From: joepierson on
On Sep 8, 10:06 am, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

Don't worry, it's not really a good teaching book. I was a student of
the author when that book was just a pile of class notes! Exciting
times, we couldn't wait to read every newly released DSP paper, but
the resulting book was more of a reference manual then a teaching
book. There is a lot going on in-between each line that should be
elaborated on rather then assumed. It has been "over distilled" to its
essence. And there are very few examples in it because the professor
simply didn't know of any back then! It was the very early years of
DSP .
From: Andreas Huennebeck on
davew wrote:

> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

Then this book may be of help:

Steven W. Smith: The Scientist and Engineer's Guide to Digital Signal Processing

You can download or browse the book and have a look into it
before buying:

http://dspguide.com/

bye
Andreas
--
Andreas H�nnebeck | email: acmh(a)gmx.de
----- privat ---- | www : http://www.huennebeck-online.de

From: commengr on
>One for the guru's:
>if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
>what would they be?
>
>- based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
>to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
>I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
>to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
>start which tends to knock me off course.

1) Richard Lyons' book (easy to understand, fun to read, good for intro
only if Rick would've written a text book! would be a best seller)

2) Oppenheim's book (good for depth knowledge, although other reading
material is required for field related knowledge)

3) Proakis' (may be I'm mentioning this, since it was my course book, good

but not my favorite, Dr Proakis explains to his 'level', unlike other
authors who write in way everyone (learned) can understand)

For beginners who want to learn about Matlab

4) Ifeacher's book (good for simulation of DSP concepts)
From: Dirk Bell on
On Sep 8, 1:06 pm, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> One for the guru's:
> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
> what would they be?
>
> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>
> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
> start which tends to knock me off course.

A lot of people get hung up fairly early in O&S by the section on
inverting z-transforms using residues/contour integration. Skip that
section, chances are you will never need it.

Dirk Bell
DSP Consultant
From: steveu on
>On Sep 8, 1:06=A0pm, davew <david.wo...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> One for the guru's:
>> if you had to pick your top 3 most enlightening books on the subject
>> what would they be?
>>
>> - based on the responses I intend to buy 3 of them and read from front
>> to back before I ask any more damn stupid questions.
>>
>> I already have Digital Signal Processing by Oppenheim and Schafer but
>> to be honest I find the maths a little intimidating right from the
>> start which tends to knock me off course.
>
>A lot of people get hung up fairly early in O&S by the section on
>inverting z-transforms using residues/contour integration. Skip that
>section, chances are you will never need it.

O&S was written at a time when few DSP systems were deployed, and most
were large complex military systems. Its hardly surprising if some of the
material seems to have a skewed balance today.

Steve