From: Betov on
santosh <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> �crivait news:fea5b9$tks$1(a)aioe.org:

> Rod Pemberton wrote:
>
> [debate about whether NASM is/was suitable as a back-end for HLA]
>
> I think Randall has mentioned on several occasions that NASM was not
> powerful enough for his HLA _when_ he was developing the latter, IIRC
> sometime during the mid-90s, when NASM was in it's infancy.
>
> IIRC he did agree that NASM, as it stands now, *is* good enough as a
> back-end to HLA. Why then he chose to bolt-in FASM is rather confusing.

For you, maybe. If you ignore the fact that Master Pdf always was
a leader of the Anti-Gpl Mouvement, you cannot understand. See,
for example his absurd claims saying that PD is *more* than GPL,
and try to understand what this means.

By the way, dispiting his very special propaganda methods, including,
for example the beginning of the selling, many years before having
written the very first line, during the "mid-90s", nobody ever heard
of this criminal, in the area of the pioneers of the Assembly Rebirth.
When NASM was in its infancy, Master Pdf was nicely sleeping on his
DOS laurels, while the others were doing all of the hard job. True
that NASM was not usable, at that time. But HLA did not exist, at
all, either.

Nowadays, the story is different: The one and only thing that matters
to this individual is his reputation. If he needs to convert to the
GPL for selling himself, keep 100% that he will do so.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
santosh <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> �crivait news:fealgi$ibr$1(a)aioe.org:

> the ".deb" Format
>> of the Ubuntu stuffs, seems to be Code-Only.
>
> It's just a package format like ZIP. It can contain source too.

Probably, but the one coming with the Ubuntu Synaptic manager
do not seem to do that netively. Which is a rather (surprisingly)
good thing considering backward compatibilities.

> BTW, Linux _can_ run very old a.out binaries. a.out was the first
> executable format for Linux, (and lots of UNIXes), and was replaced by
> ELF with version 1.2. But if you compile your kernel with a.out support
> added, then you can still run these old executables.

Do not joke me.

> What's more Linux can run DOS files from the early 80s through DOSEmu.
> Can Windows run ELF or a.out?

I suppose yes. I never took a look but there exist Linux emulators
for Windows. And then? Somebody even wrote a "NES emulator for
Windows", with RosAsm:

< http://nessie.emubase.de/ >

Does this mean that Windows is "Nes-Able"?

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Rod Pemberton on

"santosh" <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> What's more Linux can run DOS files from the early 80s through DOSEmu.
> Can Windows run ELF or a.out?

Daniel Borca's DJELF is a version of DJGPP produces ELF. So, I'd suspect
that DOS will run ELF.

LINE (Line Is Not an Emulator) ran ELF binaries on Win98. But, that project
died and didn't have a POSIX layer. So, important commands like dd and
fdisk couldn't write to any device, like raw disks, which wasn't supported
by Win98.

It's possible that CoLinux or UMLWin32 will run ELF for Windows. But, I
don't know for sure.

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on

> I don't know about ease of configuration, (though things are _vastly_
> improved since the early days, I admit that some configuration issues
> still are obscure to sort out), but as for stability, I found no
> difference between Linux and Windows NT. They are both very hard to
> crash and are very stable.
>
> You and Betov seem to have the gift of crashing Linux everytime you put
> your finger on it?

I'll admit newer Windows like XP crash less, but it also seems to thrash,
have spontaneous uncontrollable high cpu usage, random high disk usage,
right at the same places where it'd just crash before. If you reboot
without waiting 15 minutes, it "restores" your settings from the prior boot
instead of your changes from the last boot. I figured this out from
numerous reinstalls with reboots of Norton 360 which kept "losing" the
settings. But, as for it being robust, my mother crashed XP seven times the
first week. She kept getting crashes about once a month for a year. Most
of these crashes seemed to go away after a new video driver was released for
her machine. But, about a month ago, after three or so years of XP (now
updated to SP2), she crashed XP again getting a cryptic blue screen that
said to contact MS. If my almost computer illiterate mother can crash XP
SP2 semi-regularly, then I'm not sure how it can be called robust. I've
also experienced many odd problems with XP SP2 with "invasive" software like
Norton 360. Things like a hard lockup after XP attempting to increase the
size of the system swap files. As for Linux, it still doesn't support one
or two pieces of hardware on every one of the six or seven PC's I own.
Linux's EXT2 filesystem seemed to crash and corrupt once a week.

Rod Pemberton

From: Rod Pemberton on

"Betov" <betov(a)free.fr> wrote in message
> "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nohavenot.cmm> �crivait
>
> > But, hutch-- wasn't concerned?... And, hutch-- claims he was somehow
> > able to receive permission to do what the well renowned RH couldn't
> > receive permission to do? Most interesting. ;)
>

> What is the most funny to me, is the second shot of the joke:
>
> HLA being nothing but a front-end, the more this front-end
> is expecting from its own back-end, the more it achieves
> into the final question:
>
> "What is this front-end doing?". If it is just reversing the
> members of an Instruction and obfuscating Assembly with an
> absurd notation, why all of this stuff?

You've got a point. Once you've downloaded FASM, HLA's backend, just what
do you need HLA for? You've now got an assembler, and if you want high
level functionality there is always C, correct?

I take you're implying it's just a fanciful assembly preprocessor and that
it's not a complete high level language like C with an assembler as a
backend?

Rod Pemberton

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38
Prev: aeBIOS Test Request
Next: CMOVcc vs. Jcc