From: Dirk Bell on
On Sep 9, 11:08 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
> >On Sep 8, 1:06=A0pm, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >> One for the guru's:
> >> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> >> what would they be?
>
> >> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> >> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> >> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> >> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> >> start which tends to knock me off course.
>
> >A lot of people get hung up fairly early in O&S by the section on
> >inverting z-transforms using residues/contour integration. Skip that
> >section, chances are you will never need it.
>
> O&S was written at a time when few DSP systems were deployed, and most
> were large complex military systems. Its hardly surprising if some of the
> material seems to have a skewed balance today.
>
> Steve

I am not sure what you mean by a "skewed balance" or what the
relationship is to large complex military systems. It was one of the
first big books out on DSP. It is a more mathematical book than many
of the easy-to-read books that came along later (including one by
O&S). It was complemented at the time by the more hardware/
implementation oriented book by Rabiner and Gold.

Dirk Bell
DSP Consultant
From: steveu on

>> >A lot of people get hung up fairly early in O&S by the section on
>> >inverting z-transforms using residues/contour integration. Skip that
>> >section, chances are you will never need it.
>>
>> O&S was written at a time when few DSP systems were deployed, and most
>> were large complex military systems. Its hardly surprising if some of
the
>> material seems to have a skewed balance today.
>>
>> Steve
>
>I am not sure what you mean by a "skewed balance" or what the
>relationship is to large complex military systems. It was one of the
>first big books out on DSP. It is a more mathematical book than many
>of the easy-to-read books that came along later (including one by
>O&S). It was complemented at the time by the more hardware/
>implementation oriented book by Rabiner and Gold.

The kinds of things people do in military systems tends to be a lot
different from most non-military work. I guess that in the 70s, 90% of all
copies of O&S and Rabiner and Gold sold to people in military work, who had
not studied anything about DSP at college - because very few colleges had
begun DSP courses - and who needed to get a clue what they were doing. Its
a while since I looked at either book, but I remember once reflecting on
how the contents seemed to reflect that heritage.

Steve

From: Neu on
On Sep 8, 1:06 pm, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

I would recomend them in this order:

1)Digital Signal Processing by Proakis and Manolakis (It is
"easier" to follow the math than the O & S book)

2)Schaum's Outline of Digital Signal Processing by Hayes (DO ALL THE
PROBLES WITH SOLUTIONS. This should then get you ready for the O & S
Book)

3)Discrete Time Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer and Buck
(it one of the bibles in the field. There are some things here that
are covereed like nowhere else).
From: Dirk Bell on
On Sep 10, 8:08 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
> subject

> front

> but

> >> O&S was written at a time when few DSP systems were deployed, and most
> >> were large complex military systems. Its hardly surprising if some of
> the
> >> material seems to have a skewed balance today.
>
> >> Steve
>
> >I am not sure what you mean by a "skewed balance" or what the
> >relationship is to large complex military systems. It was one of the
> >first big books out on DSP. It is a more mathematical book than many
> >of the easy-to-read books that came along later (including one by
> >O&S).  It was complemented at the time by the more hardware/
> >implementation oriented book by Rabiner and Gold.
>
> The kinds of things people do in military systems tends to be a lot
> different from most non-military work. I guess that in the 70s, 90% of all
> copies of O&S and Rabiner and Gold sold to people in military work, who had
> not studied anything about DSP at college - because very few colleges had
> begun DSP courses - and who needed to get a clue what they were doing. Its
> a while since I looked at either book, but I remember once reflecting on
> how the contents seemed to reflect that heritage.
>
> Steve- Hide quoted text -

Having read both books in the early 80's, I didn't get that
impression.

Dirk
From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

Dirk Bell wrote:

> On Sep 10, 8:08 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
>
>>The kinds of things people do in military systems tends to be a lot
>>different from most non-military work. I guess that in the 70s, 90% of all
>>copies of O&S and Rabiner and Gold sold to people in military work, who had
>>not studied anything about DSP at college - because very few colleges had
>>begun DSP courses - and who needed to get a clue what they were doing. Its
>>a while since I looked at either book, but I remember once reflecting on
>>how the contents seemed to reflect that heritage.
>>

> Having read both books in the early 80's, I didn't get that
> impression.

I don't have Rabiner and Gold at hand right now, but IIRC it is biased
towards the radar signal processing. When they give an example of a
technique, they often mention some kind of military application. And
yes, R&G used to be a handbook of people who actually worked on radars.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com