From: Kevin on
One other question.

Is there a way of turning off the sounds used by SQL Master, without
turning off the speakers? As I cannot create a connection I cannot see
if there is a setting there.

Kevin

From: Geoff Schaller on
Kevin,

> 2. Click New to create a new connection
> 3. On the Data Link Properties select the Connection tab.

What provider did you choose? You MUST select the OLEDB provider for SQL
Server. Nothing else will work of course.

> 4. Select the Data source name, for example Kevin.

I doubt this is correct. Did you create a named instance? Or is that
your machine name?

> 5. Type in the User Name (SQL Server Express is set for NT
> Authentication).

Wrong. If your server instance accepts Windows Authentication then you
MUST NOT supply a user name but if it allows mixed mode then you must
supply a user name and password AND TICK the box to remember it.

> 6. Select the Initial Catalog, for example Kevin.

Now, ignoring all the above, if you have a successful connection you can
drop the arrow down and it will show you all the databases to which you
have access. If none show then there is something wrong.

> 7. Click Test Connection, success

I don't know which provider you used. For some providers this button
always shows success because it is largely meaningless.
..
> 8. Click OK
> 9. I get a prompt titled "Missing Master Database" with the message:
> Kevi Database not found on Server. Create Empty Database?

You didn't get a successful connection

> Clicking No returns to the empty Connection List with message:
> Connection opened but I could not locate the database named Kevi

Well that I expect, given what you've said above.

> 10. Clicking Yes, gives some activity and then an error message:
> CreateTableComplete - adErrFeatureNotAvailable
> On: SPSTATUS

Correct - either the connection doesn't work or you do not have
appropriate rights.

> 11. I then get a VO Kid Stack Size limit exceeded on
> SVrSHOWMESSAGE:DESTROY(), line 0
> 12. Clicking OK closes SQL Master.

Yes well, we are both in uncharted territory now...

> If it is of any significance, the ODBC connection is a User DSN using
> the SQL Native Client Driver.
> Is there something I am missing, not understanding or doing incorrectly?

Yep - the provider. PLEASE READ MY HELP FILE.

Cheers,

Geoff

From: Geoff Schaller on
Yes - go to its CFG file and set DisableSounds=YES

You can also set DisableAllSounds=YES if that doesn't stop enough of
them. The config file will be located at:

C:\Users\GSchaller\AppData\Roaming\SQLMaster

(in Vista or W7 - or the equivalent location otherwise)

Geoff

From: Kevin on
Geoff,

Thanks for your replies.

I was using the wrong driver as you suggested. As I could connect using
the VO2ADO sample with the User DSN I had created I thought it would
work the same way in SQL Master using the same selections.

Selecting the OLEDB provider solved the problem.

You mention at the end of your reply to read the help. I would if I
could find it. Selecting Contents on the Help menu gives nothing.
Selecting Index expands/collapses the selected branch, if appropriate,
in the left hand side. I cannot find any help file in the program files
folder or the Roaming folder you mentioned in your reply to my other
post.

The build info, from Help \ About is:
Version 2.2.3
Build 0
Build Date: 30/06/2009

Running the Update utility reports no new version and I downloaded this
yesterday.

Kevin

From: Geoff Schaller on
Maybe it wasn't in that install.

http://www.softwareobjectives.com.au/downloads/sqlmaster/sqlmaster.chm

For some reason my downloads page on the website has taken a siesta...