From: Al Clark on
Vladimir Vassilevsky <nospam(a)nowhere.com> wrote in

> Dirk Bell wrote:
>
>> On Sep 10, 8:08 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
>>
>>>The kinds of things people do in military systems tends to be a lot
>>>different from most non-military work. I guess that in the 70s, 90% of
>>>all copies of O&S and Rabiner and Gold sold to people in military work,
>>>who had not studied anything about DSP at college - because very few
>>>colleges had begun DSP courses - and who needed to get a clue what they
>>>were doing. Its a while since I looked at either book, but I remember
>>>once reflecting on how the contents seemed to reflect that heritage.
>>>

>> Having read both books in the early 80's, I didn't get that
>> impression.
>
> I don't have Rabiner and Gold at hand right now, but IIRC it is biased
> towards the radar signal processing. When they give an example of a
> technique, they often mention some kind of military application. And
> yes, R&G used to be a handbook of people who actually worked on radars.
>

> Vladimir Vassilevsky
> DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
> http://www.abvolt.com

With the exception of all the various O&S variations that have been
mentioned, I think I have every book mentioned.

I remember R&G as one of my first good books.

I think the "best" books are going to depend heavily on where you are
starting. In my case, I started as an analog engineer. I was veery good
with s-plane stuff. There were no DSP chips when I read my first DSP book.
I could do the math but I really had no idea what a digital filter would
really do.

The first big challenge for me when I started using DSP chips (first gen
DSP - NEC 7725) was that I didn't know how to translate the math to twos
complement fixed point based assembly code. I remember O&S as all math and
no bridge to real problems. This was very typical of most of the early
books. Jerry Purcell of Momentum Data Systems sent my a few pictures and
notes on a fax that really help me get started. I still use QEDesign (not
the original Fortran based DOS version) that I bought from him.

Everone has mentioned books that were mostly written as course books for
college students. I think I learned as much from the later manufacturer
books that would explain soem basics and then show the code that targeted
their particular DSPs. Analog Devices' Digital Signal Processing
Applications using the ADSP-2100 Family (Vol 1 & 2) was probably the best
example.

Today's books have more examples written in either C or Matlab. I think
this helps tie the theory and practice together. I would also suggest doing
a simple project with a real target. It doesn't need to be fancy. Even a
simple FIR filter is OK to start. Just don't copy someone's code, write it
yourself and sweat out the bugs.

Most of us that participate in this group probably forget how much we
didn't grok when we started. Our backgrounds are also very different. Some
of us like Jerry Avins (and me) are really generalists that learned some
DSP along the way. Others are algorithm guys; Robert Bristow-Johnson
probably doesn't know which end of a soldering iron to hold, but his math
and signal processing skills are enviable. I probably have learned as much
from the guys that frequent this site as I have from all the books in my
library and I have certainly learned from designing lots of products.

So the bottom line is "IT DEPENDS". It won't be three books, its at least
20 and they won't be enough either.

Al Clark
Danville Signal Processing, Inc.
-- One of the grey beards......

From: Rune Allnor on
On 12 Sep, 17:39, Al Clark <acl...(a)danvillesignal.com> wrote:

> I remember R&G as one of my first good books.

I've been actively collecting DSP books for 15 years now,
but I don't think I have even seen one copy of R&G. I saw
a copy of one of the classics I haven't been able to find,
in the bookshelf of one of the engineers with a former
employer of mine. It could have been Rabiner & Gold, or it
could have been something with Rabiner with co-author.

Whatever it was I saw: The Rabiner and Gold book has not
been avalable for at least a couple of decades, already.

> I think the "best" books are going to depend heavily on where you are
> starting.

Agreed.

> Today's books have more examples written in either C or Matlab. I think
> this helps tie the theory and practice together. I would also suggest doing
> a simple project with a real target. It doesn't need to be fancy. Even a
> simple FIR filter is OK to start. Just don't copy someone's code, write it
> yourself and sweat out the bugs.

Agreed. If I were to design a course for DSP, I would include
programming excercises in something else than matlab for just
about everything:

- The FFT
- IIR Filter designs
- Window FIR filter design
- Parks-McClellan filter design

These kinds of problems don't require much more than basic
programming skills, and knowledge of the task at hand.

