i can
>>> use it for more than just exchange? I don't mind if we have to
>>> configure e-mail user names and passwords separately, only 7
>>> users...
>>>
>>> Any help/advice would be great as i have pause this install.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Doug
>>>
>>> PS - Yes, i realize we should be dealing with 2008 but 03 seems to
>>> work fine for our small environment. We still have NT4 SP4 running
>>> - LOL
>>>

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: How to????