From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 20:00:51 -0400, "Jim Mack" <no-uce-ube(a)mdxi.com>
wrote:

>You have some answers on how to start debugging, but out of curiosity,
>what is the bit depth of the BMPs you're using? If you don't discover
>anything else, might you to post a hex dump of the first 64 bytes of
>one of them?
>
>I'm not suggesting they're faulty, but I've had some interesting
>difficulties with BMPs that VB didn't like.

Ahh, now that;s interesting.

However I'm not at the point of using any BMPs. I downloaded a new
zip file and created a form with just the single user control on it.
With nothing updated or changed including adding a BMP. So that's not
the problem at this point.

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:41:29 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>So I found this neat sample code which works great in the IDE.
>http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=71482&lngWId=1

I got the following via email.

This sounds interesting. If you don't mind people seeing the source
I'll be happy to debug it here and see what I can find. I'll agree to
any nda or non-use or whatever terms you want in an email if that's
any concern.

And I responded:

Actually I downloaded a fresh copy of the JCButton code and made a
single form which has one JCButton user control on it. There's no
code of mine in it.

BTW to help debug things I'm using the following subroutine as msgbox
causes wierd problems at times.

Sub LogToTextFile(Comment As String)

Open "Q:\1_vb\Code samples\a jcButton\jcbutton\log.txt" For Append
As #1 ' Open file for output.
Write #1, Comment
Close #1

End Sub

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:41:29 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
>debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
>code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the clean sample code
>works well in the IDE.

Just for grins I'm testing the exe in other Virtual PC OSs. In
Windows 2000 it caused Windows Explorer and Dr Watson post mortem to
crash and the OS to become unresponsive.

Hmmm, same in Windows XP including crashing Dr Watson.. Yikes.

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:27:37 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>>Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
>>debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
>>code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the clean sample code
>>works well in the IDE.
>
>Just for grins I'm testing the exe in other Virtual PC OSs. In
>Windows 2000 it caused Windows Explorer and Dr Watson post mortem to
>crash and the OS to become unresponsive.
>
>Hmmm, same in Windows XP including crashing Dr Watson.. Yikes.

Ok, this time a new compile and it's working just fine in Virtual PC
Windows XP. Fully patched. So there's something "special" about my
system which I kinda suspected as I couldn't imagine the other 22K
downloads having this problem.

<sigh>

Tony
From: Shotgun Thom on
On Jun 17, 9:40 pm, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 22:27:37 -0600, Tony Toews
>
> <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> >>Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
> >>debugger.  So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
> >>code.  And it crashes immediately as well.   And the clean sample code
> >>works well in the IDE.
>
> >Just for grins I'm testing the exe in other Virtual PC OSs.  In
> >Windows 2000 it caused Windows Explorer and Dr Watson post mortem to
> >crash and the OS to become unresponsive.
>
> >Hmmm, same in Windows XP including crashing Dr Watson..   Yikes.
>
> Ok, this time a new compile and it's working just fine in Virtual PC
> Windows XP.  Fully patched.  So there's something "special" about my
> system which I kinda suspected as I couldn't imagine the other 22K
> downloads having this problem.
>
> <sigh>
>
> Tony

Hi Tony:

I've used this control for over a year with a few programs and never
ran into a problem.

As an interesting test here is a link to a Free program named iQ
WordPad (a ms wordpad replacement) that uses the JC Button. I've had
hundreds of downloads and there has never been a report of this
problem. I personally have used this on Win XP (SP3), Vista and Win 7
and it works fine. You can download the program at:

http://www.iqprosoft.com/freedownloads.htm

See if it runs okay.

Tom