From: David Ching on
"Hector Santos" <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote in message
> I can't stand it.
>
> I heard a rumor that MS went back to the *.CHM help for MSDN? True, False
> or half true?

Would that it were true! I think the DDK or something like that now has
..chm files which I read someone broke down and cried when he saw that.

-- David

From: Cmplx80 on
Hector Santos wrote:
> Cmplx80 wrote:
>

>> I think my favorite help fiasco is when help topic shows as "local"
>> and it can't be found anywhere. This is just broken stuff in so many
>> ways.
>>

> I can't stand it.
>
> I heard a rumor that MS went back to the *.CHM help for MSDN? True,
> False or half true?

I know a lot of this is simply personal preference, but I have no love
for .chm as a help/documentation engine. It's okay for just linear
reading, but often, my searches for info in .chm docs become
multi-pathed, convoluted processes of clicking, viewing lists, clicking,
ad infinitum. I usually just give up and google it if I'm online.

For flying through documentation, dexplorer's content, filter, index,
and search features are about as good as it gets...for me, that is.

Frank
From: Hector Santos on
So basically, the new era of the Microsoft software development
requires an internet connection?

All I need 80-90% of the time is a F1 Help on the cursored/highlighted
function like the old way - what was wrong with that? Hypertext
functionality could be as good too - and was.

Makes you wonder how we got this far. :)

Anyway, right now it is broken. I had to use my V6 MSDN help on the
machine next to me and if I need something more deep or a "how to do"
then I google, but as a quick reference, F1 dynamic help was very
productive IMO.

Thanks

--

--
HLS
From: Alexander Grigoriev on
Don't know, but MSDN search works faster than local. Google is even faster,
though.

From: Joseph M. Newcomer on
More and more, based on what I've seen in the public documents, they assume that everyone
has 24/7 connectivity. Given how often I have installed "Everything" for the MSDN
library, only to find it tries to link me to the Microsoft Web site, or asks me to "Please
put MSDN Library Disk 3 into the D: drive", it is clear that "Everything" means "some
stuff", and the "some" is becoming a smaller and smaller subset of the complete
documentation.

I currently have something like 7 terabytes of online storage, 5 of which are on my main
server (and another five are on my backup server, and hence simply duplicate the first
server). I DON'T CARE ABOUT DISK SPACE! Most people can add a terabyte for less than the
cost of a month's vente crappacino supply at their local Starbuckoid. Disk space is
irrelevant. Yet they keep reducing the offline content, and systematically destroy the
usability of the tools, which just doesn't make sense. I can only speak about what I see
in public documents, of course, and my experience with public distributions.

All I can say is that the current "help" product is the single worst excuse for "help" I
have seen in many years. The lack of an index or table of contents renders it completely
unusable. But it maintains the trend that every help system as delivered is far, far
worse than its predecessor. Not just a little bit worse, a WHOLE WHOPPING LOT worse. You
have to admire the consistency, I suppose. But as an end user, I find it terribly
frustrating. I can only hope that this defect will be fixed because of the outcry. Feel
free to complain, long and loud. I certainly have.
joe

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 18:31:28 -0500, Hector Santos <sant9442(a)nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

>So basically, the new era of the Microsoft software development
>requires an internet connection?
>
>All I need 80-90% of the time is a F1 Help on the cursored/highlighted
>function like the old way - what was wrong with that? Hypertext
>functionality could be as good too - and was.
>
>Makes you wonder how we got this far. :)
>
>Anyway, right now it is broken. I had to use my V6 MSDN help on the
>machine next to me and if I need something more deep or a "how to do"
>then I google, but as a quick reference, F1 dynamic help was very
>productive IMO.
>
>Thanks
>
>--
>
>Cmplx80 wrote:
>
>> Hector Santos wrote:

>>> I can't stand it.
>>>
>>> I heard a rumor that MS went back to the *.CHM help for MSDN? True,
>>> False or half true?
>>>

>> I know a lot of this is simply personal preference, but I have no love
>> for .chm as a help/documentation engine. It's okay for just linear
>> reading, but often, my searches for info in .chm docs become
>> multi-pathed, convoluted processes of clicking, viewing lists, clicking,
>> ad infinitum. I usually just give up and google it if I'm online.
>>
>> For flying through documentation, dexplorer's content, filter, index,
>> and search features are about as good as it gets...for me, that is.
>>
>> Frank
Joseph M. Newcomer [MVP]
email: newcomer(a)flounder.com
Web: http://www.flounder.com