From: Rune Allnor on
On 16 Sep, 12:20, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:

> f=
> >rom
>
> >> Does that mean it is now no longer available?
>
> >Define 'available'. The book is no longer in stock. Only
> >stray copies are traded as 'new'. Amazon.com has a couple
> >of dozen 2nd hand copies available, and provides links
> >to a dealer that seems to have a stock of new (but possibly
> >damaged) copies, that trade for $200 each.
>
> >Including other dealers than amazon, there might be about
> >50 to 100 copies in trade world wide, most of which in the
> >2nd hand market.
>
> >Rune
>
> For some text books that might be close to the total print run :-)

Maybe. I understand US commercial and academic institustions
tend to keep rather comprehensive communal libraries. If so,
R&D print runs might well have been in mere 3 digits. Judging
from the numbers of citations to R&G, those copies would long
since be worn out, though. Besides, there aren't too many DSP
books that are issued in 3 editions. P&M, maybe Antoniou, and
that's about it. Oppenheim and Scafer write new books instead
of updating the old ones.

However, in my neck'o the woods, 'libraries' are considered to
be wasted space and $$$. If you find something that is worth
keeping, you'd better buy it yourself, for your own hard-earned
money. And keep what you buy close. I remember getting back to
my office from a long leave, only to find that my boss had lent
out various copies of my personal books. He even accused me of
stealing books when somebody couldn't find some book I had
ordered on behalf of the institute, after I had left the place.
The book was, of course, in some colleague's office.

Rune
From: Robert Orban on
I highly recommend "Handbook for Digital Signal Processing", edited by
Mitra and Kaiser. It is a group effort and the authors are outstanding.

In article <4a911c1f-0821-4c2c-ae87-
6f6fae792581(a)o9g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>, david.wooff(a)gmail.com says...

From: davew on
A lot of good suggestions - more than 20 - thanks.

Lyons, R&G, and Proakis look like good first choices. I've already
ordered a new copy of Rick's book and I'm looking forward to getting
stuck in.

I also managed to pick up a 2nd-hand copy of Signals & Systems
Oppenheim which was handy and really cheap!

From: Rick Lyons on
On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:34:10 -0700 (PDT), davew
<david.wooff(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>A lot of good suggestions - more than 20 - thanks.
>
>Lyons, R&G, and Proakis look like good first choices. I've already
>ordered a new copy of Rick's book and I'm looking forward to getting
>stuck in.
>
>I also managed to pick up a 2nd-hand copy of Signals & Systems
>Oppenheim which was handy and really cheap!

Hello davew,
please send me a private E-mail and I'll send
you a PDF file of the errata for your copy of
my DSP book.

Regards,
[-Rick-]