From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews wrote on 6/17/2010 :
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:16:30 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> Tony Toews pretended :
>>> So how do I debug this problem?
>>
>> Executing Debuggables -- Visual Studio Magazine
>> http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2008/11/17/executing-debuggables.aspx
>>
>> Best you can do is start by trying to guess where it's blowing up, and
>> sticking markers in to narrow it down. :-(
>
> It blows up before the first line of code is executed. I put a msgbox
> as the first line of code in the form load event. I saw it in the
> IDE but not in the exe.

I'm not sure whether code in a sited usercontrol executes before or
after Form_Load, but I'd suspect before.

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:56:49 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>I'm not sure whether code in a sited usercontrol executes before or
>after Form_Load, but I'd suspect before.

Ah, so I should start my debugging in his code. Gotcha. That hadn't
occurred to me.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews laid this down on his screen :
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:56:49 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure whether code in a sited usercontrol executes before or
>> after Form_Load, but I'd suspect before.
>
> Ah, so I should start my debugging in his code. Gotcha. That hadn't
> occurred to me.

Well, it's _your_ code now, in a manner of speaking. And your app
didn't blow before adding it, right? ;-)

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:32:13 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>>> I'm not sure whether code in a sited usercontrol executes before or
>>> after Form_Load, but I'd suspect before.
>>
>> Ah, so I should start my debugging in his code. Gotcha. That hadn't
>> occurred to me.
>
>Well, it's _your_ code now, in a manner of speaking. And your app
>didn't blow before adding it, right? ;-)

Yeah, yeah, just a brain fart on my part.

Trouble is it's 3,000+ lines of code and I'm havnig trouble narrowing
down the failing line of code. I thought I had it but ....

Tony
From: Jim Mack on

http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=71482&lngWId=1

> I commissioned a set of bmp files fram a graphics person and was
> happily inserting them into my program. All works quite nicely in
> the VB6 IDE.
>
> Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the
> VS2006 debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just
> the sample code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the
> clean sample code works well in the IDE.
>
> So how do I debug this problem? I'll email the author but
> thought I'd ask here as well.

You have some answers on how to start debugging, but out of curiosity,
what is the bit depth of the BMPs you're using? If you don't discover
anything else, might you to post a hex dump of the first 64 bytes of
one of them?

I'm not suggesting they're faulty, but I've had some interesting
difficulties with BMPs that VB didn't like.

--
Jim