From: James J. Gavan on
Pete Dashwood wrote:
> James J. Gavan wrote:
>

> I have been trying to contact Bill since just before Christmas and yes, I do
> have his phone number.
>
> I believe there may be cause for concern, but didn't want to raise that here
> until it could be confirmed or discarded.
>
> There has been a holiday period and I understand he may have been away
> square dancing for some of that.
>
> The nephew's web site is redirected and out of date.

Well "Me"'s message is in a sense reassuring seeing that he was still
active as of Feb 23. Still, curious that he hasn't communicated here. He
surely would have found something to comment on, outside of the OT's ?

Not an area I'm into that SORT business which is the link to Bill above,
but related. If you check Arnold's site he recently made reference to
under his 'Test' thread, there's an interesting paper from Lief ??????
about various SORTs along with COBOL coded examples.

I best remember Lief back here in yonder days getting into a minor
pissing contest about 'The Towers of Hanoi' (??), move slices of one
pyramid to another without the whole lot collapsing.

Jimmy

From: Anonymous on
In article <fVEgn.45658$0N3.6059(a)newsfe09.iad>,
James J. Gavan <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

[snip]

>If you check Arnold's site he recently made reference to
>under his 'Test' thread, there's an interesting paper from Lief ??????
>about various SORTs along with COBOL coded examples.

Leif Svalgaard? A blast from the past, both barrels... I hope that he is
in good health.

>I best remember Lief back here in yonder days getting into a minor
>pissing contest about 'The Towers of Hanoi' (??), move slices of one
>pyramid to another without the whole lot collapsing.

I best remember the relation of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle to COBOL in one
word: don't.

DD

From: James J. Gavan on
docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
> In article <fVEgn.45658$0N3.6059(a)newsfe09.iad>,
> James J. Gavan <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>

>>If you check Arnold's site he recently made reference to
>>under his 'Test' thread, there's an interesting paper from Lief ??????
>>about various SORTs along with COBOL coded examples.
>

> Leif Svalgaard? A blast from the past, both barrels... I hope that he is
> in good health.
>

>>I best remember Lief back here in yonder days getting into a minor
>>pissing contest about 'The Towers of Hanoi' (??), move slices of one
>>pyramid to another without the whole lot collapsing.
>

> I best remember the relation of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle to COBOL in one
> word: don't.

As to Leif's current whereabouts the only thing I can add - if you check
his paper at Arnold's site, there's a footnote that makes reference to
his career. I'm guessing he is now happily retired. I recall liking his
input very muchly. The Towers of Hanoi - meant nothing to me, but I had
one of those big tomes on Win 32 APIs code and diagrams for 'Hanoi'.
(You know, one of those books you just think you might need, but should
have slung away 10 years ago).

Jimmy
From: James J. Gavan on
me wrote:

> There's a link on Bill Klein's Homepage to his nephew's Livejournal page -
> last entry Sunday 21st Feb
>
> http://brightorange14.livejournal.com/
>
> You could use the Comment Section & ask him

Most certainly not intended by you but accidentally you have given us
misinformation, from both messages, (I think). I was preparing supper
tonight, and I thought, 'Wait a minute, wait a minute. What's the date
today ?'. Working from home, hadn't a clue, but checked my diary. I
wasn't sitting at the computer at the time to use the taskbar clock -
I'm not a multi-tasking chef.

It wasn't easily apparent in one of your references which year they were
using.

Here we are today at
== 2010 == Feb 22 and I think your references are :-
** 2009 ** Feb ??

In my original message to Pete I did say I found his last message in
here was 2009 Dec 3, which obviously is a later date than the February
you reference. If I've got it wrong, please advise, but certainly no
apology needed from you.

Jimmy
From: Arnold Trembley on
My comments are interleaved -

On 2/22/2010 9:44 PM, James J. Gavan wrote:
> docdwarf(a)panix.com wrote:
>> In article <fVEgn.45658$0N3.6059(a)newsfe09.iad>,
>> James J. Gavan <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:
>>
>> [snip]
>>

>>> If you check Arnold's site he recently made reference to under his
>>> 'Test' thread, there's an interesting paper from Lief ?????? about
>>> various SORTs along with COBOL coded examples.
>>

>> Leif Svalgaard? A blast from the past, both barrels... I hope that he
>> is in good health.

When I moved my webpages over to a different host last Sunday, I emailed
Leif to ask if he was still okay with me hosting his articles. He
replied within a couple of hours to say Yes, and he also thanked me for
hosting them.

I really enjoyed his article on sorting, and I thought it was well worth
keeping available.

>>> I best remember Lief back here in yonder days getting into a minor
>>> pissing contest about 'The Towers of Hanoi' (??), move slices of one
>>> pyramid to another without the whole lot collapsing.
>>

>> I best remember the relation of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle to COBOL in
>> one word: don't.
>>
> As to Leif's current whereabouts the only thing I can add - if you check
> his paper at Arnold's site, there's a footnote that makes reference to
> his career. I'm guessing he is now happily retired. I recall liking his
> input very muchly. The Towers of Hanoi - meant nothing to me, but I had
> one of those big tomes on Win 32 APIs code and diagrams for 'Hanoi'.
> (You know, one of those books you just think you might need, but should
> have slung away 10 years ago).
>
> Jimmy

There's a sort of a sidebar to Leif's article on sorting. He wrote
about how recursion is difficult to implement in COBOL but that it could
be simulated with iteration, or "pseudo-recursion" as he called it. And
one example he used was the "towers of Hanoi" game. It's also an
interesting article:
http://www.arnoldtrembley.com/pseudor2.htm

--
http://www.arnoldtrembley.com/