From: spudnik on
there's only one possible cure for that kind of thing;
sit back & read Shakespeare, aloud;
switch-off with the KJV Holy Bible (translated
by WS & co. .-)... unless, you hate Shakespeare
more than the British Petroleum oligarchy.

thusNso:
that is not an "image of a photon,"
but an "artist's impression" of some heuristic statement
by a theoretician (which is as much status as any
of us can have, hereinat).
the wave & particle are merely mathematical duals,
not that the object in question is both at the same time,
or neccesarily both at different times.
> http://superstruny.aspweb.cz/images/fyzika/foton.gif

thusNso:
Death to the lightconeheads; long-live Minkowsksi!

thusNso:
"real-valued time" is why, we have quaternions;
it's the "scalar" in Hamilton's lingo of vectors.

now, you mentioned tensors, and that is apropos, because
it is used for stress & strain, which are clearly irrereversible;
perhaps, that is one of the first math-physics examples
of it.

thusNso:
I haven't read _Disquisitiones_ in Latin, either, but
there are good translations & it is highly recommended
by the LaRouchies ... they should put it
on their website, like they have *Les OEuvres du Fermatttt*, but
you can look at some cool tutorials, in the meantime,
at wlym.com.

thusNso:
I never read a word about Palin's hubbie's Seccesh "movement"
in the Liberal Media (Owned by consWervatives) and
that is sort-of the issue in AZ. I'm all for kids whose parents
managed to sneak
across the border & give birth, but I was taken aback
by the "sense of entitlement" that the older kids have, about college
(the DREAM Act; I stated to a group of them, that
crossing the border is essentially a Mexican "rite of passage," and
it is certainly not very dangerous as a proper hike, if you check the
FAQs
and maps & so forth from the Mexican goment (and those advocacy/
haven groups in the USA). well, it's either that or college *in*
Mexico, or
you'll probably be made to join a gang.

La Raza d'Atzlan are openly racist, not just by their title; at least,
that's the impression that I got, attending one of their meetings
at UCLA, two or three years ago -- it's in their God-am constitution.

of course, teh real problem is "free trade," and this is already here
to roost;
the little spill in the Gulf is being used by British Petroleum --
which is also
the #1 driller in the Alaska North Slope, that Ted Palin works for --
to creata an "outsourcing" mandate to solve the problem, because
we can't do it with our post-industrial cargo cult.

well, screw it;
read LaRouche, if you want to know the history with Lincoln
and his "Spot Resolutions;"
Cinco de Mayo should be a pan-american holiday!

thusNso:
Dear AG candidate Kelly;
no change from Jerry Brown's '69 "platform," eh?

it is intolerably stupid, insofar as we do need "fossilized fuels TM
(sik),"
to not get our share from our own "reserves." really, though,
it is merely biomass, and the techniques have progressed since '69.

Dubya's bro's ban offshore of Florida (and Louisiana) seemed like
a tactical maneuver to support the oilcos' scarcity programme
in our state. (why O why O why do folks believe,
that the oilcos did not support the Kyoto Protoccol,
which was just another cap'n'trade "free trade" nostrum,
that Dubya'd have undoubtdely signed, if he had been told?)

British Petroleum, the balls-out advocate of cap'n'trade,
"Beyond Petroleum," is also the biggest company
in the Alaska North Slope -- doesn't any body wonder,
why no-one asked Palin about her BP-employed hubbie, and
his Seccesionist ideals?

one must take into consideration, with all of the hype about it,
that oil comes out of the ground underwater in "seeps,"
under pressure. so, how much would come out, if
BP et al ad vomitorium were not pumping like crazy?

Waxman's current cap'n'trade bill just mandatorizes the huge,
voluntary cap'n'trade since 2003 -- tens of billions
in hedging per annum. what the Liberal Media (Ownwd
by consWervative) don't talk about, is that
he brought the first cap'n'trade bill in '91,
under HW (who worked with Gore on the Kyoto cap'n'trade).

what it amounts to, as Waxman basically admitted to,
when he was at UCLA, is "let the arbitrageurs raise the price
of energy, as much as they can in the 'free market' --
free beer, freedom!"

a small, adjustable carbon tax would achieve the same ends
-- as I even read "in passing" in a guest editorial in the WSUrinal,
as well as from an "expert" in a UCLA seminar, but who said that
it was (some how) "politically impossible" --
without being the Last Bailout of Wall Street (and the City of
London).

