From: rhyde on
On Oct 8, 3:37 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nohavenot.cmm> wrote:
> <rh...(a)cs.ucr.edu> wrote in message

> > > 1) HLA which, according to recent posts, uses FASM whose syntax is
> derived
> > > from NASM.
>
> > Maybe recent posts by Rene. Surely you don't believe what he has
> > written.
> > And if you're going to talk about what happens *inside* HLA, which no
> > one ever sees, don't forget that HLA also produces MASM code and MASM
> > is still the most commonly-used back-end for HLA. This may change, but
> > that's irrelevant because your second comment -- FASM syntax is
> > derived from NASM -- is not true at all.

> > FASM syntax is derived from NASM -- is not true at all.
>
> Really? I'd say the following _proves_ otherwise.
>
> Simon Tatham says:
>
> 1) "I've got a converter somewhere that converts AT&T style assembly code
> into TASM Ideal mode input." 10/4/95
> 2) "NASM grew out of a discussion on comp.lang.asm.x86 a year or two ago."
> 10/18/96

Yes, it is quite well documented that NASM was originally intended to
clone TASM's ideal mode, and then diverged greatly. Brackets around
memory operands was about the only thing that survived (well, that and
instruction names).

> Tomasz Grysztar says:
>
> 1) "...that the syntax I've chosen for fasm, was primarily imitating the one
> I was using when programming with TASM..."
> 2) "TASM offered two modes, with different syntaxes, ... and the second one
> called Ideal mode."
> 3) "...I've followed the NASM in interpreting the square brackets as a
> variable..."

Funny, this came straight from the TASM ideal mode. I..e., points 1
and 2.

> 4) "...another feature taken from NASM, which is that any operand can be
> preceded with size operator..."
>
> I.e., "TASM ideal"+3+4 == NASM syntax.

Not at all.

> > As for point one, I'm not counting intermediate code generation by
> > compilers here.
>
> Well, that distorts reality in your favor doesn't it?

No.

> By that logic, for
> the code that is compiled by HLA, HLA's syntax is used exclusively and
> FASM's syntax isn't used at all...

That is correct. FASM (or MASM, or TASM, or GAS) is an intermediate
form *inside* HLA. None of this is exposed to the end user. So it is
irrelevant. In no way does the fact that HLA uses FASM as one of its
internal intermediate forms suggest that MASM syntax is being replaced
by NASM syntax. Particularly as FASM syntax != NASM syntax.

> What a benefit it is to you that you get
> to choose what it is and isn't counted. Isn't that called a biased opinion?

Hey, *you're* stacking things up here. Quite trying to "pull a betov"
and accuse others of exactly what you're doing.

> > Oh, and please provide me the reference to Pelles C producing NASM
> > code for the back end. I was unaware of this, and given that Pelle now
> > has his own (roughly MASM compatible) assembler, I'd expect him to
> > switch to that if he isn't generating object-code directly (which I
> > thought LCC did).
>
> I never said that. I never once said that all the ports I listed all use
> NASM. I said there _are_ a half dozen ports (which I listed for you...)
> _most_ of which use NASM as a backend (and most do...).

Wow. So you stack the statistics in your favor by including compilers
that may or may *not* use NASM as a back end.
Get real.
hLater,
Randy Hyde

From: Betov on
"rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu" <rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> �crivait

> If we were as paranoid as your brother suggests we be, we'd *never*
> use any other code

For yours, you can sleep secure.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on

> Naw, the only thing that will change will be whatever arguments you
> use to attack HLA

Sure. You know... choosing which argument is only a story
of embarrassement of choice. You are a so rich man...

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on

> FASM (or MASM, or TASM, or GAS) is an intermediate
> form *inside* HLA.

Sure, clown: You eat them all !!! Too bad you never wrote
any Assembler: It would have covered all Syntaxes on earth,
even the ancien greek one.

:)

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >
From: Gilles Chehade on
On 2007-10-08, Betov <betov(a)free.fr> wrote:
> santosh <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> �crivait news:fed8me$9ht$1(a)aioe.org:
>
>> Are there many examples of the "GPL community" taking PD works and
>> putting them under GPL/LGPL after trivial modifications?
>
> Better than this: There are many examples of the ReactOS guys
> who took non-PD works, and who released them under GPL without
> any modification but arasing the MicroSoft Legal notes and
> replacing with:
>
> Author: Alex Ionescu.
>
> Recall: The defender of Master Randall Hyde, right here, at ALA.
>
>:)
>
> Betov.
>
>< http://rosasm.org >

You do know that there also examples of code stealing and relicensing
in the GPL community right (and not so long as one month ago) ?

Before bashing other communities, make sure you don't do it on behalf
of one doing the same.

--
Booze is the answer. I don't remember the question.
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last