From: Bill Graham on

"D. Peter Maus" <DPeterMaus(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> On 9/17/09 17:33 , SMS wrote:
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>>> It's amazing how few people here break into houses, when they know
>>> that the occupants probably have a gun.
>>
>> In fact, the opposite is true. Nearly all break-ins occur when the
>> occupants are not home. Guns are one of the items most likely to be
>> stolen in house break-ins.
>>
>>> If I were a professional house breaker, I would go to some country
>>> where no one is allowed to own a gun. That's just good common sense.
>>
>> A professional "house breaker" does not break into houses that are
>> occupied. They do break into houses where they think fence-able items
>> are available. An indication that the homeowner is a member of the NRA
>> would indicate the probability that handguns are stored in the house.
>>

> > If you want to prevent break-ins, install security cameras,
> alarms, and
>> get a dog that barks a lot when strangers approach. You'll be much more
>> likely to prevent a break-in than you would by owning a gun.
>

> Um...when Morton Grove banned handguns, home invasions went up 128%.

Just look at the crime rate in New York City, where handguns have been
illegal all of my life.

From: D. Peter Maus on
On 9/17/09 19:13 , Bill Graham wrote:

> "D. Peter Maus" <DPeterMaus(a)worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>>> In fact, the opposite is true. Nearly all break-ins occur when the
>>> occupants are not home. Guns are one of the items most likely to be
>>> stolen in house break-ins.

>>> A professional "house breaker" does not break into houses that are
>>> occupied. They do break into houses where they think fence-able items
>>> are available. An indication that the homeowner is a member of the NRA
>>> would indicate the probability that handguns are stored in the house.
>>>

>> > If you want to prevent break-ins, install security cameras,
>> alarms, and
>>> get a dog that barks a lot when strangers approach. You'll be much more
>>> likely to prevent a break-in than you would by owning a gun.
>>

>> Um...when Morton Grove banned handguns, home invasions went up 128%.
>>

> Just look at the crime rate in New York City, where handguns have been
> illegal all of my life.

Or DC.

From: Savageduck on
On 2009-09-17 16:52:45 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:

> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message
>> Bill Graham wrote:
>>
>>> It's amazing how few people here break into houses, when they know that
>>> the occupants probably have a gun.
>>
>> In fact, the opposite is true. Nearly all break-ins occur when the
>> occupants are not home. Guns are one of the items most likely to be
>> stolen in house break-ins.
>>
>>> If I were a professional house breaker, I would go to some country
>>> where no one is allowed to own a gun. That's just good common sense.
>>
>> A professional "house breaker" does not break into houses that are
>> occupied. They do break into houses where they think fence-able items
>> are available. An indication that the homeowner is a member of the NRA
>> would indicate the probability that handguns are stored in the house.
>>
>> If you want to prevent break-ins, install security cameras, alarms, and
>> get a dog that barks a lot when strangers approach. You'll be much more
>> likely to prevent a break-in than you would by owning a gun.
>
> I meant break ins when the occupants either are home, or the breaker
> doesn't know whether or not the occupants are home.....Of course,
> people won't normally break into houses when the occupants are known to
> be home. Especially here in the US, where the occupants are known to
> have guns in the house. When I leave the house, I leave lights on, and
> close my garage door, so nobody knows I am gone. And when I am home
> sleeping in the middle of the night, I have that gun under my mattress,
> baby.....

Under the mattress is not a safe place to keep any weapon, especially
groping for it under duress.
A bedside drawer is safer and more accessible.
BTW there is nothing that will clear your home of intruders quicker
than the sound of a 12 gauge pump action shotgun being racked. That is
by far the finest home defense weapon.

....and you will probably never even have to introduce yourself to your
uninvited guests.
--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: Bill Graham on

"Savageduck" <savageduck@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote in message
> On 2009-09-17 15:47:33 -0700, "D. Peter Maus"
> <DPeterMaus(a)worldnet.att.net> said:

>>> In fact, the opposite is true. Nearly all break-ins occur when the
>>> occupants are not home. Guns are one of the items most likely to be
>>> stolen in house break-ins.

>>> A professional "house breaker" does not break into houses that are
>>> occupied. They do break into houses where they think fence-able items
>>> are available. An indication that the homeowner is a member of the NRA
>>> would indicate the probability that handguns are stored in the house.
>>>

>> > If you want to prevent break-ins, install security cameras, alarms,
>> and
>>> get a dog that barks a lot when strangers approach. You'll be much more
>>> likely to prevent a break-in than you would by owning a gun.
>>

>> Um...when Morton Grove banned handguns, home invasions went up 128%.
>
> Damn! It's a good thing I have this:
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-Kimber-CDP-LAc.jpg
>
> and as a retired peace officer, can liberally use it to do this;
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/Target-Aw.jpg
>
> and if that isn't enough I can always fall back on these;
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-S%26W-M52-LAc.jpg
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-HS-104-RAc.jpg
>
> ... this I just have for the pure joy of having a piece of history;
> http://homepage.mac.com/lco/filechute/G-1852Navy-Ac.jpg
>
> Who knows why the home invaders have stayed away?
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

You are truly a man after my own heart, Savageduck.....but, you should also
have a few air guns.....they are very well made, and highly accurate, and
are a lot of fun to practice with, as well as being very cheap to shoot. You
can also shoot them in your house, and don't have to go to a firing range. I
became a crack pistol shooter through the use of air guns, and the
ammunition was only about a penny a piece or less....I could hit a silver
dollar at fifty feet free standing when I was about 50 years old.....

From: Bill Graham on

> On 2009-09-17 16:52:45 -0700, "Bill Graham" <weg9(a)comcast.net> said:
>

>> "SMS" <scharf.steven(a)geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> In fact, the opposite is true. Nearly all break-ins occur when the
>>> occupants are not home. Guns are one of the items most likely to be
>>> stolen in house break-ins.

>>> A professional "house breaker" does not break into houses that are
>>> occupied. They do break into houses where they think fence-able items
>>> are available. An indication that the homeowner is a member of the NRA
>>> would indicate the probability that handguns are stored in the house.
>>>
>>> If you want to prevent break-ins, install security cameras, alarms, and
>>> get a dog that barks a lot when strangers approach. You'll be much more
>>> likely to prevent a break-in than you would by owning a gun.
>>
>> I meant break ins when the occupants either are home, or the breaker
>> doesn't know whether or not the occupants are home.....Of course, people
>> won't normally break into houses when the occupants are known to be home.
>> Especially here in the US, where the occupants are known to have guns in
>> the house. When I leave the house, I leave lights on, and close my garage
>> door, so nobody knows I am gone. And when I am home sleeping in the
>> middle of the night, I have that gun under my mattress, baby.....
>
> Under the mattress is not a safe place to keep any weapon, especially
> groping for it under duress.
> A bedside drawer is safer and more accessible.
> BTW there is nothing that will clear your home of intruders quicker than
> the sound of a 12 gauge pump action shotgun being racked. That is by far
> the finest home defense weapon.
>
> ...and you will probably never even have to introduce yourself to your
> uninvited guests.
> --
> Regards,
>
> Savageduck

Actually, I do keep it in a drawer next to my bed...

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48
Prev: Pittsburgh
Next: Incompatible jpeg?