--mister Kelly, please, take me off of your list,
Brian H.

--Light: A History!
http://wlym.com
From: NoEinstein on
Dear Timo: Your bad attitude preceeds you. Like I just told PD, you
don't qualify to have any sort of back-and-forth conversation with
me. But if you have a valid science question, and if my answering it
might be of interest to the readers, put your statement in the FIRST
two sentences of your reply. Have you made that '+new post' yet? —
NE —

From: NoEinstein on
On May 25, 6:46 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear PD: Your comment, below, about equal and opposite thrust force
and resistance force would be astute, if not for this fact: Objects at
rest, waiting to be dropped, are already experiencing a downward force
equal to their static weight. As soon as the retaining force is
released, there is a dynamic imbalance that starts the object
accelerating at 'g'. The downward force can never exceed the object's
inertia. If 'a' is substituted for 'g', the acceleration could
(perhaps) be greater, and the force would not be limited to the
inertia. The latter is true ONLY for objects dropped near the Earth.
My correct kinetic energy equation, KE = a/g (m) + v / 32.174 (m)
works anywhere in the Universe, as long as the "Pound" of reference is
that for 'g', or on Earth. — NE —

From: BURT on
On Jun 1, 12:25 pm, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 25, 6:46 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear PD:  Your comment, below, about equal and opposite thrust force
> and resistance force would be astute, if not for this fact: Objects at
> rest, waiting to be dropped, are already experiencing a downward force
> equal to their static weight.  As soon as the retaining force is
> released, there is a dynamic imbalance that starts the object
> accelerating at 'g'.  The downward force can never exceed the object's
> inertia.  If 'a' is substituted for 'g', the acceleration could
> (perhaps) be greater, and the force would not be limited to the
> inertia.  The latter is true ONLY for objects dropped near the Earth.
> My correct kinetic energy equation, KE = a/g (m) + v / 32.174 (m)
> works anywhere in the Universe, as long as the "Pound" of reference is
> that for 'g', or on Earth.  — NE —
>

> > On May 23, 4:08 pm, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > > On May 20, 9:42 am, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Dear PD:  If you had ever taken a course in structural engineering,
> > > there are TWO distinct types of force interactions.  The STATIC ones
> > > always have the opposing forces being equal.
>
> > Yes, indeed, so the net force is zero, so the acceleration is zero.
> > Hence the word "static".
>
> > > But the DYNAMIC ones
> > > only have a FORCE equal to the LESSER resistance of the two.
>
> > What???
>
> > Let's take a simple example. There is a wooden block on a wooden
> > inclined plane, and the plane is tipped up until the block starts to
> > slide, accelerating. List the forces acting on the block, what their
> > origin is, what direction the force is pointing.
>
> > > You've
> > > never realized that DYNAMICS limits the downward force on the falling
> > > object to be whatever the INERTIA of the object is.  Since the inertia
> > > of a one pound mass will always be just one pound, there can never be
> > > an exponential KE increase, because the force and the resistance are
> > > equal.
>
> > WHAT????
> > If the force and resistance were equal, then there would be two equal
> > and opposite forces acting on the object, and you'd be back to a
> > static situation. Try again.
>
> > See the block example.
>
> > > Since your precious WORK would have to increase exponentially,
> > > that violates simple dynamics, because the distances traveled by
> > > falling objects differ so markedly from second to second.  I hope that
> > > you are sitting down, PD, because the latter statement means that
> > > there can neither be an increasing Work nor and increasing KE, from
> > > just the accruing COASTING components, which you are so reluctant to
> > > acknowledge.  The COASTING components of the distance of fall for all
> > > dropped objects KILLS your made-up science!  — NoEinstein —

What is the strength of gravity?
From: NoEinstein on
On May 25, 6:46 pm, PD <thedraperfam...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

Dear PD: Most structural engineering problems involve the use of
statics, rather than dynamics, to solve the equations. In statics, a
one pound force, matched head-on by a one pound “resisting force“,
won’t allow the point of reaction to go… accelerating away. On more
than one occasion, when I’ve said that the force must be equal to the
resistance—for falling objects, that involves dynamics, not statics.
I’ll explain the difference.

