From: Paul Furman on
Bowser wrote:
> First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
> This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
> shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
> shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
> to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
> earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
> park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
> rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
> and submit three photos.

Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:

http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-04&lat=37&long=-122&zoom=9&abs=-1

explanation:
http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
From: Robert Coe on
:
: Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:
:
: http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-04&lat=37&long=-122&zoom=9&abs=-1
:
: explanation:
: http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page

I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
functions as the pin. ;^)

Bob
From: otter on
On Jul 5, 8:21 am, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
> : Bowser wrote:
>
> : > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
> : > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
> : > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
> : > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
> : > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
> : > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
> : > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
> : > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
> : > and submit three photos.
> :
> : Here's one way to choose your map pin spot:
> :
> :http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-04&lat=37&long=-...
> :
> : explanation:
> :http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
>
> I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
> city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
> them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
> functions as the pin.  ;^)
>
> Bob

Tthat is a liberal interpretation of the mandate.

Those are points of "interest", not random points. I think the point
of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
(random) locations.
From: Robert Coe on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 06:35:57 -0700 (PDT), otter <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
: On Jul 5, 8:21�am, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
: > On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 08:07:54 -0700, Paul Furman <pa...@-edgehill.net> wrote:
: > : Bowser wrote:
: >
: > : > First Rerun: The Pinhole Photo, Due July 18th, 2010
: > : > This is a looser rerun of the very first mandate, which requires the
: > : > shooter to flip a map upside down, stick a pin in it, and then grab a
: > : > shot at that location on the map. However, I've expanded the mandate
: > : > to "your area," which can be town, city, state, etc. Use the whole
: > : > earth, if you dare. Drive to Yosemite, stick a pin in a map of the
: > : > park, and see if need to hike to the Diving Board. And, with the new
: > : > rules about submissions, you can use three pins for three locations
: > : > and submit three photos.
: > :
[...]

A few observations on that:

- Some of those "points of interest" are not, in themselves, particularly
interesting. The challenge is to go there and find a shot that makes the site
as interesting as it can be. Whether the site was chosen at random or by some
other method that's effectively beyond the photographer's control is not that
relevant, arguably.

- By their nature, SI mandates favor those in the group who are retired or
otherwise blessed with a lot of free time over those of us who are not. In my
case it's often find a way to incorporate the mandate into my normal
activities or sit this month out. And I have sat out several mandates because
I simply didn't have the time to get involved in a type of photography that I
normally don't do.

- An overly narrow interpretation of the mandate lessens participation and
reduces everyne's enjoyment of the process. I'd claim that the recent
Wallpaper mandate is a case in point. While some very nice pictures were
submitted, participation was much lower than I would have anticipated, with
several highly competent regulars absent. I suspect that two factors were
primarily to blame: (1) The required aspect ratio accommodated a screen shape
that many of us rarely see, forcing us to omit or modify pictures that we were
actually using as wallpapers; and (2) Several people had weighed in with their
idiosyncratic opinions on what constituted a good (or even acceptable)
wallpaper, effectively narrowing the mandate and practically assuring that
some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.

The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light. I
think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a
picture was when it was too big.

Bob
From: Peter on
"tony cooper" <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:59:31 -04

> I have one shot already that was in a quarter mile of the pin. The
> actual pin would have put me in an area where I would either be mugged
> or arrested for attempting to buy drugs. I may re-stick.

I'm sure that was an unintended pun.

--
Peter