From: John Navas on
On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, in <89d4mrF13gU2(a)mid.individual.net>, "Chris
F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
>> In article <89d22fF13gU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
>><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
>>> company.
>>
>> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
>> useful software, some of which has no replacement.
>
> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
> system.

Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)

--
John

Buying a dSLR doesn't make you a photographer,
it makes you a dSLR owner.
"The single most important component of a camera
is the twelve inches behind it." -Ansel Adams
From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-07-05, John Navas wrote:
> On 5 Jul 2010 04:17:31 GMT, in <89d4mrF13gU2(a)mid.individual.net>, "Chris
> F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:

>>> your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
>>> useful software, some of which has no replacement.
>>
>> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
>> system.
>
> Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)

Quite the contrary. There is more choice for most software on *nix
systems than there is for any other system, and it's higher quality
and usually much cheaper.

The exception, perhaps, is games, but that doesn't interest me.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: nospam on
In article <89d4mrF13gU2(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2010-07-05, nospam wrote:
> > In article <89d22fF13gU1(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
> ><cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> It's not OK for them either; I will not use anything from either
> >> company.
> >
> > your loss. by doing so, you give up a significant amount of extremely
> > useful software, some of which has no replacement.
>
> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
> system.

that's wonderful.

no garmin gps software that until recently was windows only, and now is
both mac and windows only.

no firmware updaters for a wide variety of devices, including cameras
and bluetooth headsets, since they're generally windows only.

no photoshop (gimp is not equivalent), no final cut, no aperture or
lightroom, and the list goes on.

but if you have what you need, that's all that matters.
From: nospam on
In article <89d596F13gU3(a)mid.individual.net>, Chris F.A. Johnson
<cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> >> There is nothing I need or want that I cannot get for my GNU/Linux
> >> system.
> >
> > Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)
>
> Quite the contrary. There is more choice for most software on *nix
> systems than there is for any other system, and it's higher quality
> and usually much cheaper.

complete utter bullshit.

macs have the widest selection of software because they can run all
mac, windows *and* unix software natively, simultaneously. no other
platform can do that. a user is able to pick the best app for any given
task from multiple operating systems.

> The exception, perhaps, is games, but that doesn't interest me.

so there's more software only if you eliminate one area in which
there's more. got it.
From: John Navas on
On 5 Jul 2010 04:27:19 GMT, in <89d596F13gU3(a)mid.individual.net>, "Chris
F.A. Johnson" <cfajohnson(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On 2010-07-05, John Navas wrote:

>> Then your needs must be modest indeed. ;)
>
> Quite the contrary. There is more choice for most software on *nix
> systems than there is for any other system, and it's higher quality
> and usually much cheaper.

Only if you count trivial scripts, not if you count real applications.

I have no agenda -- I use the best tool for the job at hand -- sometimes
that's Solaris, sometimes that's BSD, sometimes that's Linux, sometimes
that's Mac OS X, on and on, but mostly it's Windows, because Windows has
by far the biggest wealth of applications to do the things I need to do.

But I'm not going to be drawn into a silly advocacy debate, so you'll
have to rant on without me.

[follow-up set to alt.windows.bash.bash.bash]

--
John

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
difficult to redirect, awe inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it." --Gene Spafford