From: C. Kevin Provance on

"Nobody" <trinity(a)nobody.com> wrote in message news:OTB3hmN1KHA.260(a)TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
: It could have been just as easy to say "Have you tried Google?" But
: doing that prevents once from showing if they
: are an a$$hole or not. Sometime sit is important to some people that
: they demonstrate to as many people as possible
: that yes, they can be an a$$hole instead of a civil person.

I've made that suggestion multiple times, and it's been ignored. If you didn't read those replies from me...oh well, what can I do? I'm sure if you Google "Google is your friend in this regard", it'll come up a few times.

As as far as your opinion of me, I tend not to lend any real credibility to those who go out of their way to remain anonymous...I don't care how helpful or "knowledgeable" you are. If you want to label me, do it to me under your real name, man to man. Otherwise it's a coward move. You also should know this by now.

At least numbwits like Paul and Tom have the balls to use their name to take their swipes. What's your excuse, besides being "Nobody"?
From: mscir on
On 4/4/2010 11:19 PM, Larry Serflaten wrote:
> "C. Kevin Provance"<*@*.*> wrote
>> : I just thought I'd mention, we are all limited to some finite amount of time ...
>
>> Honestly, I don't spend much time worrying about that. People will think what they want to think.
> <...>
>> To spend time and energy worrying about what other folks think of me was time and energy wasted.
> <...>
>> There is only one person in my life who will carry my memory that I care about, and that is where I apply my time and energy,
> without making compromises. My son.
> <...>
>> Everything else is moot.
>

> I can agree to a certain extent, that we should not 'worry' about other people's opinion of us.
> OTOH, you cannot avoid developing a reputation, amonst your peers, amonst your friends,
> etc. You also may have been at this long enough to remember the RTFM posts that used to
> be a common reply to people who ask questions they could easily find an answser to. So I
> can see a precedent for your seemingly rude reply, but...
>
> I'm just saying it is within your power to encourage, and it is within your power to condemn.
> While anyone can tear down and destroy, there are too few that can inspire and maintain
> a positive change.
>
> Then there's that old adage that often turns out true; what goes around, comes around!
> Yet another reason to avoid (if at all possible) any avenue that may lead to flame wars....
>
> LFS

Well Said Larry.

Mike

From: Bob O`Bob on
Bee wrote:
> Down in the bowels of my VB6 app I need to ask the user to do something or
> "die".
> That is the way it is and I cannot change this structure.
> I have seen applications that use >>> End <<<.
> And I have seen many comments about NOT using End.
> So
> (1) what exactly does End do that is so bad?
> (2) seen Stop too.
> (3) how can I exit the app politely but immediately?
>
> How about calling a sub in a module that calls _unload in the main form?
>
> However, there may be flags set that the main form is supposed to process so
> I would have to clear all of those and not do that processing.
>
> Educate me.

Ha. Some topics just never, ever, die.

Here's a little more fuel for the "don't use it" fire,
still unchanged since some time last Century:

http://obob.com/cis58/evilend.html

It appears to still be the #1 result, if you
google "The Evil End Statement" (with quotes),
as it probably should be.

Bob
From: Helmut Meukel on
"Bob O`Bob" <filterbob(a)yahoogroups.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Ha. Some topics just never, ever, die.
>
> Here's a little more fuel for the "don't use it" fire,
> still unchanged since some time last Century:
>
> http://obob.com/cis58/evilend.html
>
> It appears to still be the #1 result, if you
> google "The Evil End Statement" (with quotes),
> as it probably should be.
>

> Bob
> --

Hmm,

there was a time when using END was required in some cases.
================================
From "Language Reference", Microsoft BASIC
Professional Programming System, 7.0:

END Statement
Action Stops a BASIC program, procedure or block.
Syntax 1 END [[{ DEF | FUNCTION | IF | SELECT | SUB | TYPE }]]
Syntax 2 END [[ n% ]]
Remarks There are a number of ways to use the END statement, as described in
the following list:

------< omitted all remarks about Syntax 1, not relevant here >------

n% Ends a program and returns the value n% to the operating system
(if n% is omitted, the value of n% is set to 0). END is not required at the end
of a program.
The value n% can be used by DOS or OS/2 batch files or by
non-BASIC programs. Untrapped errors and fat5al errors set the value of n%
to -1.

By itself, the End Statement stops programm execution and closes all files. In a
stand-alone program, END returns control to the operating system. In the QBX
environment, END returns to that environment. You can place an END statement
anywhere in the program to terminate execution.
================================

As you can see, END was not always the tree to stop the car abruptly.
BTW, the VB-DOS Language Reference contains the same remarks about END.
And the Language Reference for Visual Basic Programming System for Windows
(that's VB1) states [translated from my german edition]:

"The statement END stops program execution, closes all files, cleares the values
of all variables, and deletes all forms. ... Pay attention to END not causing a
Form_Unload event."

So between VB-DOS and VB1 we lost the n% parameter, but VB did still all
necessary clean-up.

Then there came a paradigma change. Basic was known to shield the programmer
from messy details and do it "under the hood".
Now we had to close database connections, unload all forms, set all forms to
Nothing, destroy all objects... instead of enhancing the functionality of END
to do all that for us.
END now became EVIL.

Helmut.

From: mscir on
On 4/6/2010 1:18 AM, Helmut Meukel wrote:
<snip>
> Then there came a paradigma change. Basic was known to shield the
> programmer from messy details and do it "under the hood".
> Now we had to close database connections, unload all forms, set all
> forms to Nothing, destroy all objects... instead of enhancing the functionality
> of END to do all that for us.
> END now became EVIL.
> Helmut.

Interesting post and very funny. Thanks.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Prev: Convert UTF-16 Unicode to UTF-8 Unicode?
Next: API-Guide