From: rhyde on
On Oct 4, 4:31 am, japheth <m...(a)japheth.de> wrote:
> > kill, was about programming PEs in pure Assembly.
>
> Sorry, this restriction wasn't mentioned in the OP's request for
> showing "significant" MASM applications. It also sounds a bit
> artificial IMO.

Everytime this argument comes up Rene places artificial constraints on
what is an "application". Oh, you listed an OS? That's not an app. Oh,
you listed a DOS program, that's not an app. Oh, you listed a command-
line tool, that's not an app (as we all know that applications are
always GUI apps). Oh, you listed a Linux program, that's not a PE app.
Oh, you listed a .... it's not an assembly application.

The bottom line is that if you didn't write it for Win32 as a GUI app
using RosAsm, Rene doesn't consider it an "application."

Interestingly enough, many people do *not* consider programming tools
(like RosAsm) "applications." Those are "system tools", not apps.
Applications are things like database applications, accounting
applications, and so on. So if we use a common definition for
"application", then RosAsm isn't an application, either -- it's just a
system tool.

The bottom line is that Rene has spent *years* refining his
definitions so as to exclude anything written with MASM, HLA, or TASM
from the class of products he has to compete with. It's true with his
contrived definition of "assembler" and it's equally true with his
definition of "application". But what else do you expect from a man
who claims "I don't like standard English definitions, so I make up my
own words and definitions for existing words."

hLater,
Randy Hyde

From: japheth on
> First, no idea which IDE was used. So...

None. Just a Makefile. But IIRC a VC project file is available as
well.

> Second, COMView.asm does not seem to me to be the Main File. So,
> impossible to know which asm files are inside (only .inc, there)
> and how they are organized. So, it is impossible for me to take
> a real look, nor to evaluate the real work, in this typical MASM
> hell.

There is no "Main File", but the source handling the main window is
CMainDlg.ASM.
Also, it is not a "hell" at all. It's organized in "classes", and IMO
it should be rather easy to understand for anyone having written
something in C++.

> but if you are happy
> with a having spent, at least, two years, for having a list view
> showing the available COM objects

you seem to be rather fast with your judgements. In my opinion it's
the world's best COM explorer, but really, I don't mind if our
opinions differ.

> Have you implemented a full drag drop server in there?

IIRC correctly, yes. Source should be contained in CDropSource,
CDataObject and CEnumFormatETC.

> I think I am going to like this !

Thanks a lot. :)

From: //o//annabee on
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:42:40 +0200, japheth <mail(a)japheth.de> wrote:

> you seem to be rather fast with your judgements. In my opinion it's
> the world's best COM explorer, but really, I don't mind if our
> opinions differ.

This is actually a very nice program.
And yes, the best COM explorer I have seen.

> Thanks a lot. :)

Nice to met a real coder. :)

From: Betov on
japheth <mail(a)japheth.de> �crivait news:1191534160.731715.225790
@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

> There is no "Main File", but the source handling the main window is
> CMainDlg.ASM.
> Also, it is not a "hell" at all. It's organized in "classes", and IMO
> it should be rather easy to understand for anyone having written
> something in C++.

It seesm so, but for me, it is a real hell to follow.
What i was searching for does not exist.

>> but if you are happy
>> with a having spent, at least, two years, for having a list view
>> showing the available COM objects
>
> you seem to be rather fast with your judgements. In my opinion it's
> the world's best COM explorer, but really, I don't mind if our
> opinions differ.

Oh, yes, it probably is the best COM collector around.
Personally, even though we have something for GUIDs
in RosAsm, i never took a look at it. So, this is an
area that i do not know. For what i know, these infos
should be found in the Registry, but i suppose that i
am wrong, because i fail to imagine how reading regkeys
could achieve into such a big source, and so many years
of work, even if done with such a irrational toy as MASM.

Betov.

< http://rosasm.org >

From: JDavison on
Betov scribbled:

> Oh, yes, it probably is the best COM collector around.
> Personally, even though we have something for GUIDs
> in RosAsm, i never took a look at it. So, this is an
> area that i do not know. For what i know, these infos
> should be found in the Registry, but i suppose that i
> am wrong, because i fail to imagine how reading regkeys
> could achieve into such a big source, and so many years
> of work, even if done with such a irrational toy as MASM.

We finally agree on something!!

You see, just like you, I suppose that you are wrong, too.

What a Happy Day,
--Joel Davison

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
Prev: aeBIOS Test Request
Next: CMOVcc vs. Jcc