From: Tony Toews on
Folks

I've been wanting to add a button bar/tool bar/whatever you call it to
my utility to jazz up the interface. Yeah, I know it's eye candy but
hey...

So I found this neat sample code which works great in the IDE.
http://www.pscode.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=71482&lngWId=1

I commissioned a set of bmp files fram a graphics person and was
happily inserting them into my program. All works quite nicely in the
VB6 IDE.

Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the clean sample code
works well in the IDE.

So how do I debug this problem? I'll email the author but thought
I'd ask here as well.

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:41:29 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
>debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
>code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the clean sample code
>works well in the IDE.

And why yes I should've compiled it a while back when I first came
across this. But it never occurred to me that something that works in
the IDE would crash when running as an exe.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Tony
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews pretended :
> So how do I debug this problem?

Executing Debuggables -- Visual Studio Magazine
http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2008/11/17/executing-debuggables.aspx

Best you can do is start by trying to guess where it's blowing up, and
sticking markers in to narrow it down. :-(

--
..NET: It's About Trust! http://vfred.mvps.org
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:41:29 -0600, Tony Toews
<ttoews(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

>Then I compiled it and it immediately crashes an dbrings up the VS2006
>debugger. So I downloaded a fresh copy and compiled just the sample
>code. And it crashes immediately as well. And the clean sample code
>works well in the IDE.

Just for grins I added a form with a single command button which calls
the demo form with all the buttons on it and made it the startup form.
When I compiled it as an exe that form displayed but as soon as the
program executed the buttonform.show command it went to the debugger
without displaying the msgbox which is the first line in the form load
event.

Tony
From: Tony Toews on
On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:16:30 -0700, Karl E. Peterson <karl(a)exmvps.org>
wrote:

>Tony Toews pretended :
>> So how do I debug this problem?
>
>Executing Debuggables -- Visual Studio Magazine
>http://visualstudiomagazine.com/articles/2008/11/17/executing-debuggables.aspx
>
>Best you can do is start by trying to guess where it's blowing up, and
>sticking markers in to narrow it down. :-(

It blows up before the first line of code is executed. I put a msgbox
as the first line of code in the form load event. I saw it in the
IDE but not in the exe.

Tony