From: Lanky on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:49:17 -0400, James L. Liles <altwindowsxp(a)jlilest.com>
wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 23:49:54 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
>wrote:
>
>:->On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 15:24:52 -0400, James L. Liles
>:-><altwindowsxp(a)jlilest.com> wrote:
>:->
>:->>On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 19:18:57 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
>:->>wrote:
>:->>
>:->>:->Trying to upgrade from Windows Me to XP Home Edition using the MS upgrade pack.
>:->>:->Gateway computer 512Ram 20G + 100G HD should be fine for the upgrade. I don't
>:->>:->have the disc for WinMe it was preinstalled on the Gateway and I only have a
>:->>:->recovery disc so I can't do a new install of XP.
>:->>:->The upgrade loads up to the point of copying the installation files 60 or 70%
>:->>:->complete ready to install then, then the screen goes black and a reboot starts.
>:->>:->A message shows giving the option to reboot from disc, if I take that option it
>:->>:->asks for the WinMe disc which I don't have, not taking that option starts a HD
>:->>:->scan then boots WinMe which them runs normally. I've tried msconfig selecting
>:->>:->only *statemgr, same thing happens.
>:->>:->Any ideas before I phone MS Help which is sure to be frustrating experience?
>:->>
>:->>It is my understanding that the official way to upgrade such a system
>:->>is to get XP from the computer maker.
>:->>
>:->>A work around might be to use a windows ME disk from another computer.
>:->
>:->If your understanding is correct, and it might well be, why do MS sell
>:->these Windows XP upgrade discs?
>
>For those that buy windows in a retail store.
>I have a full retail copy here that I bought when my laptop hard drive
>died and I could not initially find the XP CD that came with it. I
>installed it in an old desktop that was running windows 98.
>
>In looking at the Gateway site, the windows upgrades are at least
>priced like the retail versions.

Gateway Computers closed down their UK operation quite shortly after I bought my
desktop and now don't even recognise the serial number of my machine! They don't
ship anything outside the USA anymore. Gateway are not my favourite makers, but
fortunately they do make good machines and mine has been trouble free.
From: Lanky on
On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:33:14 GMT, "relic" <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>Lanky wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 20:44:37 GMT, "relic"
>> <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>>> I can explain what to do step-by-step, but your ME will be gone
>>> completely doing it my way (XP should be a clean install when you're
>>> going from a Windows 9x base to the NT base). That would make it
>>> impossible for you to install it in the future using an upgrade XP
>>> CD. Do you have, or can you get a copy of a Windows 95/98/98SE/ME
>>> CD? (You wouldn't need the Key, just the CD.)
>>>
>> I have all my stuff backed up on my laptop running on XP so I would
>> prefer a clean install but didn't think I could do that without an Me
>> disc. I have a Windows 95 disc from way back, will that really work??
>
>Yes. It's not documented at Microsoft.com, but a Windows 95 CD will satisfy
>the "Proof of a Qualifying Product." You can delete all the partitions and
>start over if you want. If you boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts
>for an Installation, just after you have to hit F8 to accept the EULA, you
>will get the Delete/Create Partitions option at the bottom when you select
>the drive to install XP onto. You can delete everything there, then create a
>new partiton... it will format it before continueing the installation. Any
>other Partitioning and Formatting you want to do can be done while running
>XP using its Disk Management.
>
>Note: XP will not create a FAT32 Partition greater than 32GB. It can use any
>size, it just won't create one. Decide ahead if you want NTFS (recommended),
>I don't like to convert from FAT32 later.

The Windows 95 disc worked fine and booting for the XP upgrade disc began
formatting for NTFS then the following blue screen came up:
"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to
your computer.PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED -AREA.
If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your
computer. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software
manufacturer for any windows updates you might need
If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options and then select safe mode.

