From: mikey4 on

<stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message news:h916ml$lne$3(a)news.albasani.net...
> mikey4 wrote:
>

>> People are pissed because "they" have finely woke up to the fact that the
>> "government" is out of control and has been for a very long time.
>
> Well I was pissed watching GWB spending BILLIONS on a war while giving
> MASSIVE tax breaks to the wealthy. I was pissed watching him do NOTHING
> other than watching the economy fail. Were you? Some of us didn't just
> "wake up" because a republican wasn't in the white house. If Obama had
> been handed a healthy country and done this, I'd be pissed right there
> with ya, but that isn't what happened.
>
> Stephanie

My point here Stephanie is that this entire mess is a result of *both*
parties screwing the pooch for *years and years and years*. The republicans
win by a land slide and they *think* they have a mandate, they don't, people
were sick and tired of what the dems were doing. The dems win by ands land
slide and well, you finish the sentence.
They have us right where they want us, squabbling about this party did that
and the other party did this.
News flash, BOTH PARTIES are doing US.!!!

From: mikey4 on

"John A." <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message
> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 09:13:55 -0500, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net>
> wrote:
>

>><stephe_k(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Well you might need to look at what Obama was handed by GWB before you
>>> try
>>> to blame him for where we are.
>>>
>>No, look at what conress and the senate handed him.
>>You really need to learn *who* spends the money.
>
> Congress was stupid to give the Bush administration so much latitude
> as to where the bailout funds would go. Given the administrations
> crisis management track record they should have known better and put
> more restrictions and oversight on it.

"Congress was stupid". Almost right John however it should have read
"Congress IS stupid and greedy and full of it's self."

From: mikey4 on

> [...]
>>stopped being as willing to create new loans. This exacerbated the
>>situation
>>leading to less and less expenditures.
>>Sorry to post the link, there are a few here who can't look up the
>>information themselves.
>>
>>Also: Many believe erroneously that the stock market crash that occurred
>>on
>>Black Tuesday, October 29, 1929 is one and the same with the Great
>>Depression. In fact, it was one of the major causes that led to the Great
>>Depression. Two months after the original crash in October, stockholders
>>had
>>lost more than $40 billion dollars. Even though the stock market began to
>>regain some of its losses, by the end of 1930, it just was not enough and
>>America truly entered what is called the Great Depression.
>>
>>And: With the stock market crash and the fears of further economic woes,
>>individuals from all classes stopped purchasing items. This then led to a
>>reduction in the number of items produced and thus a reduction in the
>>workforce. As people lost their jobs, they were unable to keep up with
>>paying for items they had bought through installment plans and their items
>>were repossessed. More and more inventory began to accumulate. The
>>unemployment rate rose above 25% which meant, of course, even less
>>spending
>>to help alleviate the economic situation.
>>

>>The list goes on a little further. FDIC now insures deposits in banks and
>>another insurance company insures stock transactions. There are enough
>>safe
>>guards in place that another "Great Depression" is unlikely. Of the many
>>problems we face is that our economy has gone from a primarily
>>manufacturing
>>one to a consumer based economy.
>>Then we have the high unemployment rates along with our F'd up government
>>throwing *more* money at the problems which will most likely cause some
>>hellish inflation, remember high inflation rates of the 70's?
>>
>>What's so funny is that it is the government (*both houses*) that create
>>these problems.
>>
>>This is a clip from an email I received the other day.
>> Do not let these 545 people shift the blame to bureaucrats, whom they
>> hire
>>and whose jobs they can abolish; to lobbyists, whose gifts and advice
>>they
>>can reject; to regulators, to whom they give the power to regulate and
>>from
>>whom they can take this power. Above all, do not let them con you into
>>the belief that there exists disembodied mystical forces like "the
>>economy," "inflation," or "politics" that prevent them from doing what
>>they
>>take an oath to do.
>
> So you agree, then, that without the regulation that we do still have
> in place the current recession would likely have been much worse.

I was responding to your company and bank failures causing the Great
Depression, I have never disagreed that, in general, regulation is needed.
I still stand by my statement that we could very well looking at 70's
inflation which will not be a good thing.

From: mikey4 on

> On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:05:58 -0500, "mikey4" <lakediver(a)dd..net>
> wrote:
>

>>"John A." <john(a)nowhere.invalid> wrote in message

>>> Congress was stupid to give the Bush administration so much latitude
>>> as to where the bailout funds would go. Given the administrations
>>> crisis management track record they should have known better and put
>>> more restrictions and oversight on it.
>>>
>>"Congress was stupid". Almost right John however it should have read
>>"Congress IS stupid and greedy and full of it's self."
>
> "I'm from the government and I'm here to help" is only scary when the
> people who believe it's scary are in charge.
>
> I think it's been noted elsewhere that you don't seem to want any sort
> of government, and also that there are such countries in the world you
> might try and see if you are happier living in.

I think you have missed the point. "I'm from the government and I'm here to
help" is only scary when the
people who believe it's scary are in charge." I disagree. It is scary
when you see the out come of the help.
I am not painting *all* government workers only the leaders of both houses.

From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital J. Clarke <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote:
> Chris Malcolm wrote:

>>> Or DC.
>>
>> Or Tokyo, where people leave their suitases out on the street while
>> they have a cup of tea inside the house waiting for a taxi, leave
>> their bicycles in the street unlocked with shopping in the basket when
>> they're shopping, and where ex-pat American women say how amazing it
>> is to be able to walk the streets alone at night feeling quite safe.
>>
>> There's more to the problem than guns -- the elephant in the room
>> nobody wants to talk about is why are US cities such savage places?

> Imagine there being an office with a sign on the door that says "Mafia
> Headquarters", a Mafia-published newsletter reporting accurately their
> activities, and community services openly provided by the Mafia, Mafiosi
> running around in a corporate uniform, with any criminal not authorized by
> the Mafia likely to have a very short life.

> Well it's like that in Japan. Google "Yakuza". Nobody would accuse them of
> being "nice guys" but they have rules, and anyone wanting to be a live
> criminal in Japan follows them.

So the reason the streets of Tokyo are as safe as a remote English
country village are not because the Japanese population is so well
behaved, but because the Japanese criminals are so well behaved :-)

--
Chris Malcolm
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last