From: Vahis on
On 2010-08-07, David Bolt <blacklist-me(a)davjam.org> wrote:

> Turn off word wrap and do it manually[0]. I've been doing that ever
> since I started using Knode and have no problems with wrapping. It may
> take a little extra effort, but I don't want my posts to be ignored
> because they are difficult to read and so that effort is worth it.
> What would be useful is if Knode was fixed so that word wrapping
> didn't affect quoted text, but I'm going to guess that no one has
> reported a bug with it and so the developers haven't touched it.

Must be a good piece of software since you still use it although it
doesn't work :)

What can it do that's fantastic?

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
From: Vahis on
On 2010-08-07, houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:
> Vahis wrote:
>> Must be a good piece of software since you still use it although it
>> doesn't work :)
>>
>> What can it do that's fantastic?
>
> It is KDE?
<snip>

> I dislike it. Not because it
> is KDE (pan is GNOME, so equally evil) but because Pan just feels as if
> it was written from the pojnt of a Usenet user and then for GNOME, where
> KNode feels as if it was written for KDE and they also needed a
> Newsreader. In my opinion that is the wrong aproach.
>
> As always YMMV and I hope your opinion is different as my opinion is
> mine and mine alone. I have a copyright on my opinion, so you can't have
> it.

Everybody has one. (like the other thing that I won't write here)

Mine is this:
GUI for news reader is evil.

One place where slrn runs and ssh from anywhere/any device is my approach.

Vahis
--
http://waxborg.servepics.com
openSUSE 11.3 (x86_64) 2.6.34-12-default
18:04pm up 11 days 9:56, 7 users, load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.02
From: mjt on
On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 04:27:18 -0500
Pete Puma <pete(a)puma.com> wrote:

> Sorry about the mess, but Knode is whacking out on me since I
> installed 11.3 and I simply can't fix it.

Give Claws a whirl :)

--
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #18:
Q: Are you married?

From: mjt on
On Sat, 7 Aug 2010 20:19:54 +0200
houghi <houghi(a)houghi.org.invalid> wrote:

> > Give Claws a whirl :)
>
> Knode is Usenet. Claws is email. That is like using a browser to read
> Usenet. Possible, but wrong.

Based on what you wrote, you're saying that Thunderbird
can't be used as a newsreader because it's an email client?

Anyway ... you've obviously *never* checked my headers :)

http://i942.photobucket.com/albums/ad261/myswtest/claws.jpg

--
If I had any humility I would be perfect. - Ted Turner
<<< Remove YOURSHOES to email me >>>

From: David Bolt on
On Saturday 07 Aug 2010 14:45, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> David Bolt wrote:
>> Turn off word wrap and do it manually[0]. I've been doing that ever
>> since I started using Knode and have no problems with wrapping. It may
>> take a little extra effort, but I don't want my posts to be ignored
>> because they are difficult to read and so that effort is worth it.
>
> I would NOT do that.

I want people to read what I typed. Having the posts mangled means that
the readers are less likely to want to read my posts and so the extra
effort on my part makes it easier for the many other readers.

>> What would be useful is if Knode was fixed so that word wrapping
>> didn't affect quoted text, but I'm going to guess that no one has
>> reported a bug with it and so the developers haven't touched it.
>
> So you have the same issue?

Had. By turning off the word wrapping, I don't have that issue any
more. The software still has that problem, but doesn't actually show it
to me or the world when I post.

> Darn. That means that the newsreader is
> broken pretty bad. If a newsreader is unable to do that, it is not worth
> to be called a newsreader. I would as soon as possible go to another
> newsclient.

I think it might be a idea to make a bug report about it. There's now
several recent posts in Googles archive to draw upon, and if required
I can quite easily post some test messages and replies[0] to provide
even more examples.

> I have just installed KNode on a virtual test machine and I am unable to
> save the password that I need for the connection to a server. Darn.
> I DO select 'save password'
> http://houghi.org/movie/index.php?movie=sc_2YAYBCD

That looks like another bug report that needs to be filed.

> Yeah, it is small. If you want to read the text, do it yourself. That
> way it is verified if it happens on your side as well. I do have KWalled
> disabled.

I've seen it happen with Kmail as well, when KWallet is unavailable for
some reason. And, no, I haven't filed bug reports about that either. At
least, not yet.

Regards,
David Bolt

--