Tech info:
***STOP: 0XO0000050
(OXF2120054, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)"

Thinking it could be the additional 100G HD I had installed a while back, I
disconnected that and tried again with the same result, except that the Tech Inf
change to

(OXF2525494, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)

I am now well out of my depth with this and have no idea how to proceed.
Pressing F8 doesn't offer Advance startup options and disabling anything to do
with the BIOS sounds scary.
From: Lanky on
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:56:56 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:33:14 GMT, "relic" <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:
>
>>Lanky wrote:

>>> I have all my stuff backed up on my laptop running on XP so I would
>>> prefer a clean install but didn't think I could do that without an Me
>>> disc. I have a Windows 95 disc from way back, will that really work??
>>
>>Yes. It's not documented at Microsoft.com, but a Windows 95 CD will satisfy
>>the "Proof of a Qualifying Product." You can delete all the partitions and
>>start over if you want. If you boot from the XP CD and follow the prompts
>>for an Installation, just after you have to hit F8 to accept the EULA, you
>>will get the Delete/Create Partitions option at the bottom when you select
>>the drive to install XP onto. You can delete everything there, then create a
>>new partiton... it will format it before continueing the installation. Any
>>other Partitioning and Formatting you want to do can be done while running
>>XP using its Disk Management.
>>
>>Note: XP will not create a FAT32 Partition greater than 32GB. It can use any
>>size, it just won't create one. Decide ahead if you want NTFS (recommended),
>>I don't like to convert from FAT32 later.
>>
>The Windows 95 disc worked fine and booting for the XP upgrade disc began
>formatting for NTFS then the following blue screen came up:
>"A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to
>your computer.PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED -AREA.
>If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your
>computer. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or software
>manufacturer for any windows updates you might need
>If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software.
>Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
>If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your
>computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options and then select safe mode.
>
>Tech info:
>***STOP: 0XO0000050
>(OXF2120054, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)"
>
>Thinking it could be the additional 100G HD I had installed a while back, I
>disconnected that and tried again with the same result, except that the Tech Inf
>change to
>
>(OXF2525494, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)
>
>I am now well out of my depth with this and have no idea how to proceed.
>Pressing F8 doesn't offer Advance startup options and disabling anything to do
>with the BIOS sounds scary.

Gave it one more go. This time it completed the formatting of the 20G HD (the
100G one still unplugged) started copying files, when 51% complete the blue
screen returned. This time the Tech Info reads "0XF000EEFB,OXOOOOOOOO,
0X80818B20, 0X00000000)
Surely XP doesn't need the whole of a 20G HD does it? The 20G is the master and
the 100G the slave, would changing them around help, if I could find out how to
do it?
From: relic on
Lanky wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:56:56 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2006 22:33:14 GMT, "relic"
>> <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>>> Yes. It's not documented at Microsoft.com, but a Windows 95 CD will
>>> satisfy the "Proof of a Qualifying Product." You can delete all the
>>> partitions and start over if you want. If you boot from the XP CD
>>> and follow the prompts for an Installation, just after you have to
>>> hit F8 to accept the EULA, you will get the Delete/Create
>>> Partitions option at the bottom when you select the drive to
>>> install XP onto. You can delete everything there, then create a new
>>> partiton... it will format it before continueing the installation.
>>> Any other Partitioning and Formatting you want to do can be done
>>> while running XP using its Disk Management.
>>>
>>> Note: XP will not create a FAT32 Partition greater than 32GB. It
>>> can use any size, it just won't create one. Decide ahead if you
>>> want NTFS (recommended), I don't like to convert from FAT32 later.
>>>
>> The Windows 95 disc worked fine and booting for the XP upgrade disc
>> began formatting for NTFS then the following blue screen came up:
>> "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
>> prevent damage to your computer.PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED -AREA.
>> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart
>> your computer. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or
>> software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need
>> If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware
>> or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or
>> shadowing.
>> If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components,
>> restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options
>> and then select safe mode.
>>
>> Tech info:
>> ***STOP: 0XO0000050
>> (OXF2120054, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)"
>>
>> Thinking it could be the additional 100G HD I had installed a while
>> back, I disconnected that and tried again with the same result,
>> except that the Tech Inf change to
>>
>> (OXF2525494, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)
>>
>> I am now well out of my depth with this and have no idea how to
>> proceed. Pressing F8 doesn't offer Advance startup options and
>> disabling anything to do with the BIOS sounds scary.
>
> Gave it one more go. This time it completed the formatting of the 20G
> HD (the 100G one still unplugged) started copying files, when 51%
> complete the blue screen returned. This time the Tech Info reads
> "0XF000EEFB,OXOOOOOOOO, 0X80818B20, 0X00000000)
> Surely XP doesn't need the whole of a 20G HD does it? The 20G is the
> master and the 100G the slave, would changing them around help, if I
> could find out how to do it?

