From: Rob on
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Rob <nomail(a)example.com> wrote:
>> With 11.1 there is a crappy Java imitation installed by default, you
>> should get rid of that.
>
> The openjdk one, I know and I _did_ get rid of it.
> 11.1 offered three different editions of Java:
> java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.2_b11
> java-1_7_0-icedtea-1.5_b24
> (both oss) and the non-oss
> java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u7
> one. The first two are both a bit of beta, but DO offer a 64-bit
> mozilla/firefox/seamonkey plugin, the sun version at THAT time did
> NOT.

True, but at some later date the update of Sun Java started to offer
a 64bit plugin. At that time, it stopped working in Seamonkey (which
I still use). But it now works OK in 64 bit Firefox. So for pages that
need Java I use Firefox, and I have disabled Java in Seamonkey.

Flash works in both of them, although a bit better in Firefox. I should
move to Firefox/Thunderbird instead of the familiar Seamonkey.