From: Rod Pemberton on

<rhyde(a)cs.ucr.edu> wrote in message
> On Oct 5, 1:45 am, "Rod Pemberton" <do_not_h...(a)nowhere.cmm> wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately, Herbert's great stuff is lost on the world because he
doesn't
> > embrace x86 syntax.
>
> Exactly what is "x86 syntax"?

Specifically, it's the syntax that Intel defined. Loosely, it's something
that looks reasonably close to what Intel publishes, uses Intel's names for
instructions, uses Intel's names for registers, etc.

> > So is Randall's because of his failure to embrace the C
> > syntax fully.
>
> And if I did, you'd simply be complaining that it's lost on the world
> because I don't embrace x86 syntax.

Pick one. Not two.

> > MASM's syntax, of course, is being rapidly expired by NASM's.
>
> Why don't you provide proof of this?

1) HLA which, according to recent posts, uses FASM whose syntax is derived
from NASM.
2) Linux, the second most prominent OS, which doesn't run MASM, and where
many prefer NASM to GAS.
3) alt.os.development and most OS development sites like osdever.net and
osdev.org where people are developing OSes. NASM is the predominant
assembler choice.
4) LCC, which now has at least a half dozen ports, most of which use NASM
as a backend.
(LCC, LCC-Win32, LCC-Linux32, Pelles C, RadiOS LCC, "LCC-Q3VM" for
Quake3)

The other versions of LCC can be found by search. LCC-Linux32 is here (from
a post yesterday by Jacob Navia)
http://www.q-software-solutions.de/products/lcc-linux32/index.shtml

That's quite a bit of proof, but I suspect that no matter how much I
provide, that it's somehow insufficient for you to adjust your current
paradigms...

Rod Pemberton

From: Betov on
//\\\\o//\\\\annabee <w(a)w.w.w> �crivait news:op.tzr2bes1in6out(a)darth-fpsr:

> I got off at "It may be used for any purpose, "
>
> Evidently it cannot be used for _any_ purpose.
>
> And now I understand what you ment earlier.

:))

Well, i should not laugh, because the whole story is finaly
rather sad:

In fact, this is a quite good job. Very difficult to use, when
you do not know what it is about, but i just succeeded to output
something comparable to our .gud files (in the form of a .inc
file for MASM, for the "iBaseAudio" thingies.

Really sad of wasting such a work because of demential political
views.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: //o//annabee on
On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:40:32 +0200, Betov <betov(a)free.fr> wrote:

> //\\\\o//\\\\annabee <w(a)w.w.w> �crivait
>
>> I got off at "It may be used for any purpose, "
>>
>> Evidently it cannot be used for _any_ purpose.
>>
>> And now I understand what you ment earlier.
>
> :))
>
> Well, i should not laugh, because the whole story is finaly
> rather sad:
>
> In fact, this is a quite good job. Very difficult to use, when
> you do not know what it is about, but i just succeeded to output
> something comparable to our .gud files (in the form of a .inc
> file for MASM, for the "iBaseAudio" thingies.
>
> Really sad of wasting such a work because of demential political
> views.

Yes, well. The source can be read...

And it can be recreated with RosAsm wihtout ever modifying the source :D :D

And then I can cut and paste... :D

So.... as free as it can become beeing written in MASM

From: Betov on
"Rod Pemberton" <do_not_have(a)nohavenot.cmm> �crivait news:fe866a$1ii$1
@aioe.org:

> That's quite a bit of proof, but I suspect that no matter how much I
> provide, that it's somehow insufficient for you to adjust your current
> paradigms...

Of course. Why do you think this individual choosed to support
MASM over NASM, in his earlier versions? The only reason why he
did not finaly choose MASM (even though he goes on supporting it
actively), was that he was afraid of its illegal redistribution.

Would have MicroSoft given its permission, keep sure that MASM
would be inside his package, dispiting all of the defects and
limitations of this toy.

When asked about "Why not NASM?", he was used to provide the so
funny answer:

"NASM Macros Engine is not powerful enough for supporting HLA".

[Notice the *two* great jokes in one].

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: Betov on
//\\\\o//\\\\annabee <w(a)w.w.w> �crivait

> Yes, well. The source can be read...
>
> And it can be recreated with RosAsm wihtout ever modifying the source
> :D :D
>
> And then I can cut and paste... :D
>
> So.... as free as it can become beeing written in MASM

I hope you are joking, because I wouldn't even reuse PD.

:))

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28
Prev: aeBIOS Test Request
Next: CMOVcc vs. Jcc