From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 17:55:11 +0100, "Bo Persson" <bop(a)gmb.dk> wrote:

>Cmplx80 wrote:
>> Ajay Kalra wrote:

>>> Comments about the product in this NG havent been that glorifying
>>> though. I
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ajay
>>>

>> Biggest (VS2010 RC) complaint here is that the documentation/help
>> system has been rendered 100% useless by moving it from an
>> integrated function to a goofy and magnanimously dysfunctional
>> browser-based scheme. No index, no filters (that I can find), new
>> browser page tabs becoming lost in a sea of other browser page
>> tabs, missing pieces, dot, dot, dot. How does this happen? Who is
>> responsible for letting stuff like this hit the shipping dock?

****
Sadly, nobody seemed to be paying attention to the user interface. It is possibly the
WORST help interface EVER in the history of help interfaces, being even WORSE than the VBA
"help" that appears in the Office Automation parts of Office. In its current form, it is
more properly labeled a "hindrance".

We can only hope that this will be fixed ASAP. What I see is not even vaguely construable
as useful even under the worst possible desperation.

<sillyconjecture>
The design of the online help suggests that its purpose is to promote the sale of hardcopy
MFC documentation, since it is even less usable than a hardcopy reference manual. At least
hardcopy reference manuals have an index!
</sillyconjecture>
joe
****

>Fortunately Google has indexed the pages, so - just like before - you
>can find the MSDN pages much faster than the local help info.
>

>Bo Persson

Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com
From: Cmplx80 on
Bo Persson wrote:
> Cmplx80 wrote:
>> Ajay Kalra wrote:

>>> Comments about the product in this NG havent been that glorifying
>>> though. I
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ajay
>>>

>> Biggest (VS2010 RC) complaint here is that the documentation/help
>> system has been rendered 100% useless by moving it from an
>> integrated function to a goofy and magnanimously dysfunctional
>> browser-based scheme. No index, no filters (that I can find), new
>> browser page tabs becoming lost in a sea of other browser page
>> tabs, missing pieces, dot, dot, dot. How does this happen? Who is
>> responsible for letting stuff like this hit the shipping dock?
>>

> Fortunately Google has indexed the pages, so - just like before - you
> can find the MSDN pages much faster than the local help info.
>

> Bo Persson

I prefer offline help. Big drives = putting stuff on my system.
There is a program, "H3Viewer" than runs on top of the existing help
files and is an improvement, but the underpinnings are still browser
based and (IMHO) although a valiant effort, still has a klunky feel.

Frank
From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
See below...
On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:02:24 -0600, Cmplx80 <Cmplx80(a)Karma.com> wrote:

>Bo Persson wrote:
>> Cmplx80 wrote:

>>> Biggest (VS2010 RC) complaint here is that the documentation/help
>>> system has been rendered 100% useless by moving it from an
>>> integrated function to a goofy and magnanimously dysfunctional
>>> browser-based scheme. No index, no filters (that I can find), new
>>> browser page tabs becoming lost in a sea of other browser page
>>> tabs, missing pieces, dot, dot, dot. How does this happen? Who is
>>> responsible for letting stuff like this hit the shipping dock?
>>>

>> Fortunately Google has indexed the pages, so - just like before - you
>> can find the MSDN pages much faster than the local help info.
>>

>> Bo Persson
>>

>I prefer offline help. Big drives = putting stuff on my system.
>There is a program, "H3Viewer" than runs on top of the existing help
>files and is an improvement, but the underpinnings are still browser
>based and (IMHO) although a valiant effort, still has a klunky feel.
>
>Frank
****
As I have pointed out repeatedly, the reality distortion field that convinces people that
end users have 24/7 broadband access to help is a serious impediment in the design
process. I spend most of my flying time (and I fly at least once a month, more than half
of those flights are > 4 hours, and I rarely have Internet access at my work sites, a week
at a time). The correct model is to ASSUME offline capabilities are required, and in the
fortunate condition where online access is possible, that's cool, but it should not be the
base model for help systems.
joe
****
From: Cmplx80 on
Joseph M. Newcomer wrote:
> See below...
> On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 15:02:24 -0600, Cmplx80 <Cmplx80(a)Karma.com> wrote:
>
>> Bo Persson wrote:

>>> Fortunately Google has indexed the pages, so - just like before - you
>>> can find the MSDN pages much faster than the local help info.
>>>

>>> Bo Persson
>>>

>> I prefer offline help. Big drives = putting stuff on my system.
>> There is a program, "H3Viewer" than runs on top of the existing help
>> files and is an improvement, but the underpinnings are still browser
>> based and (IMHO) although a valiant effort, still has a klunky feel.
>>
>> Frank
> ****
> As I have pointed out repeatedly, the reality distortion field that convinces people that
> end users have 24/7 broadband access to help is a serious impediment in the design
> process. I spend most of my flying time (and I fly at least once a month, more than half
> of those flights are > 4 hours, and I rarely have Internet access at my work sites, a week
> at a time). The correct model is to ASSUME offline capabilities are required, and in the
> fortunate condition where online access is possible, that's cool, but it should not be the
> base model for help systems.
> joe
> ****
> Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
> email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
> Web: http://www.flounder.com

And when Charter Pipeline (they should be required to put an asterisk by
that word) is your ISP, you might as well be in that moving aluminum
tube at 30,000 ft., as far connection integrity goes.

I think my favorite help fiasco is when help topic shows as "local" and
it can't be found anywhere. This is just broken stuff in so many ways.

Frank
From: Hector Santos on
Cmplx80 wrote:

> I think my favorite help fiasco is when help topic shows as "local" and
> it can't be found anywhere. This is just broken stuff in so many ways.

I can't stand it.

I heard a rumor that MS went back to the *.CHM help for MSDN? True,
False or half true?

--
HLS
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last