There's a chance you'll have to update your motherboard BIOS.

Remove all extra components except your HDD and Video Card... Sound Cards,
etc. then install. The removed cards can be installed later. A fairly common
cause of STOP 0x50 is an IRQ Conflict with the Sound Card and another
device. (Even on-board sound device can conflict with something else. Sound
Cards seem to only get along with USB sharing of IRQs.)

XP needs 5~10GB of disk space (<5 when installed, but it will grow).

Do you know your motherboard manufacturer? I know some Gateway machines used
Intel motherboards... or just list the model number and I'll look around.

From: Lanky on
On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:10:01 GMT, "relic" <mailbounce(a)relic211.cjb.net> wrote:

>Lanky wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 14:56:56 +0100, Lanky <Lanky(a)behindbikeshed.com>
>> wrote:

>>> The Windows 95 disc worked fine and booting for the XP upgrade disc
>>> began formatting for NTFS then the following blue screen came up:
>>> "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to
>>> prevent damage to your computer.PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED -AREA.
>>> If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart
>>> your computer. If this is a new installation ask your hardware or
>>> software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need
>>> If problems continue disable or remove any newly installed hardware
>>> or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or
>>> shadowing.
>>> If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components,
>>> restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options
>>> and then select safe mode.
>>>
>>> Tech info:
>>> ***STOP: 0XO0000050
>>> (OXF2120054, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)"
>>>
>>> Thinking it could be the additional 100G HD I had installed a while
>>> back, I disconnected that and tried again with the same result,
>>> except that the Tech Inf change to
>>>
>>> (OXF2525494, 0X00000000,0X00000000,0X000000000)
>>>
>>> I am now well out of my depth with this and have no idea how to
>>> proceed. Pressing F8 doesn't offer Advance startup options and
>>> disabling anything to do with the BIOS sounds scary.
>>
>> Gave it one more go. This time it completed the formatting of the 20G
>> HD (the 100G one still unplugged) started copying files, when 51%
>> complete the blue screen returned. This time the Tech Info reads
>> "0XF000EEFB,OXOOOOOOOO, 0X80818B20, 0X00000000)
>> Surely XP doesn't need the whole of a 20G HD does it? The 20G is the
>> master and the 100G the slave, would changing them around help, if I
>> could find out how to do it?
>
>There's a chance you'll have to update your motherboard BIOS.
>
>Remove all extra components except your HDD and Video Card... Sound Cards,
>etc. then install. The removed cards can be installed later. A fairly common
>cause of STOP 0x50 is an IRQ Conflict with the Sound Card and another
>device. (Even on-board sound device can conflict with something else. Sound
>Cards seem to only get along with USB sharing of IRQs.)
>
>XP needs 5~10GB of disk space (<5 when installed, but it will grow).
>
>Do you know your motherboard manufacturer? I know some Gateway machines used
>Intel motherboards... or just list the model number and I'll look around.

933 PERFORMANCE SYSTEM UK
Processor INTEL PENTIUM III 933MHZ PROCESSOR
MEMORY 128MB 133MHZ SDRAM MEMORY (1 X 128MB) INCREASED TO 2 X 256MB
VIDEO CARD 32MB NVIDIA M64 TNT-24X AGP GRAPHICS CARD
HARD DRIVE 20GB HARD DRIVE
SOUNDCARD CREATIVE LABS 1373 DIGITAL SOUNDCARD

Model No. ATX8TF FED933
Mfg date 21/03/01
Serial No 0001874111
Assembled in Ireland.