From: Chris F.A. Johnson on
On 2010-07-05, Savageduck wrote:
> On 2010-07-05 13:14:29 -0700, tony cooper <tony_cooper213(a)earthlink.net> said:
>
>> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 10:34:14 -0700, Savageduck
>> <savageduck1@{REMOVESPAM}me.com> wrote:

>>> Stuck up pricks!
>>
>> We should end this discussion. It will never be a mainline thread.
>
> Consider the wound stitched up.

Suture self.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================
From: otter on
On Jul 5, 9:59 am, Robert Coe <b...(a)1776.COM> wrote:
> [...]
> : > :http://irc.peeron.com/xkcd/map/map.html?date=2010-07-04&lat=37&long=-...
> : > :
> : > : explanation:
> : > :http://wiki.xkcd.com/geohashing/Main_Page
> : >
> : > I've recently been assigned to photograph all the points of interest in the
> : > city for which I work. So I've been visiting a variety of locations, some of
> : > them pretty obscure, that I've never seen before. For me the assignment
> : > functions as the pin.  ;^)
> :
> : That is a liberal interpretation of the mandate.
> :
> : Those are points of "interest", not random points.  I think the point
> : of the mandate is to try to take interesting pictures at uninteresting
> : (random) locations.
>
> A few observations on that:
>
> -  Some of those "points of interest" are not, in themselves, particularly
> interesting. The challenge is to go there and find a shot that makes the site
> as interesting as it can be. Whether the site was chosen at random or by some
> other method that's effectively beyond the photographer's control is not that
> relevant, arguably.
>
> -  By their nature, SI mandates favor those in the group who are retired or
> otherwise blessed with a lot of free time over those of us who are not. In my
> case it's often find a way to incorporate the mandate into my normal
> activities or sit this month out. And I have sat out several mandates because
> I simply didn't have the time to get involved in a type of photography that I
> normally don't do.
>
> -  An overly narrow interpretation of the mandate lessens participation and
> reduces everyne's enjoyment of the process. I'd claim that the recent
> Wallpaper mandate is a case in point. While some very nice pictures were
> submitted, participation was much lower than I would have anticipated, with
> several highly competent regulars absent. I suspect that two factors were
> primarily to blame: (1) The required aspect ratio accommodated a screen shape
> that many of us rarely see, forcing us to omit or modify pictures that we were
> actually using as wallpapers; and (2) Several people had weighed in with their
> idiosyncratic opinions on what constituted a good (or even acceptable)
> wallpaper, effectively narrowing the mandate and practically assuring that
> some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.
>
> The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
> shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
> to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
> horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light. I
> think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
> mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a

I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish? :-)

Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
stink. But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the
rules when they submit.

As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
to shoot there. Better than the housing development or empty field
that I ended up with. But maybe I should just keep sticking more
pins.

From: Robert Coe on
On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:37:52 -0700 (PDT), otter <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com>
wrote:
: I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish? :-)

How would a serious photographer possibly have time to golf or fish? :^|

: Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
: stink. But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the
: rules when they submit.
:
: As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
: neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
: to shoot there. Better than the housing development or empty field
: that I ended up with. But maybe I should just keep sticking more
: pins.

In the empty field, get out your macro lens and shoot weeds. No, I'm serious.
The Boston Globe did an article a few weeks ago on how biologists are starting
to take an entirely different view of weeds, even some previously considered
invasive, seeing them now as useful contributors to the ecology of a city.
This may be your chance to be in the forefront of a new trend! ;^)

Bob
From: tony cooper on
> [...]

>> some entries would be dismissed or ridiculed for not meeting those criteria.
>>
>> The Shoot-In's strength is its inclusiveness, and the point of a mandate
>> shouldn't be to exclude those who have trouble meeting it. Rather it should be
>> to challenge participants to take a broader view of their photographic
>> horizons and to use the mandate to see their work in a different light. I
>> think Bowser understands that and usually allows a broad interpretation of the
>> mandates he issues. I believe the only time I've ever seen him reject a
>> picture was when it was too big.
>>
>> Bob
>
>I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish? :-)
>
>Since it is not any kind of real competition, I won't raise any more
>stink. But maybe people should indicate how closely they followed the

If you follow the comments after the Shoot-In is made available, many
people provide information about how they got the shot.

>As for someone saying the pin would have put them in a bad
>neighborhood, hey at least there might have been something interesting
>to shoot there. Better than the housing development or empty field
>that I ended up with. But maybe I should just keep sticking more
>pins.

I made that comment. Most of what I shoot is candid "street"
photography. I do a lot of shooting in not-so-nice neighborhoods.

However, there are neighborhoods where I'm not welcome. I know these
neighborhoods, and I know when not to be intrusive and when not to go
into an area where there might be trouble. I can get away with taking
candids in some situations, but it's not a good thing to walk into a
project and start snapping photos. The more people around, the more
likely it is that someone will object. When one person objects, the
crowd follows.

This was taken not far from the pin, but in an area not so crowded. I
took prints of this picture to the two players a few days later, and
several other people wanted their photo taken. I'm now welcome in
this area.

http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/Sports/sports/Sports-Checkers-TonyCooper/717655592_edxmV-XL.jpg

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
From: tony cooper on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:42:51 -0400, Robert Coe <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote:

>On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:37:52 -0700 (PDT), otter <bighorn_bill(a)hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>: I don't mean to be judgemental, but do you guys golf or fish? :-)
>
>How would a serious photographer possibly have time to golf or fish? :^|

I live on a golf course and my house faces a tee box. I've never
photographed a golfer even though I could sit in my front yard and do
it all day. Too easy.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida