From: me on
"James J. Gavan" <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Here we are today at
> == 2010 == Feb 22 and I think your references are :-
> ** 2009 ** Feb ??
>
> In my original message to Pete I did say I found his last message in here
> was 2009 Dec 3, which obviously is a later date than the February you
> reference. If I've got it wrong, please advise, but certainly no apology
> needed from you.
>
> Jimmy

Sunday, February 21st, 2010
3:33 pm Where's Geroge?
Has anybody used http://www.wheresgeorge.com enough to get a good feel
on how often bills get hit? My aunt gave me a stamp and inkpad that I've
been using all month, but none of my 50 bills have been entered by anybody
else yet.

From: me on
Ignore my last posting - you were referring to William, for some reason I
looked at his Nephew's posting.

It's an age thing :-(

From: Anonymous on
In article <DaIgn.2541$mn6.629(a)newsfe07.iad>,
James J. Gavan <jgavandeletethis(a)shaw.ca> wrote:

[snip]

>(You know, one of those books you just think you might need, but should
>have slung away 10 years ago).

What's this? You mean advances o'er the decades have made things so now
there's no better use than my Inverterate Biology textbook than to prop up
a short table-leg? It is a good thing I came to that conclusion on my
own, long ago.

DD

From: Anonymous on
In article <JpWdnWxcHbUW8B7WnZ2dnUVZ_oadnZ2d(a)giganews.com>,
Arnold Trembley <arnold.trembley(a)att.net> wrote:

[snip]

>>> Leif Svalgaard? A blast from the past, both barrels... I hope that he
>>> is in good health.
>
>When I moved my webpages over to a different host last Sunday, I emailed
>Leif to ask if he was still okay with me hosting his articles. He
>replied within a couple of hours to say Yes, and he also thanked me for
>hosting them.

His response-time and continued interest might indicate continued good
health; let the best be hoped for.

[snip]

>>> I best remember the relation of the Towers of Hanoi puzzle to COBOL in
>>> one word: don't.

[snip]

>There's a sort of a sidebar to Leif's article on sorting. He wrote
>about how recursion is difficult to implement in COBOL but that it could
>be simulated with iteration, or "pseudo-recursion" as he called it. And
>one example he used was the "towers of Hanoi" game. It's also an
>interesting article:
>http://www.arnoldtrembley.com/pseudor2.htm

Bingo... that was the reason for the 'don't'; the Towers is best done with
recursion and COBOL didn't allow for recursion. The result was similar to
what has been said about dancing bears, ie. 'The miracle of a dancing bear
is not how gracefully it dances but that it dances at all', originally
stated, as I recall, by Samuel Johnson about women preachers... but my
memory is, admittedly, porous.

DD

From: Robert Jones on
On Feb 23, 10:56 am, docdw...(a)panix.com () wrote:
> In article <JpWdnWxcHbUW8B7WnZ2dnUVZ_oadn...(a)giganews.com>,
> Arnold Trembley  <arnold.tremb...(a)att.net> wrote:
>
> [snip]

> >When I moved my webpages over to a different host last Sunday, I emailed
> >Leif to ask if he was still okay with me hosting his articles.  He
> >replied within a couple of hours to say Yes, and he also thanked me for
> >hosting them.
>
> His response-time and continued interest might indicate continued good
> health; let the best be hoped for.
>
> [snip]

> [snip]
>
> >There's a sort of a sidebar to Leif's article on sorting.  He wrote
> >about how recursion is difficult to implement in COBOL but that it could
> >be simulated with iteration, or "pseudo-recursion" as he called it.  And
> >one example he used was the "towers of Hanoi" game.  It's also an
> >interesting article:
> >http://www.arnoldtrembley.com/pseudor2.htm
>
> Bingo... that was the reason for the 'don't'; the Towers is best done with
> recursion and COBOL didn't allow for recursion.  The result was similar to
> what has been said about dancing bears, ie. 'The miracle of a dancing bear
> is not how gracefully it dances but that it dances at all', originally
> stated, as I recall, by Samuel Johnson about women preachers... but my
> memory is, admittedly, porous.
>
> DD

I have just sent him a message on Facebook, so hopefully he will
respond soon.
Robert