From: Atheist Chaplain on
"nospam" <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <4c31255d$1(a)news.x-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
> <abused(a)cia.gov> wrote:
>
>> > the iphone has a usenet app, and contrary to your beliefs, apple
>> > doesn't control what people do with iphones.
>>
>> just what they can install :-)
>
> nope.
>
> they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
> deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
> users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
> web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
> iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
>
> and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
> single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
> apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.

you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
Apple :-)
doing ANYTHING that is not approved by them is not only leaving yourself
open to litigation but they can point blank refuse to service or repair your
shitty iPhone as well.
using un-approved apps on the phone is one of those restrictions, sure, you
may be able to install it but doing so voids your warranty and can cost you
big dollars in legal costs if Apple decides to be petulant, and its not like
they have been above that in the past.

--
[This comment is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Church of
Scientology International]

From: nospam on
In article <4c313dce$1(a)news.x-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
<abused(a)cia.gov> wrote:

> >> just what they can install :-)
> >
> > nope.
> >
> > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
> > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
> > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
> > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
> > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
> >
> > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
> > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
> > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.
>
> you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
> Apple :-)

i have read it.

it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
developed and deployed.

and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

> doing ANYTHING that is not approved by them is not only leaving yourself
> open to litigation but they can point blank refuse to service or repair your
> shitty iPhone as well.

nonsense. where do people come up with this stuff? open to litigation
for what?

yes they can refuse to repair a jailbroken phone under warranty, but
that's no different than if you made an unauthorized modification to
any other product. it's also possible to just restore stock firmware
and wipe all traces of jailbrokeness.

modify a nikon or canon camera and see how well that works out for you.
remove the infrared cut filter and they will no longer warrant it,
although the company that made the infrared mod might. if you did it
yourself and something breaks, bummer.

adjust the autofocus calibration then send it in to 'fix it' after you
screw it up, see how well *that* works out.

even something as minor as using a third party battery can void a
warranty (read the agreement), although it may be impossible to
determine unless the camera explodes with parts of the third party
battery melted inside. canon even displayed non-canon batteries at
trade shows to show how dangerous it could be (and to sell their
batteries).

> using un-approved apps on the phone is one of those restrictions, sure, you
> may be able to install it but doing so voids your warranty and can cost you
> big dollars in legal costs if Apple decides to be petulant, and its not like
> they have been above that in the past.

complete nonsense.

there are legitimate methods of installing apps that are not submitted
to the apps store, including remote deployment for enterprise as well
as web apps, some of which can remain resident on the device and not
need the web to be used.

jailbreaking does void the warranty, but there are no legal costs
unless you do something stupid to justify it, and jailbreaking isn't
one of them.
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

>> > nope.
>> >
>> > they only control is what is available on the store. companies can
>> > deploy apps directly to employees without going through the store and
>> > users can do the same to their own devices if they are so motivated.
>> > web apps don't go through the store at all, and can be used on any
>> > iphone (or other mobile device for that matter).
>> >
>> > and it isn't just apple. microsoft windows phone 7 will also have a
>> > single store and sell only approved apps. google can (and has) removed
>> > apps and can even install apps without the user's consent.
>>
>> you really need to read and understand the current restrictive EULA from
>> Apple :-)
>
> i have read it.
>
> it seems you need to read it, and also learn about how iphone apps are
> developed and deployed.
>
> and you are completely ignoring microsoft, who essentially has the same
> restrictions. why is it ok for them but not apple?

It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
company.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://photos.cfaj.ca>
Author: =======================
From: nospam on
In article <89d22fF13gU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
> company.

your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
useful software, some of which has no replacement.
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
> In article <89d22fF13gU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
>> company.
>
> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
> useful software, some of which has no replacement.

There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
system.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>