From: Lanky on
Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS upgrade pack.
Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine for the upgrade. I don't
have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled on the Gateway and I only have a
recovery disc so I can't do a new install of XP.
The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files 60 or 70%
complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black and a reboot starts.
A message shows giving the option to reboot from disc, if I take that option it
asks for the WinMe disc which I don't have, not taking that option starts a HD
scan then boots WinMe which them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting
only *statemgr, same thing happens.
Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating experience?
From: James L. Liles on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:18:57 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
wrote:

:->Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS upgrade pack.
:->Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine for the upgrade. I don't
:->have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled on the Gateway and I only have a
:->recovery disc so I can't do a new install of XP.
:->The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files 60 or 70%
:->complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black and a reboot starts.
:->A message shows giving the option to reboot from disc, if I take that option it
:->asks for the WinMe disc which I don't have, not taking that option starts a HD
:->scan then boots WinMe which them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting
:->only *statemgr, same thing happens.
:->Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating experience?

It is my understanding that the official way to upgrade such a system
is to get XP from the computer maker.

A work around might be to use a windows ME disk from another computer.
From: jaster on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:18:57 +0100, Lanky thoughtfully wrote:

> Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS upgrade
> pack. Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine for the
> upgrade. I don't have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled on the
> Gateway and I only have a recovery disc so I can't do a new install of XP.
> The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files 60 or
> 70% complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black and a
> reboot starts. A message shows giving the option to reboot from disc, if I
> take that option it asks for the WinMe disc which I don't have, not taking
> that option starts a HD scan then boots WinMe which them runs normally.
> I've tried msconfig selecting only *statemgr, same thing happens.
> Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating
> experience?

Could the problem be that you're using an XP upgrade CD instead of full
XP CD? You've got an upgrad CD instead of whatever MS calls the complete
XP?

First, you backup all your data and non-ME programs so you don't
lose important data. I wouldn't use WinME's backup but something like
Nero Backit that will work under ME or XP. Test the backups to make sure
it has your data and you can restore from the backups. Don't bother with
Windows ME programs and files, but definitely your important data files
and one of kind programs.

Then you can do a new installation of XP but don't select format partitions, ie, keep the
existing partitions and data. That should install XP but keep the original
data. You may keep ME with XP but default the boot to XP. Keep the ME
until you're sure every thing is working properly.
From: relic on
Lanky wrote:
> Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS
> upgrade pack. Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine
> for the upgrade. I don't have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled
> on the Gateway and I only have a recovery disc so I can't do a new
> install of XP.
> The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files
> 60 or 70% complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black
> and a reboot starts. A message shows giving the option to reboot from
> disc, if I take that option it asks for the WinMe disc which I don't
> have, not taking that option starts a HD scan then boots WinMe which
> them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting only *statemgr,
> same thing happens.
> Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating
> experience?

I can explain what to do step-by-step, but your ME will be gone completely
doing it my way (XP should be a clean install when you're going from a
Windows 9x base to the NT base). That would make it impossible for you to
install it in the future using an upgrade XP CD. Do you have, or can you get
a copy of a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME CD? (You wouldn't need the Key, just the
CD.)

From: keith_nuttle on
Two things.

1) As I understand you have one 20g hard drive and one 100g hard drive.
If you are placing XP on the 20g and have a lot of files on it there
may not be sufficient space for the operating system. I have many
pictures from my digital camera and after installing XP there is very
little free space.

2) Did XP install itself into a partitions on one of the drives that is
two small? Again there may not be sufficient space in the partitions
for the install.