From: Hendrik van Hees on
I'm running the 64 bit version on my Lenovo Laptop for over a year now, and
there are no issues. The only problem, I ever had has been sun java in
connection with jaxodraw (a gui for drawing Feynman diagrams in LaTeX with
the axodraw style). There the 64-bit version had a bug, and the solution was
to use openjdk instead.

For 32-bit applications you can install 32-bit versions of the needed
libraries. In my case, e.g., Mathematica 7.0 (home edition) needs some 32-
bit libraries. Everything works smooth.

I don't see much difference to the 32-bit version on my ASUS Eee-PC netbook
(of course the Lenovo is pretty much faster than the Eee ;-)).

--
Hendrik van Hees
Justus-Liebig Universität Gießen
From: mjt on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 16:36:28 -0400
LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:

> browser and flash works fine. I don't even know if
> there is a 64 bit Firefox.

Installed Version
Version: 3.6.6-1.5
[...]
Provides: MozillaFirefox(x86-64) = 3.6.6-1.5
Architecture: x86_64

mmt(a)stimpy:~> strings /usr/lib64/firefox/firefox | grep 64
/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2
/usr/lib64/xulrunner-1.9.2.6
x86_64-gcc3

--
PL/1, "the fatal disease", belongs more to the problem set
than to the solution set. - E. W. Dijkstra

From: Pete Puma on
Hendrik van Hees wrote:

> I'm running the 64 bit version on my Lenovo Laptop for over a year now,
> and there are no issues. The only problem, I ever had has been sun java in
> connection with jaxodraw (a gui for drawing Feynman diagrams in LaTeX with
> the axodraw style). There the 64-bit version had a bug, and the solution
> was to use openjdk instead.
>
> For 32-bit applications you can install 32-bit versions of the needed
> libraries. In my case, e.g., Mathematica 7.0 (home edition) needs some 32-
> bit libraries. Everything works smooth.
>
> I don't see much difference to the 32-bit version on my ASUS Eee-PC
> netbook (of course the Lenovo is pretty much faster than the Eee ;-)).

Thanks for all your responses.

Seeing how I'm running 4 gigs of mem, I'll give it a shot and see how
smoother things are at 64 bit.

From: Will Honea on
Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Speed? The only direct benefit of using the 64-bit version is having the
> ability to use more than 3GB of address space for each process. Which
> makes sense only if you do serious number-crunching, like processing
> really really big images or video data. Of course having far more than 3GB
> of RAM comes handy in that case, too.

An alternate view: 64 bit SMP on properly threaded applications - such as
database servers - is noticeably faster even with <= 4GB. I run DB2
servers with both 32 and 64 bit dual or quad processors. Insert/delete and
update operation metrics are substantially higher for 64-bit.

I agree that the speed is not notably faster for desktop operations but
there are a number of CPU-bound classes besides memory hogs that show
noticeable speed advantages.

--
Will Honea

From: Jan Gerrit Kootstra on
Pete Puma schreef:
> That's my question.
>
> Thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.3 for speed reasons, but I do
> run many out of the way desktop programs: Xosview, Metamorphose, EasyTag,
> FileZilla, Catfish, which I'm sure are only compiled in 32-bit.
>
> Then there's that whole 64-bit mess with Firefox and Flash and I'm not sure
> if that's ever been resolved.
>
> Can anyone let me know the further drawbacks of going 64? Also, am I correct
> that 32 bit apps won't run at all?
Pete,

If I want to run a 32-bits version of an application that is available
both in 32-, and 64-bits, I put /usr/bin/linux32 before the command.

Also /usr/bin/linux64 if I want to use the 64-bits version.

So you have some control over what to run on a x86_64 installation.

Kind regards,

Jan Gerrit Kootstra