From: NoEinstein on
On May 14, 7:46 am, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:

Dear Timo: This is in reply to the END of your previous comment:

Send me a drawing of the relative size, weight and spacing of the
balls. I can approximate the gravity, especially, if I know how close
the big ball is to the closest one on the beam. There will be a more
pronounced gravity effect if the balls are fairly close together—like
six inches. Air turbulence will be the limiting factor for… “how
close”. Also, since I don’t know the torsion characteristics of the
wire, nor its length, I have little idea what the osculation frequency
will be. Ideally, you should put exactly 90 degrees of initial twist
in the beam, measured with highest accuracy. It’s important that the
wire stay perpendicular, and be twisted 90 degrees. I recommend that
you install a surveyor’s plumb Bob in line with the axis of the wire
so that you can be sure the beam wasn’t pulled… sideways when you
rotated it. A longer wire will be more forgiving of the accuracy of
the initial twist.

TIME how long it takes for the twisted beam to come to rest. Keep as
much air motion out of the room as possible. Do that with the
unheated ball, and tell me the time required for the beam to come to
rest, and the number of osculations. Also, tell me the metal type you
are using, and how hot you can safely heat the entire ball. Is 330C
the highest you can go? That ball will loose heat to the air so
quickly that the average ball temperature should be what is used. Do
you have an infrared, photonic thermometer? If so, you need to record
the ball temperature about once per minute during the likely fifteen
minutes or so for the beam to come to rest. My ‘guess’ is that the
heated ball will come to rest in 80% to 90% of the time it took for
the unheated ball. In a fifteen minute experiment, you should easily
be able to record the quicker time. Once you get that, THEN you can
start doing the higher math to figure the likely increase in gravity.
If you can document everything very well; even repeating BOTH
experiments, you should publish the results in a technical journal, so
a dozen or more interested physicists can tackle the gravity
implications. This is important basic science, that can have far
ranging implications in understanding the Universe, and conquering the
Universe! — NoEinstein —

From: Timo Nieminen on
On May 15, 11:14 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On May 14, 7:46 am, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > For example, double the absolute temperature of the balls; easy to do,
> > just heat to about 330C. 16 times the radiated power, at double the
> > peak frequency, as compared with a room temperature ball. How much
> > larger should the gravitational force be?
>
> Send me a drawing of the relative size, weight and spacing of the
> balls.  I can approximate the gravity, especially, if I know how close
> the big ball is to the closest one on the beam.  There will be a more
> pronounced gravity effect if the balls are fairly close together—like
> six inches.

No, I'm not asking what should the result be in a particular Cavendish
apparatus. I'm asking about the gravitational force between two balls,
and how large your predicted temperature dependence is supposed to be.

You say:

> Once you get that, THEN you can
> start doing the higher math to figure the likely increase in gravity.

but this is what needs to come _first_. It is very useful to have some
idea of how large some effect you're planning to measure is. If
somebody asks you to help measure the length of something
(accurately), you want to know whether to bring along a long tape
measure, a metre ruler, vernier calipers, a micrometer, or something
else.

How large is your predicted effect? Given this, one can see if
existing apparatus is sufficient, or if not, what apparatus is needed.

> Air turbulence will be the limiting factor for… “how
> close”.

It is possible to do experiments in vacuum. Is it necessary to do the
experiment in vacuum? Thus the question, how large is the effect
supposed to be?

> Also, tell me the metal type you
> are using, and how hot you can safely heat the entire ball.  Is 330C
> the highest you can go?

Of course 330C isn't the hottest possible. 330C is double room
temperature, convenient for giving a quantitative prediction (16 times
radiated power, at 2 times the peak frequency).

If the experiment should yield a large enough effect at 330C (or even
lower), then it might well be better to do it at a lower temperature.
Less convection, etc. How large should the effect be at 330C? This is
very useful information in order to determine the best temperature to
try the experiment at.

Why should it take "higher math" to give a quantitative result? What
higher math? Of course, since you yourself have spoken many times of
your superior math skills, it shouldn't be a significant obstacle to
you even if "higher math" is required. Even with only a fraction of
your ability, it should be possible to do this easily enough, surely
in less than an hour. So why not just say how large the effect is
supposed to be?
From: BURT on
On May 14, 8:45 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
> On May 15, 11:14 am, NoEinstein <noeinst...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > On May 14, 7:46 am, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:
>
> > > For example, double the absolute temperature of the balls; easy to do,
> > > just heat to about 330C. 16 times the radiated power, at double the
> > > peak frequency, as compared with a room temperature ball. How much
> > > larger should the gravitational force be?
>
> > Send me a drawing of the relative size, weight and spacing of the
> > balls.  I can approximate the gravity, especially, if I know how close
> > the big ball is to the closest one on the beam.  There will be a more
> > pronounced gravity effect if the balls are fairly close together—like
> > six inches.
>
> No, I'm not asking what should the result be in a particular Cavendish
> apparatus. I'm asking about the gravitational force between two balls,
> and how large your predicted temperature dependence is supposed to be.
>
> You say:
>
> > Once you get that, THEN you can
> > start doing the higher math to figure the likely increase in gravity.
>
> but this is what needs to come _first_. It is very useful to have some
> idea of how large some effect you're planning to measure is. If
> somebody asks you to help measure the length of something
> (accurately), you want to know whether to bring along a long tape
> measure, a metre ruler, vernier calipers, a micrometer, or something
> else.
>
> How large is your predicted effect? Given this, one can see if
> existing apparatus is sufficient, or if not, what apparatus is needed.
>
> > Air turbulence will be the limiting factor for… “how
> > close”.
>
> It is possible to do experiments in vacuum. Is it necessary to do the
> experiment in vacuum? Thus the question, how large is the effect
> supposed to be?
>
> > Also, tell me the metal type you
> > are using, and how hot you can safely heat the entire ball.  Is 330C
> > the highest you can go?
>
> Of course 330C isn't the hottest possible. 330C is double room
> temperature, convenient for giving a quantitative prediction (16 times
> radiated power, at 2 times the peak frequency).
>
> If the experiment should yield a large enough effect at 330C (or even
> lower), then it might well be better to do it at a lower temperature.
> Less convection, etc. How large should the effect be at 330C? This is
> very useful information in order to determine the best temperature to
> try the experiment at.
>
> Why should it take "higher math" to give a quantitative result? What
> higher math? Of course, since you yourself have spoken many times of
> your superior math skills, it shouldn't be a significant obstacle to
> you even if "higher math" is required. Even with only a fraction of
> your ability, it should be possible to do this easily enough, surely
> in less than an hour. So why not just say how large the effect is
> supposed to be?

How does the aether push speed up in increasing strength of gravity?

Mitch Raemsch
From: John Murphy on
On 15 May, 07:05, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:
> On May 14, 8:45 pm, Timo Nieminen <t...(a)physics.uq.edu.au> wrote:

> > > Send me a drawing of the relative size, weight and spacing of the
> > > balls.  I can approximate the gravity, especially, if I know how close
> > > the big ball is to the closest one on the beam.  There will be a more
> > > pronounced gravity effect if the balls are fairly close together—like
> > > six inches.
>
> > No, I'm not asking what should the result be in a particular Cavendish
> > apparatus. I'm asking about the gravitational force between two balls,
> > and how large your predicted temperature dependence is supposed to be.
>
> > You say:
>
> > > Once you get that, THEN you can
> > > start doing the higher math to figure the likely increase in gravity.
>
> > but this is what needs to come _first_. It is very useful to have some
> > idea of how large some effect you're planning to measure is. If
> > somebody asks you to help measure the length of something
> > (accurately), you want to know whether to bring along a long tape
> > measure, a metre ruler, vernier calipers, a micrometer, or something
> > else.
>
> > How large is your predicted effect? Given this, one can see if
> > existing apparatus is sufficient, or if not, what apparatus is needed.
>
> > > Air turbulence will be the limiting factor for… “how
> > > close”.
>
> > It is possible to do experiments in vacuum. Is it necessary to do the
> > experiment in vacuum? Thus the question, how large is the effect
> > supposed to be?
>
> > > Also, tell me the metal type you
> > > are using, and how hot you can safely heat the entire ball.  Is 330C
> > > the highest you can go?
>
> > Of course 330C isn't the hottest possible. 330C is double room
> > temperature, convenient for giving a quantitative prediction (16 times
> > radiated power, at 2 times the peak frequency).
>
> > If the experiment should yield a large enough effect at 330C (or even
> > lower), then it might well be better to do it at a lower temperature.
> > Less convection, etc. How large should the effect be at 330C? This is
> > very useful information in order to determine the best temperature to
> > try the experiment at.
>
> > Why should it take "higher math" to give a quantitative result? What
> > higher math? Of course, since you yourself have spoken many times of
> > your superior math skills, it shouldn't be a significant obstacle to
> > you even if "higher math" is required. Even with only a fraction of
> > your ability, it should be possible to do this easily enough, surely
> > in less than an hour. So why not just say how large the effect is
> > supposed to be?
>
> How does the aether push speed up in increasing strength of gravity?
>
> Mitch Raemsch

The aether is a medium that will accommodate any postualte that suits
it!

--
Harbinger.
From: BURT on
On May 15, 12:20 am, John Murphy
<london.accommodation.homest...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 15 May, 07:05, BURT <macromi...(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > No, I'm not asking what should the result be in a particular Cavendish
> > > apparatus. I'm asking about the gravitational force between two balls,
> > > and how large your predicted temperature dependence is supposed to be..
>
> > > You say:

> > > but this is what needs to come _first_. It is very useful to have some
> > > idea of how large some effect you're planning to measure is. If
> > > somebody asks you to help measure the length of something
> > > (accurately), you want to know whether to bring along a long tape
> > > measure, a metre ruler, vernier calipers, a micrometer, or something
> > > else.
>
> > > How large is your predicted effect? Given this, one can see if
> > > existing apparatus is sufficient, or if not, what apparatus is needed..

> > > It is possible to do experiments in vacuum. Is it necessary to do the
> > > experiment in vacuum? Thus the question, how large is the effect
> > > supposed to be?

> > > Of course 330C isn't the hottest possible. 330C is double room
> > > temperature, convenient for giving a quantitative prediction (16 times
> > > radiated power, at 2 times the peak frequency).
>
> > > If the experiment should yield a large enough effect at 330C (or even
> > > lower), then it might well be better to do it at a lower temperature.
> > > Less convection, etc. How large should the effect be at 330C? This is
> > > very useful information in order to determine the best temperature to
> > > try the experiment at.
>
> > > Why should it take "higher math" to give a quantitative result? What
> > > higher math? Of course, since you yourself have spoken many times of
> > > your superior math skills, it shouldn't be a significant obstacle to
> > > you even if "higher math" is required. Even with only a fraction of
> > > your ability, it should be possible to do this easily enough, surely
> > > in less than an hour. So why not just say how large the effect is
> > > supposed to be?
>
> > How does the aether push speed up in increasing strength of gravity?
>
> > Mitch Raemsch
>
> The aether is a medium that will accommodate any postualte that suits
> it!
>
> --
> Harbinger.- Hide quoted text -

In that case it is blank slate like string dimensions are.

Mitch Raemsch