Suppose that there is a one pound object that is the “payload” of a
rocket with a one pound net thrust; i.e., the rocket thrust is one
pound MORE than the weight of the rocket minus the payload. Under
those conditions, Newton’s Second Law says that the rocket will be
accelerating at 32.174 feet per second, each second——better known as
the acceleration of gravity, ‘g’. As is the case for one pound
objects on the surface of the Earth, the uniform force of gravity will
cause any such object to press against the ground with a force of one
pound. The ground, in turn, must offer an upward resistance of one
pound to order to maintain static equilibrium (zero motion).

Einstein himself noted that a person in a windowless box that’s
accelerating at ‘g’ can’t tell whether the box is resting, stationary,
on the Earth, or flying through space. The box will be experiencing
the weight of the person, and the person will experience the support
(force) offered by the box. As required by Newton’s Third Law, the
“action” (the person’s weight) is exactly matched by the “reaction”——
the supporting force provided by the box. Those two are equal and
opposite, exactly as in the solving of problems in statics. The
design equations for the box would be identical to the ones used on
Earth for static loading.

The INERTIA of falling objects isn’t a ‘constant force’ that’s equal
to the static weight, but can have any value *from zero up to the
static weight. If a one pound block is resting on “frictionless” ice,
that block can be caused to slide at, say, one ounce of force. In
order to experience the maximum inertia of one pound, it will require
applying a force, via some point of reaction, that is capable of
moving 32.174 feet per second in the first second. So, the inertial
resistance of any mass is VELOCITY dependent, within the limits,
*above.

Consider that payload being accelerated by a one pound net thrust
rocket. If the payload weight is one pound, the acceleration will be
‘g’. If the payload weight were somehow reduced to .5 pounds, while
the net rocket thrust remains one pound, the acceleration would jump
to 2g. If the payload weight, somehow, could be increased to two
pounds, the acceleration would be cut to .5g.

It is very well known that all compact, near-Earth falling objects are
accelerating at ‘g'. Since the uniform force of gravity, acting on
the one pound object, always causes such to accelerate at ‘g’, then,
the force must be matched by the inertia of the object——as required by
Newton’s Third Law of Motion.

PD, you have repeatedly claimed that there can be a downward one-pound
force of gravity, WITHOUT there being a resistance. But here’s why
that can’t be: Gravity requires an ‘object’ to act upon. An object
that has no resistance, also has no inertia, and will, therefore, have
zero mass. You, erroneously, claim that a force can remain at one
pound without there being a resistance. Here’s why that is never the
case: A big black house fly is circling your den, and aggravating
you. So, you roll a newspaper into a one pound bat and swing away at
the fly. After several misses, you finally hit the pest. Your hand
and the newspaper were traveling exactly 32.174 feet per second. You
figure you just smashed the fly with a one pound force on its tiny
body. But much to your surprise, the fly hits the floor, readjusts
its wings, and flies away, apparently unharmed.

The physics of the above is simple: The impact of the fly and the
newspaper will never cause a force that’s greater than the inertia of
the FLY——quite small indeed! Since the fly’s body is always
functioning under its full weight, accelerating it to 'g’ isn’t a
killing force. The fly could be stunned, allowing you to smash it
flat, but you can never do that with a bat of ANY weight that isn’t
traveling faster than 32.174 feet per second. If the fly had ZERO
resistance or zero inertia, the newspaper wouldn’t experience any
force at all——exactly as if you had missed hitting it at all.

Learn this, PD: The available force of gravity on a one pound dropped
object, is 100% expended in causing the linear increase in the kinetic
energy, as is given by my equation, KE = a/g (m) + v / 32.174 (m).
Each second of fall, there is a COASTING carryover velocity from the
end of each of the previous seconds. Coasting is what causes the free-
drop curve to be parabolic in shape, rather than linear. Since 100%
of the force of gravity produces only a linear increase in KE, then,
there is no net force available to “act” through the remaining
distance of fall, to cause the… ‘work’ that you imagine is being
done. You err, PD, by assuming that a one pound force is available
for both the coasting portion of the curve, and the straight line
portion. As for a hockey puck already sliding on frictionless ice,
there is no force needed to keep the puck moving, or coasting. If you
still suppose that there is… then you are ignoring the Law of the
Conservation of Energy.

I’ve taken this long amount of time to walk-you-through the physics,
not because I expect you to ever… “get it”, but because I want 97.5%
of the readers to know, that I know, that I know! — NoEinstein —