From: davew on
One for the guru's:
if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
what would they be?

- based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.

I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
start which tends to knock me off course.
From: Tim Wescott on
On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 10:06:13 -0700, davew wrote:

> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but to
> be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the start
> which tends to knock me off course.

O & S is pretty dense, and does require some unpacking.

You may want to get "Signals and Systems" by Oppenheimer (again!) and
various other folks (who the other folks are varies by the edition --
mine is Oppenheimer, Willsky, Young).

Rick Lyons' book "Understanding Digital Signal Processing" is pretty
good. I want math first and then an explanation of how practice flows
from that and Rick takes the opposite tack so I don't think it's my
favorite -- on the other hand it always seems to be close to the top of
the pile when I go to grab a book.

I don't know about a third -- most of my "advanced" knowledge comes from
various communications and control systems efforts, either classes,
projects or products. Book learning will only take you so far before you
have to tamp it down with practical experience.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Muzaffer Kal on
On Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:06:13 -0700 (PDT), davew <david.wooff(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>One for the guru's:
>if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
>what would they be?
>
>- based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
>to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
>I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
>to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
>start which tends to knock me off course.

My selection would be (in order of reading):

1) Linear systems and signals B.P. Lathi
2) Statistical Digital Signal Processing and modeling Monson Hayes
3) Theory & Application of Digital Signal Processing Rabiner & Gold.

--
Muzaffer Kal

DSPIA INC.
ASIC/FPGA Design Services

http://www.dspia.com
From: Rune Allnor on
On 8 Sep, 19:06, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

DSP is applied maths, so if you are put off by what you
have already seen, you might want to reconsider your
carreer choices.

Rune
From: HardySpicer on
On Sep 9, 5:06 am, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

Adaptive Blind Signal and Image Processing by Cichocki and Amari.

Good one for adaptive signal processing. Also Widrows book and Haykins
Adaptive filter theory one.