From: Lanky on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:44:37 GMT, "relic" <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net>
wrote:

>Lanky wrote:
>> Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS
>> upgrade pack. Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine
>> for the upgrade. I don't have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled
>> on the Gateway and I only have a recovery disc so I can't do a new
>> install of XP.
>> The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files
>> 60 or 70% complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black
>> and a reboot starts. A message shows giving the option to reboot from
>> disc, if I take that option it asks for the WinMe disc which I don't
>> have, not taking that option starts a HD scan then boots WinMe which
>> them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting only *statemgr,
>> same thing happens.
>> Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating
>> experience?
>
>I can explain what to do step-by-step, but your ME will be gone completely
>doing it my way (XP should be a clean install when you're going from a
>Windows 9x base to the NT base). That would make it impossible for you to
>install it in the future using an upgrade XP CD. Do you have, or can you get
>a copy of a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME CD? (You wouldn't need the Key, just the
>CD.)

I have all my stuff backed up on my laptop running on XP so I would
prefer a clean install but didn't think I could do that without an Me
disc. I have a Windows 95 disc from way back, will that really work??

From: relic on
Lanky wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:44:37 GMT, "relic"
> <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:
>
>> Lanky wrote:
>>> Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS
>>> upgrade pack. Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine
>>> for the upgrade. I don't have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled
>>> on the Gateway and I only have a recovery disc so I can't do a new
>>> install of XP.
>>> The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files
>>> 60 or 70% complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black
>>> and a reboot starts. A message shows giving the option to reboot
>>> from disc, if I take that option it asks for the WinMe disc which I
>>> don't have, not taking that option starts a HD scan then boots
>>> WinMe which them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting only
>>> *statemgr, same thing happens.
>>> Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating
>>> experience?
>>
>> I can explain what to do step-by-step, but your ME will be gone
>> completely doing it my way (XP should be a clean install when you're
>> going from a Windows 9x base to the NT base). That would make it
>> impossible for you to install it in the future using an upgrade XP
>> CD. Do you have, or can you get a copy of a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME
>> CD? (You wouldn't need the Key, just the CD.)
>>
> I have all my stuff backed up on my laptop running on XP so I would
> prefer a clean install but didn't think I could do that without an Me
> disc. I have a Windows 95 disc from way back, will that really work??

Yes. It's not documented at Microsoft.com, but a Windows 95 CD will satisfy
the "Proof of a Qualifying Product." You can delete all the partitions and
start over if you want. If you boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts
for an Installation, just after you have to hit F8 to accept the EULA, you
will get the Delete/Create Partitions option at the bottom when you select
the drive to install XP onto. You can delete everything there, then create a
new partiton... it will format it before continueing the installation. Any
other Partitioning and Formatting you want to do can be done while running
XP using its Disk Management.

Note: XP will not create a FAT32 Partition greater than 32GB. It can use any
size, it just won't create one. Decide ahead if you want NTFS (recommended),
I don't like to convert from FAT32 later.

From: Lanky on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:24:52 -0400, James L. Liles
<altwindowsxp(a)jlilest.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:18:57 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
>wrote:
>
>:->Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS upgrade pack.
>:->Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine for the upgrade. I don't
>:->have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled on the Gateway and I only have a
>:->recovery disc so I can't do a new install of XP.
>:->The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files 60 or 70%
>:->complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black and a reboot starts.
>:->A message shows giving the option to reboot from disc, if I take that option it
>:->asks for the WinMe disc which I don't have, not taking that option starts a HD
>:->scan then boots WinMe which them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting
>:->only *statemgr, same thing happens.
>:->Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating experience?
>
>It is my understanding that the official way to upgrade such a system
>is to get XP from the computer maker.
>
>A work around might be to use a windows ME disk from another computer.

If your understanding is correct, and it might well be, why do MS sell
these Windows XP upgrade discs?
From: James L. Liles on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:49:54 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
wrote:

:->On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:24:52 -0400, James L. Liles
:-><altwindowsxp(a)jlilest.com> wrote:
:->
:->>On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:18:57 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
:->>wrote:
:->>
[...]

For those that buy windows in a retail store.
I have a full retail copy here that I bought when my laptop hard drive
died and I could not initially find the XP CD that came with it. I
installed it in an old desktop that was running windows 98.

In looking at the Gateway site, the windows upgrades are at least
priced like the retail versions.
From: Lanky on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:33:14 GMT, "relic" <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>Lanky wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:44:37 GMT, "relic"
>> <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>>> I can explain what to do step-by-step, but your ME will be gone
>>> completely doing it my way (XP should be a clean install when you're
>>> going from a Windows 9x base to the NT base). That would make it
>>> impossible for you to install it in the future using an upgrade XP
>>> CD. Do you have, or can you get a copy of a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME
>>> CD? (You wouldn't need the Key, just the CD.)
>>>
>> I have all my stuff backed up on my laptop running on XP so I would
>> prefer a clean install but didn't think I could do that without an Me
>> disc. I have a Windows 95 disc from way back, will that really work??
>
>Yes. It's not documented at Microsoft.com, but a Windows 95 CD will satisfy
>the "Proof of a Qualifying Product." You can delete all the partitions and
>start over if you want. If you boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts
>for an Installation, just after you have to hit F8 to accept the EULA, you
>will get the Delete/Create Partitions option at the bottom when you select
>the drive to install XP onto. You can delete everything there, then create a
>new partiton... it will format it before continueing the installation. Any
>other Partitioning and Formatting you want to do can be done while running
>XP using its Disk Management.
>
>Note: XP will not create a FAT32 Partition greater than 32GB. It can use any
>size, it just won't create one. Decide ahead if you want NTFS (recommended),
>I don't like to convert from FAT32 later.

Thank you very much for your help. I don't know what to take into consideration
in deciding whether to go FAT32 or NTFS so I'll accept the recommendation to go
with the later.
I'll let you know how I get on, though if it works you will probably hear me
cheering!!