From: Larry Serflaten on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote
> : I just thought I'd mention, we are all limited to some finite amount of time ...

> Honestly, I don't spend much time worrying about that. People will think what they want to think.
<...>
> To spend time and energy worrying about what other folks think of me was time and energy wasted.
<...>
> There is only one person in my life who will carry my memory that I care about, and that is where I apply my time and energy,
without making compromises. My son.
<...>
> Everything else is moot.

I can agree to a certain extent, that we should not 'worry' about other people's opinion of us.
OTOH, you cannot avoid developing a reputation, amonst your peers, amonst your friends,
etc. You also may have been at this long enough to remember the RTFM posts that used to
be a common reply to people who ask questions they could easily find an answser to. So I
can see a precedent for your seemingly rude reply, but...

I'm just saying it is within your power to encourage, and it is within your power to condemn.
While anyone can tear down and destroy, there are too few that can inspire and maintain
a positive change.

Then there's that old adage that often turns out true; what goes around, comes around!
Yet another reason to avoid (if at all possible) any avenue that may lead to flame wars....

LFS

From: C. Kevin Provance on

:
: I'm just saying it is within your power to encourage, and it is within your power to condemn.
: While anyone can tear down and destroy, there are too few that can inspire and maintain
: a positive change.
:
: Then there's that old adage that often turns out true; what goes around, comes around!
: Yet another reason to avoid (if at all possible) any avenue that may lead to flame wars....

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect folks to at least TRY to find their own answers before asking everyone to do it for them. The exception I suppose some off the wall concept that might have no easily accessible answer, but the arguments for against the End statement? C'mon man, you should know having been around here longer than I it's been beaten to death. Searching Google groups easily brings those discussions to light.

The fact that the OP has made it a habit to ignore the Google advice several times over, instead opting to come directly here and ask for others to post the answers instead is just plain lazy. I've overlooked it several times hoping the message would finally sink in, but apparently not and certain have suggested the Google route several times only to be ignored. Forgiving repeat offenders encourages the same behaviors. Teach a man to fish and all that.

You can't just take someone on the shoulder to grab their attention anymore. If you use a sledgehammer, you'll find you have their undivded attention.

Heck, at this point, I would be impressed if the OP said, "I tried Googling using there terms (etc, etc, etc) and turned up nothing. What would be better terms to find the answer to x? I would gladly answer those queries with a smile on my face and on the message. It would show me and other that, the OP is actually trying on his own first, but needs a little help, versus the 'just give me the answer, coz I don't want to be bothered to do my own work.'

It's the same thing as those drive bys that want us to post code to a problem, instead of posting their own code and asking for help with it.

If that makes me a jerk in your opinion, then I can't change that. I'm not a big fan of laziness and mooching and nine times out of ten I would even post a question here until I've exhausted Google for all it's worth. I guess I expect folks to at least try to find their own answers first, especially to Q's that could be easily found in any Classic VB FAQ. Truly, if I had the time, I would maintain one myself and use that as a resource for such things. I proposed it once, hoping to make it a team effort...but no one seemed interested.

Anyways, there it is.

Cheers.
From: Nobody on

"C. Kevin Provance" <*@*.*> wrote in message
>> Educate yourself. Google. Why do you expect the rest of us to
>> repeat answers that are already out there, many
>> of those which have come from archives of this exact ng? Don't be
>> so fvcking lazy dude.

It could have been just as easy to say "Have you tried Google?" But
doing that prevents once from showing if they
are an a$$hole or not. Sometime sit is important to some people that
they demonstrate to as many people as possible
that yes, they can be an a$$hole instead of a civil person.

From: Bee on
Excelent tutorial.
You won't find that on Google (until now, on Google Groups).
Most Google posts just say don't use End.

This is why when I am confused by what i read on Google that I come here to
the real experts who care to share.
Thanks!

And I am not going to preface all my posts with, I searhed Google and ...
By now, those who really participate know that I always search first and ask
questions later.

I find that I get meaningful and expanded answers here that really help me
understand. I want to understand not just follow some rule that only applies
in the case I am questioning.
Saying don't use End leaves open many questions.
Why would MS include End if I cannot or should not use it, etc?

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Bee wrote:
> I have seen applications that use >>> End <<<.
> And I have seen many comments about NOT using End.
> So
> (1) what exactly does End do that is so bad?

Consider two ways you have to stop a car. You can step on the brakes,
or drive into a tree. Unlike most in the programming realm, this is
NOT a superficial analogy.

> (2) seen Stop too.

Stop can be useful. While you're developing! And only then. It
serves as a persistent breakpoint, in that case. Nothing more. If you
compile it, it's the telephone pole version of aforementioned tree.

> (3) how can I exit the app politely but immediately?

Back out of everything you've crawled into. Seriously, there's no way
to answer this, especially given your description of the problem. Only
you know your app's design, so only you can offer the non-tree response
to this question.

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Convert UTF-16 Unicode to UTF-8 Unicode?
Next: API-Guide