From: Pete Puma on
Jan Gerrit Kootstra wrote:

> If I want to run a 32-bits version of an application that is available
> both in 32-, and 64-bits, I put /usr/bin/linux32 before the command.
>
> Also /usr/bin/linux64 if I want to use the 64-bits version.
>
> So you have some control over what to run on a x86_64 installation.
>

> Kind regards,
>

> Jan Gerrit Kootstra

Jan: interesting stuff. This could keep me out of potential troubles.
Thanks.
From: Eef Hartman on
Rob <nomail(a)example.com> wrote:
> But on Linux you can just use the 64 bit browser with the 32 bit plugin.

Doesn't work too well with flash.

Sun does have a 64-bits version of the Java plugin out now, though,
although I do not know if it's already packaged into recent 11.x
releases (my 11.1 didn't have it yet, as far as I know, although the
openjdk cq icedtea version were available as alternatives)
** Eef Hartman, Delft University of Technology, dept. SSC/ICT **
** e-mail: E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl - phone: +31-15-27 82525 **
From: Rob on
Eef Hartman <E.J.M.Hartman(a)tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Rob <nomail(a)example.com> wrote:
>> But on Linux you can just use the 64 bit browser with the 32 bit plugin.
>
> Doesn't work too well with flash.

With flash it works OK
With Java it was a problem.

> Sun does have a 64-bits version of the Java plugin out now, though,
> although I do not know if it's already packaged into recent 11.x
> releases (my 11.1 didn't have it yet, as far as I know, although the
> openjdk cq icedtea version were available as alternatives)

Eh?
With 11.1 there is a crappy Java imitation installed by default, you
should get rid of that.
But then you can install Sun Java 64 bits and it works fine.
It has been like this for at least a year. Before that, there was a
32 bit Sun Java that worked OK, but you needed to install a 32 bit
browser.
From: Hendrik van Hees on
Sun's 64-bit java is buggy (at least for some applications like JaxoDraw
(gluon lines) it doesn't work). Use the open java instead.

--
Hendrik van Hees
Justus-Liebig Universität Gießen
From: Eef Hartman on
Rob <nomail(a)example.com> wrote:
> With 11.1 there is a crappy Java imitation installed by default, you
> should get rid of that.

The openjdk one, I know and I _did_ get rid of it.
11.1 offered three different editions of Java:
java-1_6_0-openjdk-1.2_b11
java-1_7_0-icedtea-1.5_b24
(both oss) and the non-oss
java-1_6_0-sun-1.6.0.u7
one. The first two are both a bit of beta, but DO offer a 64-bit
mozilla/firefox/seamonkey plugin, the sun version at THAT time did
NOT.

> But then you can install Sun Java 64 bits and it works fine.
> It has been like this for at least a year. Before that, there was a
> 32 bit Sun Java that worked OK, but you needed to install a 32 bit
> browser.

That's what I did in 10.3 (the version which was the standard TU version
last college year), the O/S (64-bit image) came with the 64-bit firefox,
but with the command "firefox32" you got a 32-bit version WITH both Java
and Flash plugins installed.

Here, now, we're currently only using the 32-bit version (pae kernel) of
11.1, the only 64-bit machines we've got are running CentOS (and aren't
used as web browsers, there isn't even a firefox installed on them).

But real soon now we'll have to switch to a newer Linux as the newest
hardware already got problems with the 11.1 kernel (especially the
built-in Intel network adaptor). This could well be 11.3 but the jury
is still out.....