From: santosh on
Betov wrote:

> santosh <santosh.k83(a)gmail.com> �crivait news:fe8obj$qtv$1(a)aioe.org:
>
>> It was a combination of circumstances and clever marketing by MS.
>> When Windows 95 came out, there was no real graphical OS for the PC.
>
> Wrong. Before the Windows oncoming, there was a great OS (written in
> Structured Assembly, by the way...), which was way better than
> Windows, at that time. The name was "GeoWorks Ensemble". The only
> reason why Windows kicked it out, was *marketing*.

Yes. Apparently it's mistake was to rely on DOS, which Microsoft seemed
to have used as a "bargaining chip" with computer vendors to drop GEOS
and include Windows 3.xx in it's place.

Also the fact that it was 16-bit segmented model effectively obsoleted
it with the arrival of the 386 and later chips, particularly the
Pentium.

Too bad. If only they had used 32-bit assembly and not depended on DOS.
But perhaps in that case GeoWorks would now be "Windows" and it's
company "Microsoft", with all the same strong-arm tactics and dirty
tricks.

<snip>

> Also, RosAsm never was in any form of competition with NASM
> nor FASM. NASM and FASM are not specificaly designed for
> PEs production. They are "General Purpose Assemblers". Using
> them for PEs productivity would be rather absurd.

But now you've boxed yourself with Windows! At least make it output ELF
files. You don't need to port the whole IDE to Linux, just the
assembler alone would do.

From: JDavison on
santosh wrote:
> JDavison wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>> Shalom,
>> --Joel Davison
>
> Do you mind explaining what "Shalom" stands for? Is it some kind of
> greeting
> like "Good day" and what language is it a part of?

Google is your friend.

Shalom,
--Joel Davison

From: Robert Redelmeier on
Charles Crayne <ccrayne(a)crayne.org> wrote in part:
> On 06 Oct 2007 07:48:22 GMT Betov <betov(a)free.fr> wrote:
>> Considering the various actual ones, is there some
>> probability for having, later, a Processor emulating, by
>> default, any other Processor as supported by the main OSes,
>> say, on a PC and a embeeded Phone? (So that porting from
>> here to there would no more exist).
>
> Technically possible, but economically unlikely. The current
> marketing requirements for chip design seem to be increasing the
> raw speed without a corresponding increase in power consumption.

The "flagship" x86s from Intel and AMD certainly follow this.
They cannot increase electrical power much due to physical laws
such as heat removal and Ohm's law (current vs voltage drop).

However, there are VIA and other embedded x86 CPUs around.
And the fabulous success of ARM points the way. Annual sales
in the 100s of millions, and ASP/mm2 probably well above all
x86 except the very top end.

I could see a world with small stateless appliance boxes.
Walk up, plug in a memory stick and it boots your OS into
your execution and data environment.

-- Robert

From: Herbert Kleebauer on
"sevag.krikorian" wrote:
> On Oct 6, 5:38 am, Herbert Kleebauer <k...(a)unibwm.de> wrote:

> > As I said, I'm always willing to learn, especially when I
> > have said something illogical. Can you please tell me, what
> > exactly illogical I said.

> I don't care to go into the search to find them now but I have brought
> them up in reply to you before.

If you brought them up in a reply, then I surely showed you who's
argument are illogical.
From: Evenbit on
On Oct 6, 6:13 pm, "sevag.krikorian" <sevag.krikor...(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
> > You compare RosAsm to what???? exactly?
>
> The Lisa assembler, another product that tried to insert an editor,
> assembler, debugger, etc. into a single application. Face it, people
> prefer integrated environments where they may choose the tools to
> integrate instead of being stuck with one product that tries to be a
> jack of all trades, master of none.

I guess you are not aware of the huge success (and still a favorable
following) of Visual Basic? There were many attempts amoung compiler
vendors (some "big name" corps included) to replicate this phenomenom.

In the ASM community, Spasm/RosAsm succeeded at obtaining the product
(including accessory items, examples, etc.. {necessary support
framework around the product}) part of the goal where several other
attempts [ yes, many incarnations of "Visual Assembly" project, I am
looking at you! ] have failed.

Nathan.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Prev: aeBIOS Test Request
Next: CMOVcc vs. Jcc