From: Betov on
Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> �crivait news:4709F6C8.F0138453
@unibwm.de:

> Betov wrote:
>> Herbert Kleebauer <klee(a)unibwm.de> �crivait
>
>> > if Linux want to be a replacement for a mainstream OS like
>> > Windows, there has to be a version with a bundled graphics interface
>> > (by the OS and not by the distribution).
>>
>> Yes. Do you think a GTK bet could be wise?
>
> I don't know anything, but I think Linus refuses to add the graphical
> subsystem to the core OS and X is much to slow for graphic games. I
> don't know whether GTK works with OpenGL.

Maybe i should rephrase my question...

At a backward compatibility point of view, do you think that
GTK could be considered evoluated enough for become the can't
do without part of the OS, for example and particulary, for
the commercial apps, that should in the end rely on something.
As i am used to say: We cannot program for an OS that does not
exist. So, snatching up at GTK could maybe do and help at
stopping the bulshits...

About "OpenGL", i seem to recall having read somewhere that
GTK uses it. To be verified...

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Rod Pemberton on

<rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> wrote in message
> > 1) HLA which, according to recent posts, uses FASM whose syntax is
derived
> > from NASM.
>
> Maybe recent posts by Rene. Surely you don't believe what he has
> written.
> And if you're going to talk about what happens *inside* HLA, which no
> one ever sees, don't forget that HLA also produces MASM code and MASM
> is still the most commonly-used back-end for HLA. This may change, but
> that's irrelevant because your second comment -- FASM syntax is
> derived from NASM -- is not true at all.

> FASM syntax is derived from NASM -- is not true at all.

Really? I'd say the following _proves_ otherwise.

Simon Tatham says:

1) "I've got a converter somewhere that converts AT&T style assembly code
into TASM Ideal mode input." 10/4/95
2) "NASM grew out of a discussion on comp.lang.asm.x86 a year or two ago."
10/18/96

Tomasz Grysztar says:

1) "...that the syntax I've chosen for fasm, was primarily imitating the one
I was using when programming with TASM..."
2) "TASM offered two modes, with different syntaxes, ... and the second one
called Ideal mode."
3) "...I've followed the NASM in interpreting the square brackets as a
variable..."
4) "...another feature taken from NASM, which is that any operand can be
preceded with size operator..."

I.e., "TASM ideal"+3+4 == NASM syntax.

> > 4) LCC, which now has at least a half dozen ports, most of which use
NASM
> > as a backend.
> > (LCC, LCC-Win32, LCC-Linux32, Pelles C, RadiOS LCC, "LCC-Q3VM" for
> > Quake3)
>
> As for point one, I'm not counting intermediate code generation by
> compilers here.

Well, that distorts reality in your favor doesn't it? By that logic, for
the code that is compiled by HLA, HLA's syntax is used exclusively and
FASM's syntax isn't used at all... What a benefit it is to you that you get
to choose what it is and isn't counted. Isn't that called a biased opinion?

> Oh, and please provide me the reference to Pelles C producing NASM
> code for the back end. I was unaware of this, and given that Pelle now
> has his own (roughly MASM compatible) assembler, I'd expect him to
> switch to that if he isn't generating object-code directly (which I
> thought LCC did).

I never said that. I never once said that all the ports I listed all use
NASM. I said there _are_ a half dozen ports (which I listed for you...)
_most_ of which use NASM as a backend (and most do...).

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on

> On Oct 7, 6:21 am, Betov <be...(a)free.fr> wrote:
> > santosh <santosh....(a)gmail.com> �crivaitnews:fea5b9$tks$1(a)aioe.org:
> >
> > For you, maybe. If you ignore the fact that Master Pdf always was
> > a leader of the Anti-Gpl Mouvement, you cannot understand. See,
> > for example his absurd claims saying that PD is *more* than GPL,
> > and try to understand what this means.
>
> Note, Rene, that PD *is compatible* with the GPL.

Ah, careful there. You should've stated that the FSF claims PD is
compatible with the GPL. From conversations with my IP law attorney brother
and Internet searches, I'd say the US laws don't seem to agree with the
FSF's opinion.

The US laws require the PD code not be copyrighted again (term copyrights)
since it was copyrighted once already, by law and treaty, prior to release
to PD. Also, US laws only apply a copyright to the _entire_ work. That is
important. The US Supreme court has stated that a derivative of a
copyrighted or previously copyrighted work is only copyrightable if it is
sufficiently different from the original to be considered "unique" in it's
own right. Making a trivial modification to PD code and slapping on a
GPL/LGPL on it is technically a violation of the Supreme court's decision.
The GPL community seems to be getting away with this solely because neither
the original author nor anyone in the PD is preventing the copyright claims
by suing them. But, it's possible that someone, say MS, could sue on behalf
of the PD. It's wise, IMO (since I'm not an attorney...), to treat PD code
as copyrighted and not mix it with other copyrighted code.

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on

> There are several reasons for choosing FASM output:
>
> 1. FASM is *much* faster than NASM. This, of course, impacts the speed
> of an HLA compilation.
> 2. At the time I needed a "freely distributable" assembler. FASM fit
> the bill and FASM's syntax was closer to what HLA was emitting than
> was NASM's, so it made more sense to use FASM.
> 3. FASM was under active development at the time, NASM was not.
> 4. Tomasz has provided excellent support for FASM. When I've needed
> something, he's either modified the compiler or provided a macro that
> satisfied my needs -- with NASM, I would have had to figure out the
> code myself.

Since an assembler usually outputs binary from assembly, why is HLA using
FASM to produce binary? It tends to lend credence to Betov's complaint that
HLA is just a preprocessor for a real assembler.

> When I've needed something, he's [Tomasz] ... provided a macro that
satisfied my needs.

Are you implying that you can't code assembly for assemblers other than HLA?
I find that to be strange since a portion of your projected self-worth seems
to be based on your intellectual grasp of language syntax.

Rod Pemberton

From: Betov on
"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nohavenot.cmm> �crivait

> Simon Tatham says:
>
> 1) "I've got a converter somewhere that converts AT&T style assembly
> code into TASM Ideal mode input." 10/4/95
> 2) "NASM grew out of a discussion on comp.lang.asm.x86 a year or two
> ago." 10/18/96
>
> Tomasz Grysztar says:
>
> 1) "...that the syntax I've chosen for fasm, was primarily imitating
> the one I was using when programming with TASM..."
> 2) "TASM offered two modes, with different syntaxes, ... and the
> second one called Ideal mode."
> 3) "...I've followed the NASM in interpreting the square brackets as a
> variable..."
> 4) "...another feature taken from NASM, which is that any operand can
> be preceded with size operator..."

Many thanks for restoring history's facts, in the face of this swindler,
who seems to believe that nobody knows of what is what.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44
Prev: aeBIOS Test Request
Next: CMOVcc vs. Jcc