From: Paul Furman on
tony cooper wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:34:14 -0700, Savageduck
> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2010-07-05 10:21:59 -0700, tony cooper<tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:

>>> I won't fall for that line. You're just trying to needle me.
>>
>> Stuck up pricks!
>
> We should end this discussion. It will never be a mainline thread.

Bleeding edge can be fun...
From: otter on
On Jul 5, 8:42 pm, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:37:52 -0700 (PDT), otter <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> : I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish?  :-)
>
> How would a serious photographer possibly have time to golf or fish?  :^|
>
> : Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
> : stink.  But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the
> : rules when they submit.
> :
> : As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
> : neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
> : to shoot there.  Better than the housing development or empty field
> : that I ended up with.  But maybe I should just keep sticking more
> : pins.
>
> In the empty field, get out your macro lens and shoot weeds. No, I'm serious.
> The Boston Globe did an article a few weeks ago on how biologists are starting
> to take an entirely different view of weeds, even some previously considered
> invasive, seeing them now as useful contributors to the ecology of a city..
> This may be your chance to be in the forefront of a new trend!  ;^)

The empty lot does have the most potential. I don't have a macro
lens, but maybe I'll take one of my dogs out there and photograph it.
From: otter on
On Jul 5, 9:09 pm, tony cooper <tony_cooper...(a)earthlink.net> wrote:
> [...]
> >> normally don't do.
>
> >> -  An overly narrow interpretation of the mandate lessens participation and
> >> reduces everyne's enjoyment of the process. I'd claim that the recent
> >> Wallpaper mandate is a case in point. While some very nice pictures were
> >> submitted, participation was much lower than I would have anticipated, with
> >> several highly competent regulars absent. I suspect that two factors were
> >> primarily to blame: (1) The required aspect ratio accommodated a screen shape
> >> that many of us rarely see, forcing us to omit or modify pictures that we were
> >> actually using as wallpapers; and (2) Several people had weighed in with their
> >> idiosyncratic opinions on what constituted a good (or even acceptable)
> >> wallpaper, effectively narrowing the mandate and practically assuring that
> >> some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.
>
> >> The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
> >> shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
> >> to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
> >> horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light.. I
> >> think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
> >> mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a
> >> picture was when it was too big.
>
> >> Bob
>
> >I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish?  :-)
>
> >Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
> >stink.  But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the
> >rules when they submit.
>
> If you follow the comments after the Shoot-In is made available, many
> people provide information about how they got the shot.
>

> >As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
> >neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
> >to shoot there.  Better than the housing development or empty field
> >that I ended up with.  But maybe I should just keep sticking more
> >pins.
>
> I made that comment.  Most of what I shoot is candid "street"
> photography.  I do a lot of shooting in not-so-nice neighborhoods.
>
> However, there are neighborhoods where I'm not welcome.  I know these
> neighborhoods, and I know when not to be intrusive and when not to go
> into an area where there might be trouble.  I can get away with taking
> candids in some situations, but it's not a good thing to walk into a
> project and start snapping photos.  The more people around, the more
> likely it is that someone will object.  When one person objects, the
> crowd follows.
>
> This was taken not far from the pin, but in an area not so crowded.  I
> took prints of this picture to the two players a few days later, and
> several other people wanted their photo taken.  I'm now welcome in

That's an interesting picture. I like it, even though it looks
surreal.
From: Chris Malcolm on
In rec.photo.digital otter <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

> Those are points of "interest", not random points. I think the point
> of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
> (random) locations.

If the locations are truly random then some of them will be
interesting by lucky accident. Which would seem to be unfair to
unlucky photographers.

--
Chris Malcolm
Warning: none of the above is indisputable fact.
From: otter on
On Jul 6, 12:46 am, Chris Malcolm <c...(a)holyrood.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> In rec.photo.digital otter <bighorn_b...(a)hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Those are points of "interest", not random points.  I think the point
> > of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
> > (random) locations.
>
> If the locations are truly random then some of them will be
> interesting by lucky accident. Which would seem to be unfair to
> unlucky photographers.

So, anything goes?

I have some interesting pictures (at least I think so) that I took
over the weekend that were within 10 miles of my pin holes. Can I use
those?