From: Savageduck on
On 2010-07-07 10:27:45 -0700, SneakyP said:

> nospam <nospam(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in
>
>> In article
>> <a51dd544-a9c6-495b-95f5-30240b154883(a)r27g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

>>> Just with the iPad then?
>>
>> nope. apple doesn't control what users do with any apple product.
>>

> But it sounds like they want to. It's just like camera gear- anything
> to make things more costly, I suppose. For instance, Nikon lenses and
> Canon lenses are not interchangeable obviously but so too are not the
> supposedly "compatible" stuff after a few years (3rd party makes that are
> foiled by new designs of Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc...)
>
> Proprietary stuff just keeps them changing so you have to buy from the
> specific maker for their own products.
>

> Just my RANT on things.

....but sometimes Apple has its reasons for maintaining control.
<
http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/06/apple-responds-on-itunes-fraud-vaguely-confirms-said-fraud/

It can help to keep some thieving SOB out of your wallet.

--
Regards,

Savageduck

From: nospam on
In article <4c347453(a)news.x-privat.org>, Atheist Chaplain
<abused(a)cia.gov> wrote:

> >> so where can I get a Windows 7 phone right now ??
> >
> > what difference does that make? Microsoft has already announced that
> > there will be app approval and a single apps store, just like apple.
> > why isn't that an issue? because it's not apple. when other companies
> > do the same thing, it's fine.
>
> But again I have to remind you we are not discussing Microsoft, but Apple,
> so why throw in the red herring ??

you are proving my point. when others do exactly the same thing as
apple, people turn a blind eye.

> Proprietary is a word that Apple have just about trade marked, but your so
> in denial that you need a Dhow to navigate.

what is a 'Dhow' ?

> Maybe its time for apple to be put under a little scrutiny, and its obvious
> that your don't like it when the tables are turned, get over it.

like the scrutiny that microsoft went under, where they were called an
abusive monopoly?
From: nospam on
In article <Xns9DAE7B583DB7748umofa02sneakemailc(a)127.0.0.1>, SneakyP
<48umofa02(a)WHITELISTONLYsneakemail.com> wrote:

> > nope. apple doesn't control what users do with any apple product.
>
> But it sounds like they want to.

how so?

> It's just like camera gear- anything
> to make things more costly, I suppose. For instance, Nikon lenses and
> Canon lenses are not interchangeable obviously but so too are not the
> supposedly "compatible" stuff after a few years (3rd party makes that are
> foiled by new designs of Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc...)

neither are most parts for cars. tires come in certain sizes but if you
buy a new car, invariably you will need different size tires. radios
used to be a standard size and easy to swap, but not anymore.

macs and pcs use standard usb mice & keyboards, standard ata/sata hard
drives, standard vga/dvi displays, etc.

more importantly, content you put on them and what you do with them is
entirely up to the user.

> Proprietary stuff just keeps them changing so you have to buy from the
> specific maker for their own products.

except that you don't need to buy *anything* from apple other than the
product itself. yes, apple sells music and videos, but you can encode
your own cds or pirate music if you want.