From: Peter Köhlmann on
Jan Kandziora wrote:

> Pete Puma schrieb:
>>
>> Thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.3 for speed reasons,
>>
> Speed? The only direct benefit of using the 64-bit version is having the
> ability to use more than 3GB of address space for each process. Which
> makes sense only if you do serious number-crunching, like processing
> really really big images or video data. Of course having far more than
> 3GB of RAM comes handy in that case, too.
>
> 32 Bit+PAE does the trick in all other cases.

64Bit is already faster than "standard" 32 bit
If you run 32bit+PAE you will lose 10% of speed for all kernel operations
It is noticeably slower then

So, to access more memory 64bit is the way to go.
If you want to run 32bit-only plugins, simply install the 32bit firefox
instead of the 64bit one. Or install it additionally
--
Windows: Because everyone needs a good laugh!

From: Rob on
LSMFT <boleyn7(a)aol.com> wrote:
> Pete Puma wrote:
>> That's my question.
>>
>> Thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.3 for speed reasons, but I do
>> run many out of the way desktop programs: Xosview, Metamorphose, EasyTag,
>> FileZilla, Catfish, which I'm sure are only compiled in 32-bit.
>>
>> Then there's that whole 64-bit mess with Firefox and Flash and I'm not sure
>> if that's ever been resolved.
>>
>> Can anyone let me know the further drawbacks of going 64? Also, am I correct
>> that 32 bit apps won't run at all?
>
> 32 bit programs run fine on 64 bit machines with 64 bit OS's.
>
> In the case of Flash, if no 32 bit version yet, just use a 32 bit
> browser and flash works fine. I don't even know if there is a 64 bit
> Firefox.

You are confusing it with the Windows issue.

On Windows, the only workaround for not having 64 bit flash is to use
a 32 bit browser.

But on Linux you can just use the 64 bit browser with the 32 bit plugin.
From: David Bolt on
On Friday 16 Jul 2010 10:11, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
houghi painted this mural:

> Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:
>> If I want to run a 32-bits version of an application that is available
>> both in 32-, and 64-bits, I put /usr/bin/linux32 before the command.
>>
>> Also /usr/bin/linux64 if I want to use the 64-bits version.
>>
>> So you have some control over what to run on a x86_64 installation.
>
> I never knew that.

They've been available for quite a while and are basically front-ends
for setarch. They can be used to tweak a programs environment, but
without options just change the output of uname -m and -a:

davjam(a)moray:~/disc_1> uname -a ; linux32 uname -a
Linux moray 2.6.31.5-0.3-default #1 SMP 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Linux moray 2.6.31.5-0.3-default #1 SMP 2009-10-26 15:49:03 +0100 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

This is useful for package building. By default, using build on a 64bit
system will create a chrooted 64bit build environment[0] to use for
making clean builds. Using linux32 makes it appear to build that it's
being used on a 32bit system, so it creates a 32bit build environment
within which to do the package building.

> But then I never had any issues with 32/64 bit.

I've not had any issues in a long time, and the ones I had related to a
lack of a 64bit flash plugin. At the time, that was solved by having a
32bit browser and plugins installed. Now I just use the 64bit browser
and plugins.

> know there were some issues in the beginning of 64bit. Especially with
> openSUSE as they were the first to come out with a 64 bit. Now I have
> not heard about issues in a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Trouble is, it takes a long time for the myths to die off.

[0] Basically, it does an installation within a directory and then uses
that freshly installed "system" to create the packages.

Regards,
David Bolt

--
Team Acorn: www.distributed.net
| | openSUSE 11.3RC2 32b |

From: David Bolt on
On Friday 16 Jul 2010 12:58, while playing with a tin of spray paint,
David Bolt painted this mural:

<snip>

> [0] Basically, it does an installation within a directory and then uses
> that freshly installed "system" to create the packages.

Forgot to mention that you can see it in action whenever you watch a
package being built by the build service, as build is the script used
to build all the packages on it.

Regards,
David Bolt

From: Neil Ellwood on
On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 14:20:27 -0400, Pete Puma wrote:

> That's my question.
>
> Thinking about installing 64-bit openSuse 11.3 for speed reasons, but I
> do run many out of the way desktop programs: Xosview, Metamorphose,
> EasyTag, FileZilla, Catfish, which I'm sure are only compiled in 32-bit.
>
> Then there's that whole 64-bit mess with Firefox and Flash and I'm not
> sure if that's ever been resolved.
>
> Can anyone let me know the further drawbacks of going 64? Also, am I
> correct that 32 bit apps won't run at all?

No. I have no problems.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r*a' and delete 'l'