From: steveu on
>On Sep 9, 5:06=A0am, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> One for the guru's:
>> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
>> what would they be?
>>
>> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
>> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>>
>> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
>> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
>> start which tends to knock me off course.
>
>Adaptive Blind Signal and Image Processing by Cichocki and Amari.
>
>Good one for adaptive signal processing. Also Widrows book and Haykins
>Adaptive filter theory one.

You don't see many people recommending Haykin's book. Quite the opposite.
:-) Widrow is OK. People highly recommend Ali Sayed's books. He has video
lectures on line, but it seems his writing is a lot better than his
presenting. :-\

Steve

From: Al Clark on
Tim Wescott <tim(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote in

> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:06:13 -0700, davew wrote:
>
>> One for the guru's:
>> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
>> what would they be?
>>
>> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
>> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>>
>> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but to
>> be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the start
>> which tends to knock me off course.
>
> O & S is pretty dense, and does require some unpacking.
>
> You may want to get "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheimer (again!) and
> various other folks (who the other folks are varies by the edition --
> mine is Oppenheimer, Willsky, Young).
>
> Rick Lyons' book "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" is pretty
> good. I want math first and then an explanation of how practice flows
> from that and Rick takes the opposite tack so I don't think it's my
> favorite -- on the other hand it always seems to be close to the top of
> the pile when I go to grab a book.
>
> I don't know about a third -- most of my "advanced" knowledge comes from
> various communications and control systems efforts, either classes,
> projects or products. Book learning will only take you so far before you
> have to tamp it down with practical experience.

I would take the opposite approach from Tim,

Start with Rick Lyons' book so that you understand the big picture a little
better before tackling the math.

O&S is popular but not my favorite. I probably learned more from Rabiner &
Gold. I also like Proakis & Manolakis.

Two favorites not mentioned are Digital Signal Processing in Communications
Systems by Marvin Frerking and Multirate Signal Processing by Fred Harris,

If you decide you like DSP, I would read Streamlining Digital Signal
Processing. It's a collection of tricks, many of the contributors frequent
this group.

Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

From: Jason on
On Sep 8, 9:03 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
> >On Sep 9, 5:06=A0am, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> One for the guru's:
> >> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> >> what would they be?
>
> >> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> >> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> >> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> >> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> >> start which tends to knock me off course.
>
> >Adaptive Blind Signal and Image Processing by Cichocki and Amari.
>
> >Good one for adaptive signal processing. Also Widrows book and Haykins
> >Adaptive filter theory one.
>
> You don't see many people recommending Haykin's book. Quite the opposite.
> :-) Widrow is OK. People highly recommend Ali Sayed's books. He has video
> lectures on line, but it seems his writing is a lot better than his
> presenting. :-\
>
> Steve

I think Haykin's Adaptive Filter Theory is pretty good. Not that great
as an introductory text, as the first couple chapters are a bit
unclear, but once you get to the meat of the actual adaptive filter
material, I think it does a good job. Extremely in-depth on some
topics (like analysis of LMS convergence), but not too hard to follow
at the same time.

Jason
From: Jason on
On Sep 8, 10:26 pm, Al Clark <acl...(a)danvillesignal.com> wrote:
> Tim Wescott <t...(a)seemywebsite.com> wrote innews:M5mdnTcJf5THCDvXnZ2dnUVZ_j1i4p2d(a)web-ster.com:
>

> > On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:06:13 -0700, davew wrote:
>
> >> One for the guru's:
> >> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> >> what would they be?
>
> >> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> >> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> >> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but to
> >> be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the start
> >> which tends to knock me off course.
>
> > O & S is pretty dense, and does require some unpacking.
>
> > You may want to get "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheimer (again!) and
> > various other folks (who the other folks are varies by the edition --
> > mine is Oppenheimer, Willsky, Young).
>
> > Rick Lyons' book "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" is pretty
> > good.  I want math first and then an explanation of how practice flows
> > from that and Rick takes the opposite tack so I don't think it's my
> > favorite -- on the other hand it always seems to be close to the top of
> > the pile when I go to grab a book.
>
> > I don't know about a third -- most of my "advanced" knowledge comes from
> > various communications and control systems efforts, either classes,
> > projects or products.  Book learning will only take you so far before you
> > have to tamp it down with practical experience.
>
> I would take the opposite approach from Tim,
>
> Start with Rick Lyons' book so that you understand the big picture a little
> better before tackling the math.
>
> O&S is popular but not my favorite. I probably learned more from Rabiner &
> Gold. I also like Proakis & Manolakis.
>
> Two favorites not mentioned are Digital Signal Processing in Communications
> Systems by Marvin Frerking and Multirate Signal Processing by Fred Harris,
>
> If you decide you like DSP, I would read Streamlining Digital Signal
> Processing. It's a collection of tricks, many of the contributors frequent
> this group.
>
> Al Clark
> Danville Signal Processing, Inc.

Another classic multirate book: Multirate Digital Signal Processing by
Crochiere and Rabiner.

Jason
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

davew wrote:

> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?

http://www.dspguru.com/info/books/favor.htm

I'd add "Digital Communications" by J. Proakis to the list.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com