Once you get to stuff like MUSIC and ESPRIT, you need a linear
algebra library, so for these problems wone would need matlab.
I don't know too much about adaptive filters - maybe they can
be implemented without optimization libraries; maybe not.

The key is to start doing hands-on work and develop e.g.
filter design routines you will use later. The FFTs are
good for pedagogic purposes - once you have implemented
crude versions yourself, you appreciate the time and
effort spent by those who implemented e.g. FFTW.

> Most of us that participate in this group probably forget how much we
> didn't grok when we started.

Well - I didn't. Forget what I did *not* do.

I had the (mis)fortune to do a lot of R&D work on various
algorithms myself - find published algorithms, implement
them, test them, compare them. All this was done in the
context of a PhD scholarship, but I always maintained that
my degree was irrelevant, because I did not do anything else
than I expect any engineer to do: Research alternatives,
implement, test, verify and evaluate them.

My problem was, of course, that I came from a background
where that way of work was second nature to people. No one
in the universities or R&D institutions I have ever been
in touch with, work that way.

In retrospect, I should have been at the level I ended up
after the PhD at least 4 years earlier, if the people whose
job it was to prepare us students for our crafts had done
their jobs. Or known anything about what people outside
academia actually do and how they work.

If somebody really wants to help, then one needs to know
exactly how and why one self was screwed by those whose
job it was to tutor, and try and do better. So if somebody
urges that 'you need to look into this', the reason is that
one knows why it is improtant: Either because of the benefit
one self had from looking into the problem. Or because of
the problems one encountered from not knowing enough.

'Teaching' is as much about avoid repeating mistakes as
it is about replicating successes.

Rune
From: steveu on

>Dirk Bell wrote:
>
>> On Sep 10, 8:08 pm, "steveu" <ste...(a)coppice.org> wrote:
>>
>>>The kinds of things people do in military systems tends to be a lot
>>>different from most non-military work. I guess that in the 70s, 90% of
all
>>>copies of O&S and Rabiner and Gold sold to people in military work, who
had
>>>not studied anything about DSP at college - because very few colleges
had
>>>begun DSP courses - and who needed to get a clue what they were doing.
Its
>>>a while since I looked at either book, but I remember once reflecting
on
>>>how the contents seemed to reflect that heritage.
>>>

>> Having read both books in the early 80's, I didn't get that
>> impression.
>
>I don't have Rabiner and Gold at hand right now, but IIRC it is biased
>towards the radar signal processing. When they give an example of a
>technique, they often mention some kind of military application. And
>yes, R&G used to be a handbook of people who actually worked on radars.

Ah, those were the days. With Rabiner and Gold in one hand, and Skolnick
in the other, we fought the evils of communism. :-)

Steve

From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

steveu wrote:

>>I don't have Rabiner and Gold at hand right now, but IIRC it is biased
>>towards the radar signal processing. When they give an example of a
>>technique, they often mention some kind of military application. And
>>yes, R&G used to be a handbook of people who actually worked on radars.
>

> Ah, those were the days. With Rabiner and Gold in one hand, and Skolnick
> in the other, we fought the evils of communism. :-)

Don't know what Skolnick is, however we defended the glorious teachings
of Lenin using the Russian translations of R&G and the AOE of Horowitz
and Hill. That was all because of those belligerent books. The
originator of the thread could very well be a warrior of Allah...

VLV
From: Richard Owlett on
steveu wrote:

>> Dirk Bell wrote:

> all
> had
> had
> Its
> on
>>>>
>>> Having read both books in the early 80's, I didn't get that
>>> impression.
>> I don't have Rabiner and Gold at hand right now, but IIRC it is biased
>> towards the radar signal processing. When they give an example of a
>> technique, they often mention some kind of military application. And
>> yes, R&G used to be a handbook of people who actually worked on radars.
>
> Ah, those were the days. With Rabiner and Gold in one hand, and Skolnick
> in the other, we fought the evils of communism. :-)
>
> Steve

IIRC NORAD radar system once reported massive incoming missile
attack from "nowhere" (or more definitively 'no place')

OOOPS, moon rise

Later blamed on "computer error" related to anomalous return time
of echoes.
Might it have more with moving from a 'continuous' to 'discrete'
domain?
IE aliasing problem?